Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  BC Racing is interested in making coilovers (read 1st)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
BC Racing is interested in making coilovers (read 1st) by BV MotorSports
Started on: 02-10-2020 04:00 PM
Replies: 22 (1268 views)
Last post by: EyeAmZoom on 06-16-2022 05:57 PM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit to add 2/21***

We have 2 of each suspension types on the list and the owners information was provided to BC for consideration. Please dont harass me or get pissy about who was submitted. It's out of my control as to whom BC chooses. Those that stepped forward and offered to help with the project before there was any mention of 'free stuff" were given priority. That's as fair as I can do it. It was the right thing to do.

Got a reply from BC Racing. For those that are interested in using their vehicle for R&D, I think you're gonna be quite happy if BC chooses you. Remember, we are looking for a completely stock (down to the rims) 84-88 Fiero. BC is located in Orlando, Florida.

Vincent,

Thank you for contacting us.

Looking at our current R&D workload, we would not be able to give the Fiero any consideration until mid April at this time.

Typically the way this works for a new chassis is as follows:

The vehicle has to be in our care for at least two weeks in order to be able to ship off a complete OEM front and rear to overseas for R&D and prototyping.

If the customer is in urgent need of the vehicle being returned, we can reinstall the suspension and return the vehicle until the prototype kit is received.

We will then schedule an installation to include road testing with a time frame of about 1 week. We would sponsor the cost of the kit and set the vehicle up to the customers preference so when he/she arrives once testing is complete, they are ready to drive off.

The vehicle would kept inside of our facility in our mechanics bay under 24 hour surveillance. The only people allowed the drive the vehicle is myself as I am the tech lead as well as our GM. All work performed will be done by one individual.

Regards,

Sam

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 02-22-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
StreetRod4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be all over this if I lived down that way. Good luck 👍
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to contact Central Florida Fieros club....They are based in Orlando. They have a website with Forum.....
86FieroCentPa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroCentPaSend a Private Message to 86FieroCentPaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't offer a car, but I would 100% be down for a set for an 88. I'll be following this post.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent to you BV.
Dspoeth

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DspoethSend a Private Message to DspoethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a reply from BC Racing. For those that are interested in using their vehicle for R&D, I think you're gonna be quite happy if BC chooses your vehicle!

Vincent,

Looking at our current R&D workload, we would not be able to give the Fiero any consideration until mid April at this time.

The vehicle has to be in our care for at least two weeks in order to be able to ship off a complete OEM front and rear to overseas for R&D and prototyping.

If the customer is in urgent need of the vehicle being returned, we can reinstall the suspension and return the vehicle until the prototype kit is received.

We will then schedule an installation to include road testing with a time frame of about 1 week. We would sponsor the cost of the kit and set the vehicle up to the customers preference so when he/she arrives once testing is complete, they are ready to drive off.

The vehicle would kept inside of our facility in our mechanics bay under 24 hour surveillance. The only people allowed the drive the vehicle is myself as I am the tech lead as well as our GM. All work performed will be done by one individual.

Regards,

Sam

So yes, the Fieros selected to be used for R&D will get the new BC Racing coilovers for free!

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 02-20-2020).]

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Got a reply from BC Racing. For those that are interested in using their vehicle for R&D, I think you're gonna be quite happy if BC chooses your vehicle!

Vincent,

Regards,

Sam

So yes, the Fieros selected to be used for R&D will get the new BC Racing coilovers for free!

I won't be able to help as I'm way up in 15 degree Michigan, but I really hope this gets going. My next project is to replace/rebuild my 88 base coupe front & rear suspension and options are extremely limited!
86FieroCentPa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroCentPaSend a Private Message to 86FieroCentPaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping this.... I'd imagine COVID-19 might have slowed down BC's R&D efforts....
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FieroCentPa:

Bumping this.... I'd imagine COVID-19 might have slowed down BC's R&D efforts....

Also whatever demand there may have been has likely evaporated.

In times of recession, people aren't inclined to spend money on frivolous expenses such as aftermarket coilover shocks... these are simply toys for adults with disposable money they want to burn. As I also work in the field of building toys for grown-ups, I'm all too aware of this.
Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hell, we've all slowed down for awhile, but that doesn't mean my fiero has to. Press on BV Motorsports, my 88 needs a set.
PFF
System Bot
86FieroCentPa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2020 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroCentPaSend a Private Message to 86FieroCentPaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump

Did BC end up looking at a Fiero yet or is everything on hold?
EyeAmZoom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2021 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EyeAmZoomSend a Private Message to EyeAmZoomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figure I'll bump for 2021. Did this every get off the ground?
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2021 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the advantage of coil overs in a fiero? I am not trying to tuck things inside fenders rather make the fenders fit the wheels. I think they will travel shorter less roll but that isn't convincing as stock springs are long. If you race and have tried various setups would like your opinion. I have bumpsteer kit swaybars with epache springs kyb struts.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 06-29-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2021 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For my 1985 car, I was switching to 88 rear suspension so I needed to go to Coil-overs; The shock towers are wider on the 84-87 while the 88 struts must angle inward more so the OE coils will not clear the towers.

If you are going to really wide rear tires and wheels, coil-overs allow for more room.

Also, if you are into tuning the suspension for the best handling, most production cars have small variations, so having Adjustable coil-overs allows you to balance the car so it handles the same in left and right turns. My car when balanced properly is 570 lbs on each front wheel and 750 lbs on each rear- but when I first weighed it, I found it was off diagonally; Something like 600/540 front and 720/780 rear. This would make the car have more understeer in right turns and more oversteer in left turns.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2021 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Orlando in the house !
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

What is the advantage of coil overs in a fiero? I am not trying to tuck things inside fenders rather make the fenders fit the wheels. I think they will travel shorter less roll but that isn't convincing as stock springs are long. If you race and have tried various setups would like your opinion. I have bumpsteer kit swaybars with epache springs kyb struts.

Outside of attaining a bit more clearance for wider wheels/tires into the rear it really just comes down to being able to find a large assortment of spring rates (to match motion ratios F/R), preloading, and height adjustability.. All of which are important if you are attempting to attain the best handling car you can....road racing, scca, etc.. I'm not downplaying them at all, just stating that they aren't really needed until you get into the finer points of handling at the limits (and to some degree VERY spirited driving)

Best to start with matching tire width to your weight distribution first and going from there....

just my .02

[This message has been edited by msweldon (edited 06-30-2021).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock (88 front, all rear) shock+spring combos are all coil-over-shock on Fieros.

We should not conflate the coilover concept with the "coilover ecosystem" of standard interchangeable springs.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive reached out twice to BC racing. I have yet to get a reply. Who knows if my POC still works there. The last reply I received was that they were still interested in taking on the project, they were experiencing material and supply issues like the rest of the world.
EyeAmZoom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EyeAmZoomSend a Private Message to EyeAmZoomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had emailed sales last week and they said

"Unfortunately we do not offer a kit for the Pontiac Fierro at the moment."

Doesn't mean it's not in progress, also doesn't mean that particular person actually knew anything about developing setups.

I'd honestly rather go the Fortune Auto route. Cost more but they're made and assembled in the US.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2021 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EyeAmZoom:

I had emailed sales last week and they said

"Unfortunately we do not offer a kit for the Pontiac Fierro at the moment."

Doesn't mean it's not in progress, also doesn't mean that particular person actually knew anything about developing setups.

I'd honestly rather go the Fortune Auto route. Cost more but they're made and assembled in the US.

I like the idea of Fortune Auto as well. By all means, reach out to them.

Sam is my poc @ BC Racing. See below:

Tech Department <tech@bcracing-na.com>

Vincent,

All projects are on hold at this time until the pandemic situation resolves it self as we have some employees that are immunocompromised.

Regards,

Sam

Previous email shows we were really close before covid screwed us over. I had already supplied them with a list of Fiero owners that offered to supply their car (before we found out theyd get free coilovers) and we were just waiting for our turn to start development.

Vincent,

Regards,

Sam

------------------
BVMotorSPorts on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/bvm03
1988 Fiero GT Honda K24 swap, turbo, w2a intercooling, the works!
1987 Fiero GT aka The Blur Honda K20 swap

ƒ13r0'$ rµ£3

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Fieroguru has already had these kits available for a few years. He even offers different levels in case you already have some of the parts and don't need a complete kit. Unless BC is making front coilovers, there's no point in pushing the issue with them.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-11-2021).]

EyeAmZoom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2022 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EyeAmZoomSend a Private Message to EyeAmZoomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

So Fieroguru has already had these kits available for a few years. He even offers different levels in case you already have some of the parts and don't need a complete kit. Unless BC is making front coilovers, there's no point in pushing the issue with them.

That would be the point though, to get a complete set from one manufacturer. Wouldn't have to piece together a front and rear setup.

[This message has been edited by EyeAmZoom (edited 06-16-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock