Pennock's not Pennock's? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 02-11-2020 07:38 AM
Replies: 98 (2320 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 02-17-2020 04:55 PM
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboyClick Here to Email da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I admit, I was one of the people who wasn't aware that the FB page wasn't owned by Pennocks. FB is ok, until it's time to search for something that was posted as a past event.
IP: Logged
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 275
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some SEO optimization would certainly help, as the forum should be the first hit when anyone is searching for Fieros. In addition to that someone mentioned a modernization of the site look and feel. While it would help I cannot imagine what a huge undertaking that would be, unless you wanted to "Archive" the old site (make it a searchable database) and simply port users onto the new one.

It's true that internet forums aren't in vogue with younger users, but it remains one of the best ways to have detailed conversations with others about complex issues. I cannot fathom trying to read through a troubleshooting thread on Facebook.

Selfishly, I hope this site never goes away, or at minimum users are allowed to purchase the site on disk before shutdown. In a lot of ways, this site and the information it contains is one of the last unexplored links I have with my Dad. For whatever reason, he never shared a lot on information with me about this car; despite him knowing of our mutual interest. I was never as mechanically inclined as him, he was never as computer savvy as me; we all have our specialties. Whenever I would ask about what was going on with the Fiero, he would just give me a short description, if I asked for details he would gloss over, I don't know why.

I know he never intended me to get the car, mentioning in his build thread that he would have to sell it after his stroke; although I assume that had more to do with him being concerned about outliving his retirement and knowing I couldn't afford to purchase it from him.

And now, whether intended or not, I have this legacy to carry on; and the best person to help me care for and keep this thing on the road only exists here, through the magic of a search button and posting history.

For the final 15 years of his life he interacted with family, car nuts at drives and shows, and the members of the forum here. For those of you that interacted with him on the forums, that makes you among those that knew him best. When I come here looking for an answer through his post history or asking you guys, it's like being able to pick his brain. I hope I am able to do that for a while yet.

D

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 02-14-2020).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been coming here for almost 20 years and like others have said, its the first place I visit each day, and the last site I visit before bed. I'd hate to see it go away. I don't think it needs any updates, it works just fine as it is. Only thing I wish we could have done was force everyone to place photo's on the Pennocks Server so we could see all the images from the older threads. Some great info out there but w/ out photo's its kind of wasted. If you do decide to end the forum, please allow us to purchase a copy of the database. Just don't forget that not all of us have DVD drives, so make it available on USB drives too.

Rob
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageClick Here to Email smartaxelSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

I'm sorry things have changed so much for you over the years. I hope in some way this forum can become a source of income, or lead to a better future for you. I just have a few thoughts since so many others have already expressed good ones..

1. I cannot post using an Android phone, so I barely post anymore. Ever since the more mobile verrsion was created, It does not allow you to place a password in the field, so you cant actually log in.. When you go to reply to a post and click the password field, the keyboard pops up and immmediately goes away. Had this same issue on a few Android phones so gave up attempting to post fromthem. Also, the format goes a little wierd -placing the Forum banner as a floater across the middle screen, covering the thread itself, so you have to move the posts around the floating banner to read them. It looks wierd, and makes where folks can't post, nor easily read all the posts. This could be an issue that leads to less traffic, and certainly less positng since so many of us seem to live off mobile devices. . (I grabbed a laptop to post this, but normally would have read the forum from a mobile).

2. What about reaching out to the established Fiero Clubs and having a small section up top for links to each of them. Maybe charge a small monthly (or yearly fee)., and post their club logo with a link to their websites. It's not clutter, won't be an obtrusive ad, would actually provide a service to both you and the clubs, and maybe a source of income to you?

3. As a longtime member of this forum (At least 20 + years at this point), I'd love a copy of all the posts - 30 gigs or not. If you were able to somehow bundle it and sell that I'm sure quite a few of us would buy a copy. There is so much history here.

4. I have changed cars a lot over the years. Sold all the Fieros, bought one again, but no matter what cars I've had, there was always helpful info on this forum about them (Had an LS4, Grand Prix etc) and when looking to fight some issue, oddly i always found good info here, so I truly hope it stays Pennocks.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smartaxel, I use android, Samsung S9, and dont have an issue. Some may for some reason? I do know you have to log in, and then go to a post to reply or post.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageClick Here to Email smartaxelSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5. Yeah, apparently if I log in ahead of time, it captures the password and works. (Thanks!). I'm posting this from the phone. Otherwise it doesnt at all. Samsung a20 here, and Moto g7 power, both with the issue. Not sure folks would know they had to log on first. I totally didn't. Thanks!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 695
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

1. I cannot post using an Android phone, so I barely post anymore. Ever since the more mobile verrsion was created, It does not allow you to place a password in the field, so you cant actually log in... When you go to reply to a post and click the password field, the keyboard pops up and immmediately goes away.

Well, that's odd. It isn't supposed to do that. I have no issues on my Android phone.

Also, the format goes a little wierd -placing the Forum banner as a floater across the middle screen, covering the thread itself, so you have to move the posts around the floating banner to read them.

The forum banner should be on the top, not the middle of the screen (see below screenshots)

2. What about reaching out to the established Fiero Clubs and having a small section up top for links to each of them. Maybe charge a small monthly (or yearly fee)., and post their club logo with a link to their websites. It's not clutter, won't be an obtrusive ad, would actually provide a service to both you and the clubs, and maybe a source of income to you?

Yes, I like that idea.

Anyway, I'm not sure why it looks and works so weird on your phone. I've attached a few screenshots of how it is supposed to look.

Also, if you are on your mobile phone, rotating your phone to landscape mode causes the forum to automatically switch to "classic" GUI.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I know what caused the "floating" forum banner on some devices. That should be fixed now. Still no idea why you aren't able to enter your password. Perhaps it was caused by the same problem.
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The banner also "floats" in the middle of the screen for me, most of the time. I'm on a Galaxy S8 using the DuckDuckGo browser. It's kind of a nuisance, but when I'm on my phone I can just work around it.

I've been here for almost 20 years. I found my way here from one of the old Fiero mailing lists. Although I'm not very active, I can't really imagine the Fiero scene without PFF.

EDIT: **And, just like that, it's fixed.**

[This message has been edited by FieroJimmy (edited 02-15-2020).]

OXFDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OXFDFIEROSend a Private Message to OXFDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An some of us will never understand why we have pay for a community we’ve contributed to for over decade..This is getting absolutely ridiculous an probably why a lot fellow members find themselves opening up an actual shop manual before we ever get any suggestions from something else we’re eventually going to have pay for 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

87 blu quad fourmula out
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OXFDFIERO:

An some of us will never understand why we have pay for a community we’ve contributed to for over decade..This is getting absolutely ridiculous an probably why a lot fellow members find themselves opening up an actual shop manual before we ever get any suggestions from something else we’re eventually going to have pay for 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

87 blu quad fourmula out

Not sure what you are saying here. You think it's ridiculous I'm trying to make a buck off of PFF? And that's the reason people don't come here anymore?
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageClick Here to Email smartaxelSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I think I know what caused the "floating" forum banner on some devices. That should be fixed now. Still no idea why you aren't able to enter your password. Perhaps it was caused by the same problem.

The floater is fixed. The password issue not yet. (Thanks for floater). When you click the password field, the keyboard pops up for maybe a second then goes away immediately. You can't enter a password without the keyboard. Pics below

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageClick Here to Email smartaxelSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OXFDFIERO:

87 blu quad fourmula out

Oxf,

Its costly to run the site. Hosting costs money, storage costs money, and there is all the time Cliff has to spend managing things and dealing with general stupidity and drama that comes with a forum. I dont see how anyone would not understand that he should make a few dollars (some compensation) for managing this place for 20 years. I manage a few websites for people (for free) and find it a general pain in the butt. It's time consuming, and time is worth money.. especially as we are all getting older and dont have as much time left as we used to.

Cliff- no matter what you do, I think Facebook will take a huge chunk of traffic. Current generation prefers handheld devices and Facebook for everything. That may change as Millenials dont seem to like Facebook as much, but arguably they arent into cars that much either. I think all forums will dwindle, no.matter how good they are.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

When you click the password field, the keyboard pops up for maybe a second then goes away immediately.

Which browser are you using?
IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Which browser are you using?

When you find out, let him know that he has 43 pages opened
Trinten

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff,

I can understand the situation you're in. About a decade ago, another large auto-hobby conglomerate (Andy's auto or something), was on a buying spree, and bought up a huge Ford forum, and a few of the GM forums. Thankfully, the look and feel didn't change much, and the mods were allowed to keep being mods if they wanted.

Some forums, including car forums and other hobbies, have small "member packets" for the paying members each year. In addition to the option of the dedicated sub forum (I know I wouldn't mind moving my N.C. Fiero site here, especially with some of the hosting issues I was/am having), the other plays had little things each year, member badges and such. And I would just point my domain to my 'sub forum' here, so more ad traffic for you!

I chip in a little to you each year, but I would much rather pay more monthly/yearly, than see this place go away. I do not, and will not, use facebook.

I talk with other guys who are on the "car groups" on facebook... and there's no history, no "threads", just constant churning of the same damn questions. Now I know that happens here, from people either not using search, or too many threads popping up because they go off topic.

I also would gladly pay you for a way to export my private messages. I could probably find a faster way to compile them into coherent Word files that way, versus the cut-paste-format-edit method I've been trying. lol

Sorry to hear there's a Facebook PFF impostor.

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 02-16-2020).]

jlhuber

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jlhuberClick Here to Email jlhuberSend a Private Message to jlhuberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been a member here for years. I do not actually post much, as I am not terribly social, however there is a plethora of information on this site. *IF* you do decide to shut it down or sell it off, I would gladly pay for a copy of the content, as some others have mentioned. I pray things turn around for you soon, and you are able to keep the forum up and going.

------------------
--Jess

'87GT - stock cruiser
'86SE - parts car
'85SE - ...eh, ...missing the chassis

"If you expect the unexpected, was it really even UNexpected in the first place?"

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2020 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTClick Here to Email CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those that haven't set up a monthly reoccurring donation yet, it's easy.

http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...nounce&ForumNumber=1

$1 a month = $12 a year
$5 a month = $60 a year

A dollar a month vs losing this site. It's an easy decision. Just do it.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2020 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, are you still selling the PFF on CD? Does it have all of the pictures in the messages? I know that some of the pics have been removed to save server space but I was wondering if the CD has the pics?

BTW, you should increase your price. It's still a great deal at twice the price.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay