Started on: 03-27-2020 11:13 AM
Replies: 16 (536 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 04-25-2020 05:56 AM
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,
Anyone else noticing an increased frequency of Fieros showing up in media articles? Not only more frequently but with positive comments. Now these have not been main stream media that I've seen, some are clickbait lists of cars, but hey its gotta start somewhere!

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer (Remember - Gravity is not a tie-down)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be because of the the new mid-engine Corvette. When you throw the term "mid-engine" out there, kinda pokes at the memory of the Fiero perhaps. Dunno...

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 03-28-2020).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait.....Fieros are MID-engined?!!

(I had no I-dea.....)
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

Hello,
Anyone else noticing an increased frequency of Fieros showing up in media articles? Not only more frequently but with positive comments. Now these have not been main stream media that I've seen, some are clickbait lists of cars, but hey its gotta start somewhere!

Yes this is why I have posted here several times the new C8 is a very good thing for the Fiero.

The take will resurrect the Fiero into the conversation and GM will finally embrace the in a positive way as they will not want much said on the negative side.

Also I see the Corvette owners accepting the Fiero. Many have treated me well and many a C8 owner may pick up a Fiero to park in their collection.

Many forget the Ferrari Dino was the red headed step Chile of Fiat/Ferrari. It was the car no one wanted and the old man never would consider it a a Ferrari. Today it is a prize model and even the old man considered it a a Ferrari before he died.

Now if we can keep the nut job owners of either from messing this up.

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think Fieros have ever been thought about in a negative way by people. Yes, the snobbish and uninformed auto writers have always taken shots at them, but I can tell you that whenever I take my mint 84 out for a summer drive, people absolutely love it. The odd person may make a fire joke, but I take that as friendly ribbing. People love the car, and just about all of them have a story about either themselves, a family member, or a friend owning one at one time or another, and what a great experience it was. I don't think I've ever had anyone say anything negative about the car in a serious way.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the C8 is definitely helping to renew focus on the Fiero, but I think it is also critical for people drive and showcase their fieros (stock and modified) at national events. That is the only way things like this happen (scroll about 1/2 way down): https://www.hotrod.com/arti...-hot-rod-power-tour/

V8 Fiero
The world is going crazy over the new mid-engine Corvette, but we think Paul Smith has the right idea with his Fiero. Initially, the Pontiac Fiero was a hit in the '80s, but the car was a bit underpowered—especially if it was outfitted with the Iron Duke four-cylinder. Some of the cars also had an unfortunate tendency to catch fire. Smith has taken care of all that by swapping in an LS4 V8, which more than doubles the power to the wheels.

Of course, shoehorning a modern V8 into a Fiero is no easy task. "There are no kits for doing this," he explains. But with a little science, and trail-and-error, he figured out how to make it work. The aluminum block LS4 came out of a 2007 Chevy Impala SS—which was front-wheel drive, by the way. Smith manufactured the engine and accessory mount brackets and even the flywheel. He found that the clutch for a Ford Ranger pickup worked well because it has the correct spline count and is 10.5 inches in diameter. To that he mounted a G6 six-speed manual transmission.

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dam nice car, enjoy. car shows will come back soon i hope
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

I don't think Fieros have ever been thought about in a negative way by people.

Then how come they sell so cheap? Money don't lie.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car & Drivel did everything they could to kill the Fiero...Back in the 80s and 90s they were extremely anti-US. Now I admit that US cars did not measure up in several ways back in the 80s...We were not used to building small cars, and our quality was not equal to the Japanese quality Via Edward Deming(An American)...But the absolute hatred that CD heaped on US autos was ridiculous. And it was obvious that they were doing everything to eliminate the Fiero.

To give you an idea how bad the Anti-American slant was at CD, David E. Davis, Editor-in-chief, LIKED the Lincoln Mk VII, but had to allow bad reviews by his staff....Shortly after his falling out with the owners of CD, he left and created Automobile magazine.

Please read both the positives (MT and R&T 1985 GT tests, 1987 R&T Special Peter Egan GT test) and the bad (Any CD test, and R&T's comparo between the 1988 Formula and the MR2 Supercharged) Putting these tests side by side will allow you to see that something was going on- I have no doubt that both CD and R&T were running a bunch of toyota advertising back then- possibly INVISIBLE- (But expensive) advertising......
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

They sell cheap cause GM made a lot of them. Fine with me, cheap hobby cars.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 04-03-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Supply > Demand
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cookies and keywords just delete your cache and stop looking and you won't see them anymore.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2020 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I think the C8 is definitely helping to renew focus on the Fiero, but I think it is also critical for people drive and showcase their fieros (stock and modified) at national events.

[/QUOTE]

I agree
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Supply > Demand

If they were perceived as desirable by the general public, demand would be a lot higher at these prices. Many cars' prices bottom out at about 20 years old. The Fiero hasn't risen much in the last 15 years. Don't you think that the 1984 Mustang is worth more as a percentage of purchase price than the 1984 Fiero?

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If they were perceived as desirable by the general public, demand would be a lot higher at these prices. Many cars' prices bottom out at about 20 years old. The Fiero hasn't risen much in the last 15 years. Don't you think that the 1984 Mustang is worth more as a percentage of purchase price than the 1984 Fiero?

jon

Supply vs demand then factored by the limited nature of 2 deat cars as generally a third car by many owners when many people can’t afford one new daily driver.

Also look at the values of most cars from 1984 to 1988 and few are work much. To be honest a clean low mike Fiero above average as a percentage of original sticker than most.

Right now the values are now just growing on the late 70’s Trans Ams with the right options.

You have C 5 owners with good clean cars struggling to get 1/4 the original sticker price.

A neighbor sold a early 1990’s Z/28 for $9k with only 17k miles never in rain with all the trick SLP parts and the original factory parts with the car.

Large supplies and low demand on many of these cars are killing values.

So many people used up the muscle cars and saved few. Today people keep cars up and they are not hard to find if you really want one.
gtjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2020 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero prices have been on the increase recently. Take a look at completed ebay listings for proof!
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2020 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The same reason that any other low priced, commuter car built many years ago is cheap. They were neither expensive nor particularly exotic or high performing, so why would they become expensive?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock