Engine bay insulation? by Castlerocco
Started on: 03-28-2020 08:50 AM
Replies: 13 (522 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 04-10-2020 04:27 PM
Castlerocco

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CastleroccoSend a Private Message to CastleroccoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to remove all the insulation in the engine bay from the strut towers and wheel wells. It's all messed up and coming apart. Is there any reason I should replace it? Or should I just leave it off?

------------------
Rocco

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just leave it off. I did with no issues, as have many others.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took all the engine bay insulation out when a 3800 SC swap was done. It cleaned up the engine bay but too much heat goes through the firewall, the AC can't keep up. It is a black car with the Pisa Euro dash that only used the two side vents for AC air flow. I used Mighty Matt insulation with foil on both sides, it worked great, the cabin stays comfortable now during the summer. I installed it with 2 sided carpet tape.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141041.html

Ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CL...a:g:VQUAAOSwD0lUa5Rz

http://www.bgf.com/products...degrees/mighty-matt/

Castlerocco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CastleroccoSend a Private Message to CastleroccoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was no insulation on the firewall when I got the car. It's just on the sides of the engine bay. I can see installing it on the firewall, but can't fathom why you would need it on the strut towers.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not including the firewall (where it cuts down on heat transfer to the cabin), the main purpose of the insulation elsewhere in the engine bay is to cut down on noise... so it's definitely not critical to have it mounted on the strut towers.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My engine bay has no insulation anywhere, it is a much cleaner look. The Mighty Matt is on the cabin side of the firewall.

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 03-28-2020).]

Castlerocco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CastleroccoSend a Private Message to CastleroccoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I like. Nice and clean looking. I'll put up with noise for it to look good.

------------------
Rocco:
My Project
86 Fiero SE, Stock 2.8L, 4 speed

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Insulation on towers was likely to kill some engine noise and maybe prevent engine heat getting at suspension parts.
Doesn't to much of either and gets a lot of crap.

Front Firewall needs some insulation as said above.
Engine and Exhaust heats Cabin and maybe ECM w/o that.

Also See my Cave, ECM Heat to remove some insulation over it.

Many people are missing Heat Shields and won't help many things.
Firewall and trunk wall and more has them w/ or w/o insulation.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I threw out all the nasty insulation in all my engine bays. I never had any passenger compartment heat issues in summer with a/c...froze you out. I dont think I ever ran a/c at max. One of my cars was turbocharged and one was 383 v8 so they were both heat producers.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another good thing about not having the insulation, the insulation isn't there to get wet and take a long time to dry, potentially causing rust issues.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Another good thing about not having the insulation...

...is having less cozy spots for mice to hang out and make a mess.

PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the stock stuff is so full of dirt and oil I doubt it does much of anything anymore.
Castlerocco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CastleroccoSend a Private Message to CastleroccoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stripped everything but the firewall. Once I get it running, and find out if it's gotta be rebuilt, I'll pull the firewall and replace it with better insulation.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

...is having less cozy spots for mice to hang out and make a mess.

True as well!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock