Wiper motor how to? by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 03-17-2020 12:21 PM
Replies: 6 (339 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 03-20-2020 09:59 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, my wiper motor in my 85 GT is dying.
I have never replaced a Fiero wiper motor and would like your input on how to do it, how long it takes, installation tips and finally an important question about the wiper board! Along with buying a new motor, Rockauto lists a wiper board for about $28+
I wouldn’t normally consider buying a wiper board but I am curious if this new Dorman wiper board will have the “fix” for the phantom wiper issue? Mine phantom wipes with the best of them! As an FYI I did the Rodney capacitor kit on the board years ago but it didn’t fix the phantom issue.
Please give me input!
Thanks, Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a wiper board issue in my truck and it would just top when running vs running when stopped.

Generally the boards are a Doorman and you just pull the cover off to replace them in a few min.

If replacing the entire motor. Most are on with a few bolts to the firewall. Then under the cowl cover they normally use two bolts to hook it to the transmission.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prior to 2015 I had the phantom wipe on starting the engine 2.8 and also just driving down the road. A member on here had a kit to prevent it so I bought one and it worked great. During a recent 3800sc swap I heard AcDelco had a replacement board so I removed the "Original Fix" and installed the new board.

1 year later the Phantom wipe is back. Lucky for me I saved the "Original Fix" and it's going back in.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 03-17-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actual motor removal needs wiper arm and trim removal to get at 2 nuts on the wiper trans grabs ball on the motor arm.
See my Cave, Windshield Wipe but don't need to pull the whole wiper trans.

"dying" motor can mean many things. Electrical dying more so.
Like "phantom wipes" can be the board, switch, wiring, and/or ground.

Wiper Ground is thin metal on the motor to 1 mounting bolt held by pressure compressing rubber part. Dirt etc can make crap ground and board and motor have problems.
I would first check that ground or make a jumper to ground it better.
But note Adding a wire needs to handle motor power and these typically draw 7-15 amps depending on speeds and wiper loads on dry glass etc.

Can get board and wiper at many local auto parts stores often w/ a real warranty.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all for your input.
Thanks Ogre for the Cave link and for the reminder to check the ground. I’m not the original owner but I would assume that motor is original and has never been touched.

Ok, so here is an update on the motor and what it’s doing: the motor will periodically work for a few minutes and then die. Then, if you wait awhile it will work again. Also, it will occasionally wipe kind of on the slow side. Not sure if this means the linkeage needs lubing or the motor is getting weak?
On another note, there is supposed to be a later (updated) fix to the phantom wipes. Who sells these? Kit
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can still be several things... Likely some part is getting hot and doesn't work until cools.
Example: If trans and/or ground has problems then Motor might have thermal cutoff to save it from mechanical overload, low volts, etc. (Cave, Electric Motors) I don't have a spare motor to take apart to check for this.
Board or wiper switch w/ hot part(s) can do same.

RD etc "Board Fixes" are mainly a band-aid fix at best.

Get new Dorman board and if needed new motor too.

Check the trans too. Lube 3 ball joints w/ brake grease. That won't wash out or run when hot.
If arm pivots are binding look for another trans. Clean/fix the arm pivot is hard and often doesn't last long.

Iffy Wiper Motor sometime can be save but most people don't have a clue what is their problem. IOW Many try to "rebuild" them following crap on YT et al only to fail again often in the worse weather far from home.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-19-2020).]

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks for the additional input Ogre.
I do agree that if I’m going to replace the wiper motor, you might as well totally redo the linkage assembly as well.
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock