High Mileage Adventures - 88' by Vicophine
Started on: 02-12-2020 10:22 AM
Replies: 12 (437 views)
Last post by: Vicophine on 02-20-2020 07:26 PM
Vicophine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to start this new thread by saying this is a time capsule, I have been taking photos, videos, and generally working off and on with my Fiero since I purchased it in 09/09/2018.

I purchased this car from a lovely gentleman in Jackson, MI on September 9th, 2018. I always had a weird curiosity and fascination with these cars since I saw one for sale at a used car dealership in the 90's. I remember telling my parents then as a young boy that I wanted this car, and someday I'd have one. Well, sure enough, I made that small dream come true!
My roommate has an 84 Fiero in "rough" shape that was left to him by his father, that sparked my interest back in these little cars as we had the Iron Duke replaced to get it out of the front hard of the house.

Found this Fiero for sale about 2 hours away from me for $1,000 - Looked like it had been taken care of spectacularly, and it was a father/son original owner. Owner was a member of the Michigan Fiero Club! The person who owned this car was a Pontiac designer back when the car was in production and had a hand in the design apparently.

Here are some photos of the car from right before I purchased it:

It is an 88, 4 cylinder with the 3 speed automatic. Bone stock. Only options are rear defrost, cruise (non functioning) and power windows (if that was even optional by 88). The real kicker and why it was so cheap, car came with 260,000 MILES. Original motor and transmission!

[This message has been edited by Vicophine (edited 02-12-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thing I did once I got the car was flip the oil and get new tires, as I had to drive the car 2 hours back home on OLD, HARD tires.
Here is me after having driven it home!

Was missing the front and side emblems, driver side rear brake light. Sourced the light from a local junkyard and ordered replacement emblems. In between doing this, I got the Fiero a semi professional photoshoot!

Replaced the tires, fixed a massive trans leak as well! Been slowly building her up. I like to think of it as a poor mans restomod.

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vicophine:
Looked like it had been taken care of spectacularly, and it was a father/son original owner ... The real kicker and why it was so cheap, car came with 260,000 MILES. Original motor and transmission!

It would be fun to see the maintenance log to see if they were doing just the 'recommended' items or kid glove treatment. That little time capsule really is a testament to what a Fiero can do when really taken care of properly. We see far too many beat up ones selling at that price point.
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

It would be fun to see the maintenance log to see if they were doing just the 'recommended' items or kid glove treatment. That little time capsule really is a testament to what a Fiero can do when really taken care of properly. We see far too many beat up ones selling at that price point.

The previous owner thankfully provided me with a LARGE binder full of records dating back to 1988! The only problem with the car now is the undercarriage is quite rusty, being a Michigan vehicle and all. However, I do plan on fixing that, I am not giving up on the car nor will I ever scrap it. Rust, while it cannot be fixed, can be replaced and treated.
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vicophine

102 posts
Member since Mar 2019
After fixing the transmission leak, replaced the breaks with run of the mill parts - Now I plan on fully upgrading them this year.

Now I need to make this very clear, before purchasing this car, I barely knew how to change the oil on a car. Replacing wipers was considered "advanced" to me. So I took the opportunity as a then 27 year old man to "get to learnin'!"

This forum, and many other sites and groups have been incredibly helpful in teaching this novice basic things from what oil to use, to wiring diagrams, to engine swap ideas (more on that later!), so thank you!

While my Iron Duke definitely has life left after 270,000 miles, I feel like a 3800SC is perfect for my car, but a little far out of my current budget and my skillset, so I bought a parts car to practice on! Got an 85 V6 for pennies, with the help of some friends, pulled the motor, and am currently in the slow, stop and go process of practicing on rebuilding the stock V6.

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vicophine

102 posts
Member since Mar 2019
In between learning how to rebuild an engine and transmission, I also learned how to drive stick in my roommates 84 SE! I love driving stick so much now, my daily is now a 2013 Accord V6 6-speed manual! It's soooo fast and torquey! Anyways back to Fiero's!

84 SE!

While working on the engine/transmission from the parts car, I did the ONE thing I am confident in! Interior customization and modification. I want to retain the stock look as much as possible without sacrificing comfort or functionality. I purchased a modified Monsoon radio from a Firebird, Mr. Good's interior pieces as well! Next up is most likely going to be Mr. Mike's seats! Also added in the rear speaker wall just this week!

Bye bye parts car roller!

I have plenty of long term plans for this tired Fiero, including lowering, have 88 GT honeycomb rims to install sometime soon, and replace/brighten the interior and exterior lights. I hope to swap in a 3800SC someday when I get my own garage or if one catches my eye! In the mean time, I will use this forum post to document my progress, my education, and join in the fellowship of this astounding community. Hope to see you all around Michigan!

NOTE: Will update photos as I find them and take them! Many small modifications have taken place!

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is an 88, 4 cylinder with the 3 speed automatic. Bone stock. Only options are rear defrost, cruise (non functioning) and power windows (if that was even optional by 88).

From your pictures is looks like it also has power door locks. Both power windows and door locks were options and kind of unusual for a base coupe (most were manual).

Does it have AC? In reality, your coupe is actually pretty well optioned. There were only so many things available on the base coupe and yours looks to have them all.
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

From your pictures is looks like it also has power door locks. Both power windows and door locks were options and kind of unusual for a base coupe (most were manual).

Does it have AC? In reality, your coupe is actually pretty well optioned. There were only so many things available on the base coupe and yours looks to have them all.

Yes, mine has AC, cruise, power windows, and rear defrost (though I'm not sure if the rear defrost works or it's a placebo effect).

I'll take a pic of the RPO codes this evening! Now I am curious..

It's funny that you say that it's well optioned, I'm not disagreeing at all, I guess it's just you do not see or hear about many 88 base coupes ever?

[This message has been edited by Vicophine (edited 02-13-2020).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, mine has AC, cruise, power windows, and rear defrost (though I'm not sure if the rear defrost works or it's a placebo effect).

I'll take a pic of the RPO codes this evening! Now I am curious..

It's funny that you say that it's well optioned, I'm not disagreeing at all, I guess it's just you do not see or hear about many 88 base coupes ever?

It sounds like the only option you are missing is a sunroof or T-tops. I prefer the hardtop myself, so to me it's a plus.

The base coupes & Formulas only had a handful of options available to them. Yours has them all except for the roof, so believe it or not....your coupe is very well optioned!

Available options on coupes & Formulas are: power windows, power door locks, AC, tilt, cruise, AM/FM cass., rear defogger, sunroof or T-tops, auto. trans, passenger vanity mirror (on sunvisor) & trunk light.

You could get a rear spoiler on a base coupe, but only with the W02 option package (Western Edition). These were available in red or white and also included color coded lower rocker panels & lower rear bumper (instead of black).

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

It sounds like the only option you are missing is a sunroof or T-tops. I prefer the hardtop myself, so to me it's a plus.

The base coupes & Formulas only had a handful of options available to them. Yours has them all except for the roof, so believe it or not....your coupe is very well optioned!

Available options on coupes & Formulas are: power windows, power door locks, AC, tilt, cruise, AM/FM cass., rear defogger, sunroof or T-tops, auto. trans, passenger vanity mirror (on sunvisor) & trunk light.

You could get a rear spoiler on a base coupe, but only with the W02 option package (Western Edition). These were available in red or white and also included color coded lower rocker panels & lower rear bumper (instead of black).

Interesting, here is the codes!
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tested out the speakers today, works great! Might need to add more insulation/sound deadening material down the line but I am happy with it!

Took it for a car wash in 20 degree weather was fun, think I killed a headlight, thankfully I have a spare I'll get too but I'm probably going to upgrade to LEDs here very soon while I'm at it. Runs REALLY rough now due to cold/not starting in a few months, needs an oil change and other maintenance! Ready to dive in! (Once tax returns clear..)

PFF
System Bot
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vicophine

102 posts
Member since Mar 2019
Nabbed these GT lace wheels off eBay, need a bit more TLC then I thought, cleaned them up a bit myself but I think they'll need to be refinished properly. Thankfully there is a place within 3 minutes of the house! Going back to stock and lowering the car.
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced the front lights today! It was seriously the easiest job I've ever done on this car. Twenty minutes, max! Now it won't be scary driving after dark! And also messed around with some LEDs, still need to figure out the app for it a bit, not 100% confident with it, also the power draw seems to be... Odd.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock