Remove engine from top? by Castlerocco
Started on: 03-29-2020 01:58 PM
Replies: 6 (587 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-02-2020 04:54 AM
Castlerocco

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CastleroccoSend a Private Message to CastleroccoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is only the second Fiero I've owned, but I was under the impression that to pull the engine, you had to drop the cradle. That's how I did it on my last one. But I just watched a short YouTube video of a guy pulling his 2.8 out the top. Is it easier or harder that way?

------------------
Rocco:
My Project
86 Fiero SE, Stock 2.8L, 4 speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not done this from the top but my understanding is that if you remove the decklid, alternator and bracket, and the A/C compressor first, it is a hell of a lot easier. I don't know if this is true or not.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-29-2020).]

MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the answer to this question is like trying to find peace in the mid-east. If you remove out the top, watch out for the rear window.

------------------
1965 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2017 BMW X3 3.0 T
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way the fiero was put together, it was designed for the engine to come out from the bottom.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overall, it's much easier to drop it out of the bottom.
If you're just grabbing a motor out of the car with no plans on reinstalling, I could see going from the top.
However, if you plan on putting it back in, or doing a swap, dropping the cradle is a lot easier....
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled one once from the top on a parts car mainly because I didn't want the hassle of cutting all the cradle bolts...

I would never do it again. By the time you remove everything that is in the way (bay is narrower at the top), removing them in places that are not ideal for their removal to begin with, just adds a lot of delay and frustration to the process.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a friend that swore that removing the Fiero 2.8L was easier than dropping the cradle but he always did this with an auto that allows more room for lateral movement. IIRC, he said that he had to disconnect all the typical stuff plus the exhaust and deck lid. I would not do it this way but it worked for him.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock