Gutting the Fiero in the field by SamanthaM
Started on: 03-16-2020 01:53 PM
Replies: 5 (339 views)
Last post by: SamanthaM on 03-23-2020 02:53 PM
SamanthaM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 SE V6 4 speed that I am getting back into running order. But, there is an 85 4 cylinder that the engine died in sitting in the field at the farm. I have been scabbing a few miscellaneous parts out of the interior for my 86.

My question, what all should I scab off of it before it gets hauled away? The engine is blown and the car has been sitting in the weeds for 20 plus years? I have slowly been taking apart the center console since it is still in really good shape? It's the wrong color for my car, but I figured I could maybe paint it if need be? I am going to get all the plastic trim pieces off of the interior as well. But I am not sure what is actually interchangeable with my 86 as far as head lights, radiator, etc?

When I am done scabbing pieces off I am going to get body panels and glass last.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me I would grab the axles and rear spindle assembly with the brakes.The cradle is probably rotten from sitting in the grass and mud but maybe the PB cables might be worth grabbing. From the front I would take the front spindles and hub assembly because even if you dont need them you can cut the discs off and sell them in the mall for use in big brake kits. Any decent looking interiour piece is worth saving too.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much everything on that car will bolt on to yours. The radiator is thinner (less cooling capacity) than your V6 car, however.
Headlights will interchange. Suspension pieces, including all manual axles, are all interchangeable across those years.
Pretty much everything except the engine and engine wiring harness.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the info. I will def get as many pieces as I can. I will get the radiator, but I will just give it to some one who needs that particular year as I prefer the higher cooling capacity.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SamanthaM:
I have slowly been taking apart the center console since it is still in really good shape?

Be sure to get the center console "skeleton" which all the pieces attach to, and be careful !
Many no longer exist because of rough care taken to them.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Be sure to get the center console "skeleton" which all the pieces attach to, and be careful !
Many no longer exist because of rough care taken to them.

I did manage to get the complete center console and skeleton. All of it was in FANTASTIC shape. Thanks for the tip! :-)

I have now gutted most of the dash and all of the center console. I still need to take of the interior plastics around the doors though. Once I finish the interior gut I am going to remove the entire door and store it in my garage. I removed the trunk carpet and both tail light assemblies. I may try to change the color of the trunk carpet using this one and see how it goes?
There are a few pieces buried in the dash I want to rip out as well, but it got too cold and my hands quit functioning.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock