Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any interest in the Charlotte Auto Fair or the Ames Tri-Power Nationals in Norwalk?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any interest in the Charlotte Auto Fair or the Ames Tri-Power Nationals in Norwalk? by Thunderstruck GT
Started on: 02-26-2020 10:06 PM
Replies: 9 (217 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 03-01-2020 08:46 AM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2020 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually bring a very large amount of NOS Pontiac parts that take up 4 to 5 vendor spaces at these swap meets. I bring parts for pretty much every Pontiac model from '59 to '89.

Are there buyers for Fiero parts that go to these events or would I be wasting my time and valuable trailer space if I brought some of my NOS Fiero parts inventory?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
krodyob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for krodyobSend a Private Message to krodyobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in the Charlotte area and usually attend the Auto Fair. I would be interested in seeing what you have.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny enough, I'm actually in huntersville too, and have been to AF a few times over the years. I've never noticed much as far as NOS fiero parts though...
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero parts are rare at Norwalk.

They normally get 8 to 12 Fieros but many peop,e at the show have a Fiero at home.

I get a lot of GTO owners and Firebird owner ps that come by and say I have a Fiero at home.

I have picked up a few things there. One year I saw a 4 valve SD head and valve cover.

The swap meet there keeps getting bigger and bigger. The swap it best on Saturday and Sunday till about 1 pm.

I generally go on Sunday and try to stage the car and make a fast swing to the meet before they are gone.

The show is great to the Fiero people but so many never attend. We used to get over 30 cars.

They have a special top 5 best in class award and several of the Fieros have taken the award and this is the worlds largest Pontiac show. Yes bigger than Poci or any other show.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by krodyob:

I am in the Charlotte area and usually attend the Auto Fair. I would be interested in seeing what you have.

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Funny enough, I'm actually in huntersville too, and have been to AF a few times over the years. I've never noticed much as far as NOS fiero parts though...

I'll be inside the track, orange field, section VO, spaces 22, 23, 24, 25, 26. I have 2 large tents, one is red with the Pontiac arrowhead on it.

This will only be my 2nd year at Charlotte. I did Carlisle for 35 years until it became a waste of time because the people that attend turned it into a social event or stare at their phone. What Charlotte is today is what Carlisle was 20 years ago. People that go to Charlotte are on a mission and ready to buy, not kick the stones on the ground.

Norwalk will always be "the place" for Pontiacs. As far as the swap meet getting bigger..... it can't. There are 400 vendor spaces and it has been sold out every year for years. Friday is the best day if you're looking to get that hard to find part before anyone else does. Saturday until about 1:00pm is good, then the tire kickers walk around with theirs hands firmly fused to their pockets. Sunday is almost a total waste of time like any swap meet on the last day. The real dealing starts Thursday but the public does not have access to that.

If there is enough interest I will pack some NOS Fiero parts. I have a lot of used Fiero parts but quite frankly, I am not going to waste valuable trailer space for $5.00 - $20.00 used Fiero parts that someone might buy when I have people spending thousands on large purchases of NOS. In reality, I don't bring all that much used parts for any Pontiac but I do bring some.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-27-2020).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2020 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for size you have to recall I have been going since the second year.

As I said I generally only go on Sunday as I usually place and don’t want to go back for a trophy. It is a two hour drive each way.

But getting there in the AM it is noon often by the time you get the car placed and judged.

If you were to bring anything I would consider the hard to find parts like trim and interior parts. Skip fenders etc. The big stuff is everywhere but dash and console parts are not made and often are in poor condition in used cars. Good seat frames are getting harder to find as not just Fieto people are using them.

I think it would be wise to bring some smaller items that would not take a lot of space and test the market. Make sure it is stuff you can sell reasonable. While not easy to find Fiero cars are limited in value and owners are not going to spend a ton ona small part when their car may only be worth a limited amount.

Tail lights sail panels and interior parts would be the best bets. Just takes one buyer in need . Even if you don’t bring it post a list of what you have. Deals can be made.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2020 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been vending for about 40 years, know Steve Ames (the guy who's name is on the Norwalk event) personally since 1980 as well as most of the people that run Norwalk including the Baders. I think I know how it works.

My vending trailer is 5x10x6 and I have in access of $150,000.00 in current inventory. Obviously, I cannot bring it all, so I need to bring hot/sellable items. Also, these events cost me between $1500.00 - $2000.00 to do and selling penny candy just isn't going to work. So I pack the trailer from the floor to the roof and from the front to the ramp door. Sometimes I have to push on the door to get it to close.

With that said, I cannot take nice bumper covers because I find it difficult to get $100.00 for them here and in the space 1 cover takes up I can put at least $3000.00 worth of NOS parts. And it's not just Fiero parts. I threw away 750lbs. of used GTO glass.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2020 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I have been vending for about 40 years, know Steve Ames (the guy who's name is on the Norwalk event) personally since 1980 as well as most of the people that run Norwalk including the Baders. I think I know how it works.

My vending trailer is 5x10x6 and I have in access of $150,000.00 in current inventory. Obviously, I cannot bring it all, so I need to bring hot/sellable items. Also, these events cost me between $1500.00 - $2000.00 to do and selling penny candy just isn't going to work. So I pack the trailer from the floor to the roof and from the front to the ramp door. Sometimes I have to push on the door to get it to close.

With that said, I cannot take nice bumper covers because I find it difficult to get $100.00 for them here and in the space 1 cover takes up I can put at least $3000.00 worth of NOS parts. And it's not just Fiero parts. I threw away 750lbs. of used GTO glass.

Well if you know everyone and everything about the show then you know Fiero people are not looking for bumper covers or body panels. They are easy to find at home. Besides if we are driving cars where will we put them?

Like I told you now interior items, smalls and trim parts. If it will not fit in a Fieto trunk don’t bring it.

I have looked for a NOS sifter trim plate for an automatic. Never found one other than over priced ones on E bay.

Head lamp motors are good to sell as they fit Firebirds and Fieros. Also small items. Sail panels with no cracks. I have a friend in need of a passenger side now.

Just have to look at what you have and bring what you think will sell. The only sure thing is if you don’t bring any Fiero parts is you won’t sell any,

Not trying to be smart but As of now no one really has tested the waters so till someone does will never know. Just leave the body parts at home.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 02-28-2020).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2020 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel the time may not have come, but definitely near. Which is why I'm gauging the response. As the cheapies and junkers dwindle and customizers hack up what's left, the quality originals will dominate the scene. Those are the people that will want and be willing to pay for the quality parts left out there.

Pricing for NOS parts seems to follow what is on Ebay and Ebay has always been a good guide. When people here think NOS GT quarter windows for $1000.00 (or more) is insane, someone on Ebay has no problem paying that price because his car is worth it. Yet, someone else sees a spoiler for $300.00 on Ebay and feels one for $25.00 is a bargan. Maybe.... Maybe not. You always get what you pay for. I have a spoiler that I will let go for $200.00. Cheaper that $300.00, but to me, if $25.00 is all someone thinks that is all they are going to pay mine can sit another 10 -15 years.

I realize my parts are not for everybody, but if people are looking for old (antique) car parts cheap, they better hope Goodwill starts selling them.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-28-2020).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2020 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The value is market driven and to this point there are few NOS parts. When you find them the prices are all over but they are difficult to find.

I really wonder how many NOS parts are really out there as many were bought up by owners when the cars were discontinued. Many vanished. Many of my Fiero friends are sitting on small number of parts but they are for their own use not resale.

Used parts like body parts are very common and seldom are able to be used.

Engine parts outside valve covers and intakes are still easy to find.

Things that go bad are headlamp motors in high demand, interior parts of what ever TFS has not reproduced.

The real issue is people who have much in their cars are low mile cars that have few needs or modified cars not using NOS parts. The larger segment are people with low cost unrestored cars that they want to fix up but are not willing to pay a ton for NOS parts unless they are critical parts.

It is hard for them to pay a grand for a part on a car they only have $3k in.

Many of the high need parts like TTop parts are just not around. I bought some just incase I dropped a top as if you do most use tops are not in as good of shape as what I have.

It is just one of those cases where in time you will find the person in need but how long is the question.

If you buy, own or sell parts for a a Fiero you don’t do it to get rich.

Of late most of us can buy a car that was parked and get a good number of parts for $100. Frames are wasted engines are toast but the rest is good and there are a number of the sitting around. Most are glad to get them hauled away. That right now is were the used market is.

One part that you may want to focus on is fuel tanks. Good ones are getting rare. We have a 35k mile car that has set for years and it just needed brake lines and fuel tank. We could get new lines but the tank was hard to find. The car was worth the investment since it was inside.

Hard to say we’re the future goes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock