Shipping costs, TFS and RD by montegut
Started on: 02-08-2020 07:20 AM
Replies: 42 (1167 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 02-21-2020 08:11 AM
montegut

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for montegutSend a Private Message to montegutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don’t like what seems like high shipping and handling costs charged by TFS and Rodney Dickman but I think we have all been spoiled by the “Amazon primes” and “free shipping with orders over $25” of the world. These two retailers are the ONLY businesses supplying large numbers of parts and accessories to help us keep our cars on the road. If I need something I figure in the cost of S&H and then decide if I will make the purchase. I still shop around. I don’t think Rodney is living in a mansion on the hill because of the money S&H brings in. I try to support these vendors as much as I can and if I need to pay a little more on mark up, S&H than so be it. Let’s hope “Rodney Dickman Fiero Parts” is still open for business next year! Thank you Rodney and TFS.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Internet shopping (Amazon, Rock Auto, etc) may save you a buck or three today, but when your local retailers close up shop, your property taxes will sky rocket.

Internet shopping is foolish in the long run, and should only be used to source hard to find items.

The Fiero community is fortunate to have vendors like TFS and RD.
Support them whenever you are able.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. Try living in Canada and ordering from the US. Lol shipping sometimes is as much as the item and we still run the risk of duty. That’s why I do bulk orders with friends. It’s still worth it. We can’t get anything local.
nosaint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just paid 150 usd for shipping to canada for the fiero store....sucks
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shipping is crazy to begin with. 95% of the vendors have ZERO control over it. Just because Amazon, cRock Auto, etc. offers free shipping doesn't mean a small vendor can or is even able to. Some of you people think and act like these small guys are F'ing you because they're millionaires. WRONG! If it was that easy to become a millionaire selling collector car parts, especially FIERO PARTS, everyone would be selling them.

My suggestion..... If you don't like the cost of shipping or want FREE shipping, buy all your Fiero parts (new and used) from Amazon or cRock Auto. Oh that's right..... You can't.

Rant and enlightenment over.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So that's my next question for those who live in Canada. You have NO local auto parts stores up there? Almost every engine part can be ordered from O'reilleys, Autozone, or other automotive parts stores.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-08-2020).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007

Originally posted by nosaint:

Do you mind if I ask, what did you order?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Internet shopping (Amazon, Rock Auto, etc) may save you a buck or three today, but when your local retailers close up shop, your property taxes will sky rocket.

Internet shopping is foolish in the long run, and should only be used to source hard to find items.

That's an important point. I can't even count how many times I've read on here about people buying common items from the Fiero Store, such as spark plugs, distributor cap, water pump, wiper blades, etc, that they could get over the counter at their local store without any shipping charges. Or heavy or bulky items.... I can get a Fiero radiator at Autozone and even if they have to order it from their warehouse there will be no shipping charges and I can inspect it in the store before I buy it.

EDIT: IMSA posted almost exactly the same thing while I was typing.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 02-08-2020).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

......no shipping charges and I can inspect it in the store before I buy it.

Key point which is my gripe. See it before you buy it so you verify it isn't damaged or some cheap reproduction part that won't fit the car.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-08-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While Rodney's shipping is not free (It says so, right on his page) I have never thought it to be unreasonable. It costs money to ship. Even little stuff.

TFS? I'll reserve comment. Haven't bought anything from them in a while.

The only reason I buy from Amazon, is that stuff that I want (not always Fiero related - or even car related) is not available locally. Or not when I need it.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Canada has lots of auto parts suppliers. The prices frequently make It seem like they could buy from American retail sources and re-sell.
Choice seems very limited as well, and you typically have to call to find out what is available and the price. Fiero unique parts are scarce.
Rock Auto for example usually has many choices and you can choose your shipping preference.

Being Canadian currently adds about 35% to the price for the exchange rate charged by credit card companies.
There's usually no duty on auto parts, but 13% Harmonized Sales Tax is frequently added on top of the American sales tax (if charged) and the 35% exchange rate.

Couriers sometimes charge fees to collect brokerage fees and sales taxes in addition to the posted shipping rates. I avoid couriers if at all possible.
USPS is my first choice for small packages; they frequently come right to my house or mailbox without any additional fees or taxes.
Some American vendors sometimes have fee continental US shipping; others have no Canadian shipping available or it's a zillion dollars.
For heavier or bulky parts that are too expensive via USPS/Canada Post, I have delivery made to a 24/7 Parcel in Niagara Falls NY 20 minutes from my house.
For $3 US per parcel, I can go over the border at my convenience (24/7) and pick the stuff up.

I've been satisfied with purchases from The Fiero Store, Rodney Dickman, Rock Auto and a few other small and national American vendors.
Unfortunately, the landed CDN $ cost is as much as double the US $ catalogue price.

Of course, it's fabulous that we can get what we need from a variety of sources and I hope that continues indefinitely.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 02-08-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1581 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by css9450:
I can't even count how many times I've read on here about people buying common items from the Fiero Store, such as spark plugs, distributor cap, water pump, wiper blades, etc, that they could get over the counter at their local store without any shipping charges.

I got a distributor cap, rotor and wires for my '84 SE from a local CarQuest supplier last week for $76 Cdn.
My Rock Auto choices would have been $73 Cdn (including $14 Cdn delivery).
TFS kit (including plugs) or cap rotor and wires separately delivered would have been $125 Cdn (or perhaps less if I called and requested USPS delivery since the quoted delivery was $55 Cdn).

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 02-08-2020).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Canada has lots of auto parts suppliers. The prices frequently make It seem like they could buy from American retail sources and re-sell.
Choice seems very limited as well, and you typically have to call to find out what is available and the price.
Rock Auto for example usually has many choices and you can choose your shipping preference.

Being Canadian currently adds about 35% to the price for the exchange rate charged by credit card companies.
There's usually no duty on auto parts, but 13% Harmonized Sales Tax is frequently added on top of the American sales tax (if charged) and the 35% exchange rate.

Couriers sometimes charge fees to collect brokerage fees and sales taxes in addition to the posted shipping rates. I avoid couriers if at all possible.
USPS is my first choice for small packages; they frequently come right to my house or mailbox without any additional fees or taxes.
Some American vendors sometimes have fee continental US shipping; others have no Canadian shipping available or it's a zillion dollars.
For heavier or bulky parts that are too expensive via USPS/Canada Post, I have delivery made to a 24/7 Parcel in Niagara Falls NY 20 minutes from my house.
For $3 US per parcel, I can go over the border at my convenience (24/7) and pick the stuff up.

I've been satisfied with purchases from The Fiero Store, Rodney Dickman, Rock Auto and a few other small and national American vendors.
Unfortunately, the landed CDN $ cost is as much as double the US $ catalogue price.

Of course, it's fabulous that we can get what we need from a variety of sources and I hope that continues indefinitely.

And that is why I have no problem meeting a Canadian in Lewiston, NY. I also have a couple of Canadian friends that will have their orders, like from Summit Racing, shipped to my house. They pay me a visit to pick up their parts, we talk about cars and have a few beers. All's good!

Shipping can be insane for Canadians and most buyers or sellers are in Ontario.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My basic parts buying philosophy is A) Local car parts stores (O'Reilly, Napa or (Preferably) Mom & Pop operations), then the Fiero store and Rodney Dickman, and then Summit and Amazon.

I will pay a little extra to get stuff locally or thru TFS and RD.....And generally only go outside my or Fiero community if the parts are unavailable thru them.

Shipping...Geez....Of course you have to pay for shipping; AMAZON!!!! and RockAuto can go "Free shipping on $25 or more" because they are A) Giant conglomerates, and B) They are attempting to ELIMINATE the competition.......So unless you only want one source for everything you buy (Meaning no competition(Spelled >>>M*O*N*O*P*O*L*Y<<< ) then support smaller vendors.......

It seems obvious........

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 02-08-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The super large retailers negotiate very good shipping rates, so they can often ship at 50% to 70% less than the smaller businesses. Beyond the money paid to actually ship the package, the box, packaging material, and labor to package everything up all a legitimate costs as well.

I ship everything USPS Priority flat rate what will fit, then standard priority. This gets my products to anywhere in the US in 1-3 days, which I like (as I hate it when I buy something from CA on a Tuesday and it takes till Monday the following week to get it if they ship UPS). I also think that USPS does a better job with Priority Mail Packages, as I have never had one lost... Can't say the same for my experience with UPS and FedEx. Doing it this way I can process the order and accept payment w/o needing to pay for (or charge my customers for) shipping software or take the time to calculate the shipping based on package size and weight for every single order. I also don't need to pay for shipping boxes or take the time to come up with a box to ship the items (except the Level 4 coilovers).

I don't charge for shipping (except on ebay to help offset the fees), but it definitely is included in the price of the parts, because it a very large expense. Shipping one of my level 4 coilovers to CA is over $85. So I average out the shipping to various locations of the US, build it into the price of the part, and in the end it all averages out. Doing it this way avoids giving my customers sticker shock or being accused of overcharging for shipping.

I think everyone should cut Rodney & Fiero Store some slack... there is a lot more cost to shipping packages than just the shipping charge. When you don't specifically pay for shipping, you are still paying for shipping as it is built into the price 90% of the time.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't mind paying actual cost of shipping but you know what I don't like? ; vendors that add extra to the actual cost of shipping. Its like they are not making enough money on the product. They also have to be greedy and make a profit on the shipping. That is dishonest and we know who these businesses are.
I just sold some parts to a guy in Florida. I overestimated the shipping and the buyer paid for it. . As soon as the package was mailed I found out the actual shipping cost and the buyer got a $6 refund to his paypal account. To stay in business you need to operate with honesty and integrity The cheats eventually go by the wayside as a product of their own greed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FieroStore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to montegut for starting this thread so even-handedly. Hopefully we can help clear up some common misunderstandings. First, we can all agree that nobody likes to pay for shipping. Those of us who work here are consumers too and we know how it feels to pay for shipping. We’ve also seen firsthand how “Free Shipping” promotions work. Until the USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc… work for free, you can rest assured that there is no such thing as “free shipping”. The term was invented by marketing execs to make you believe that you’re getting something for nothing. “Free shipping” simply means that the cost of shipping has been built into the retail price of the product being shipped. The problem with this model is that if you order multiple products that ship in the same box, you effectively pay for shipping multiple times because each part has the shipping charge included in its retail price. We choose to treat shipping separately in order to give our customers a better deal. Contrary to popular belief, we do this not to make shipping a profit center, but to make shipping more transparent. Our customers know the specs of the package they receive, and they can easily investigate what it would cost to ship that package.

We use the USPS and UPS for a vast majority of our shipping. Each carrier offers a number of different service levels to a variety of different zones in and out of the U.S. As a result, the database that generates our shipping rates literally has thousands of different rate options. You can safely assume that we don’t manually check each and every one. You can also assume that they are never exactly correct. They are normally very close to the actual cost of shipping, plus or minus a small percentage.

We routinely ship packages ranging from 1oz padded envelopes to large bumper covers, exhaust systems, and heavy brake packages. As a result, our shipping rates are all over the map. We spend considerable time helping our customers select the best shipping option for their needs. Here is an incomplete list of some reasons why shipping is so complicated:

1. Shipping charges are hugely situational. They may appear high or low based on several different factors:
    a. Weight
    b. Dimensions
    c. Destination
    d. Speed of service
    e. Handling (salaries, boxes, tape, bubble wrap, foam, etc…)
    f. A whole bunch of variable surcharges (fuel, residential, rural area, extended area, oversize, additional handling, etc...)

2. Customers needs are different. Some want their parts shipped fast and others want them shipped cheaply. Rarely can you have both.

3. Service quality varies greatly throughout the world. In some areas, USPS is more reliable than UPS. In other areas, UPS is more reliable than USPS. UPS and USPS also don’t have the same shipping schedules.

4. For countries outside the U.S., the USPS and UPS treat import taxes differently (duty, brokerage, etc…).

5. Order timing varies. Depending on your needs, the best shipping method on Monday at 4pm might not be the same as the best method on Friday at 10am.

As you can see on our web site, we try to present some of these issues to our customers. Sadly, very few people read our shipping notes because it’s a lot to absorb. Here are some tips to help you get the best shipping rate:

1. If you’re ordering something really small (ie: single washers, a decal, etc…), send us an email or give us a call and we’ll be happy to shave a couple dollars off our 1st Class Mail rate. Sometimes we can mail flat parts inside of a catalog for just a couple of dollars.

2. Rate discrepancies are most impactful on large orders. If you see a rate on our web site that looks out of whack, send us an email or give us a call. We will be happy to audit the rate for you. You’ll either learn why the rate is what it is or you’ll be doing yourself and the next person a favor by alerting us to a problem that needs to be fixed.

3. As a general rule (there are exceptions), USPS is the best option for small, light parts. Priority Mail or 1st Class are usually a great value, especially west of the Mississippi River. Keep in mind that 1st Class is only available for shipments under 1lb in the U.S.

4. Canadians generally prefer the USPS because they are often more tax-friendly. The problem with the USPS is that their tracking system is not as good as UPS’s. Lost packages are rare, but UPS does a much better job with tracers and filing claims.

Originally posted by nosaint:

The problem with complaints like this is that they are incomplete. This complaint may or may not be valid, but without knowing who this is or what was shipped, we have no way of knowing. If the shipping rate was indeed too high, we will be happy to make it right. We have nothing to hide.

Please understand that all of us are on the same team. The Fiero market is slowly dying and we’re all in this together. What’s good for our customers is good for us and for the entire Fiero community. It is not in our best interest to push customers away (with unreasonable shipping rates) to big box stores that don’t invest one penny into developing new Fiero parts.

Just like everyone else, we’ve made plenty of mistakes over the past (nearly) 30 years. IMSA and Ogre can probably give you detailed descriptions and dates for every single one of them. What has allowed us to stay in business for this long is our transparency, continuous improvement, and staying true to our mission of keeping Fieros on the road.

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't a complaint, just saying paying shipping sucks. Happy to be a Fiero Store customer and a RD

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 02-08-2020).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never had a regret with TFS, service is top notch. I've purchased over 10,000$ from them since 2000.

Residing in Canada, I find their shipping is quite reasonable.
I think and assume fiero owners do no want to "invest" money in their cars because its not an investment.
So technically, because of that...shipping costs are more blamed for it because for them its a loss.
I don't, because I understand shipping isn't free.
Plus, I am so happy I am getting a correct part in new condition I can't get anywheres else. I am so grateful it is still available.
So I don't care about the price.

IMSA, its sad that every time TFS is mentioned you have to pound them to the ground. Why?
Any true fiero owner deals with TFS and will support.
You crap on them even with the new GT windows..."ohh, don't buy them, because of the corrected curve....I wouldn't pay for that, not worth it, green tint., nana, nana."
If you don't want to spend money into a fiero, get out of the hobby and produce your own parts, or buy used. Final.
And the day if you ever produce new fiero parts and sell them, please offer FREE shipping...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

IMSA, its sad that every time TFS is mentioned you have to pound them to the ground. Why?
Any true fiero owner deals with TFS and will support.
You crap on them even with the new GT windows..."ohh, don't buy them, because of the corrected curve....I wouldn't pay for that, not worth it, green tint., nana, nana."
If you don't want to spend money into a fiero, get out of the hobby and produce your own parts, or buy used. Final.
And the day if you ever produce new fiero parts and sell them, please offer FREE shipping...

I'll start with your last comment. I HAVE made Fiero parts before both stock and custom, sold them, and shipped for free in the U.S. As a matter of fact, if I need a plastic part that isn't available, I borrow one, make a mold, and make my own parts. If I need custom items, I work with carbon fiber, kevlar, and fiberglass so I simply make whatever I need.

I crap on the Fiero Store due to their lack of quality control on the reproduction or custom parts. People shouldn't have to rely on good customer service to rectify a part that doesn't fit correctly and they sure as hell shouldn't be inconvenienced by the wait. That part should NEVER be shipped out to begin with until it is test fitted in a vehicle then customer service doesn't even need to be involved. The buyer should not be the test guinea pig for any parts.

Now as for me not shopping with them. I simply take the time to research local options for stock mechanical parts and usually find everything I need at a parts store. After my experiences, I'm not ordering items online to find out they are opened, damaged, or missing pieces.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I don't mind paying actual cost of shipping but you know what I don't like? ; vendors that add extra to the actual cost of shipping. Its like they are not making enough money on the product. They also have to be greedy and make a profit on the shipping. That is dishonest and we know who these businesses are.
I just sold some parts to a guy in Florida. I overestimated the shipping and the buyer paid for it. . As soon as the package was mailed I found out the actual shipping cost and the buyer got a $6 refund to his paypal account. To stay in business you need to operate with honesty and integrity The cheats eventually go by the wayside as a product of their own greed.

When I sell things on eBay the postage estimator 99% of the time estimates too low and I end up losing money on the shipping charge. Some vendors just tack on a little extra to cover these discrepancies. Not everyone has the time and patience to go back and reconcile all the shipping charges.

At the end of the day the shipping cost could or should be baked into the price. If it's not then consider that it is, and the price is the price. Small businesses can't afford to take a small shipping loss on each sale.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will back up Tfs on shipping.

I have dealt with shipping on automotive parts for years and it just keeps getting more expensive as the market gets more competitive.

We ship from several sites to lower cost but that is not an option for many.

We also use a number of vendors to help lower cost too. But keep in mind fuel prices go up shipping cost go up.

As for Canada I have seen all of the of games played by customers. Some ship to the Rydens boarder store and have it held so they can come and pick it up. Many ship to postal boxes, relatives etc. One shipped to a Indian Nation in NY that could transfer goods to their Canadian reservation tax free.

In years past shipping was just a part of life but today Amazon has spoiled us.

In most cases nothing is made on shipping and if anything is made often it is lost in reshipments and denied claims on damaged and lost goods. These have to be written off as losses.

Then you have other issues like fraud etc. The bottom line is doing mail order is far from easy money like some think. Now competition will sell products below cost to try to run others out and then raise their prices. But that is another story.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I will back up Tfs on shipping.

I have dealt with shipping on automotive parts for years and it just keeps getting more expensive as the market gets more competitive.

We ship from several sites to lower cost but that is not an option for many.

We also use a number of vendors to help lower cost too. But keep in mind fuel prices go up shipping cost go up.

As for Canada I have seen all of the of games played by customers. Some ship to the Rydens boarder store and have it held so they can come and pick it up. Many ship to postal boxes, relatives etc. One shipped to a Indian Nation in NY that could transfer goods to their Canadian reservation tax free.

In years past shipping was just a part of life but today Amazon has spoiled us.

In most cases nothing is made on shipping and if anything is made often it is lost in reshipments and denied claims on damaged and lost goods. These have to be written off as losses.

Then you have other issues like fraud etc. The bottom line is doing mail order is far from easy money like some think. Now competition will sell products below cost to try to run others out and then raise their prices. But that is another story.

Where's the LIKE button
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is this in the chat. Should be in totally OT as it’s just a whining ***** fest. Just suck it up. Shipping is shipping. The sellers don’t control it. The larger the vendor you are the better rates you get.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give my gripe about shipping specifically from Rockauto. (I think both Rodney and TFS are fair in most cases)

Rockauto charges you additional shipping if they have to ship you stuff from multiple warehouses. Really, it shouldn't be my problem as to where they source the stuff from.
If I can't get everything I need from Rockauto to come out of a single warehouse, then I order it from somewhere else.
FieroStore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
I crap on the Fiero Store due to their lack of quality control on the reproduction or custom parts.

Since IMSA rarely likes to offer specific examples, and loves speaking in vague generalities, please allow us to guess what he might be talking about. This is only a guess, but since we've been criticized for this by others, it seems like a good example. Back in 2007, GM was discontinuing Fiero dew wipes and no aftermarket alternatives existed. We invested north of $20K to have the first reproductions made from scratch. We will be the first to admit that our first iteration was not the greatest quality, but they fit and were far better than broken originals. Since 2007, we have taken every opportunity to make improvements along the way. Today, our dew wipes are as good or better than GM quality. Would we prefer to always get it right on the first shot? Absolutely, but when the Fiero market won't tolerate higher prices, sacrifices have to be made. As the old saying goes, you can have it cheap, good, or fast.....pick two. For better and for worse, the Fiero market has spoken loud and clear. We simply respond accordingly.

The problem with trolls like IMSA and ogre is they don't understand that their rage could be channeled so much more productively. Instead of screaming from the rooftops about how horrible we are, they could open a dialogue and be part of the solution rather than the problem. Here's how that might look:

Originally posted by theogre:
Still selling....illegal lights hidden behind "Check your local ordinances for legality." and other crap items most can't detect

A better way to articulate ogre's concern might be to ask us directly, "Why don't you sell DOT approved lights?"

Originally posted by theogre:
TFS and Friends/Family at GM Dealer near them is why many GM parts only available thru them w/ very high makeup. A Current one is 87-88 Headlamp Module for $674.95. 87-88 belt tensioner pushed over $300-400 too a few years ago w/ most sold w/o gasket stuck in the back.

Here, rather than slinging around baseless accusations (we have no friends or family who work for GM), ogre could have simply asked, "Why is the price of 87-88 Headlamp Modules so high?" Or maybe, "Why did the belt tensioner stop coming with the gasket?"

With this approach, IMSA and ogre might learn that questions can be far more powerful than statements. Questions can provide them with information they didn't previously have. Questions can also bring to light issues that they could help resolve. Worst case, questions can reinforce their previously uneducated opinion.

IMSA and Ogre's combative venting does nothing but hurt the Fiero community. If they put half of their energy into constructive dialogue, they may find that they'll have less to be angry about over the long term.

[This message has been edited by FieroStore (edited 02-12-2020).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroStore:

Here, rather than slinging around baseless accusations (we have no friends or family who work for GM), IMSA could have simply asked, "Why is the price of 87-88 Headlamp Modules so high?" Or maybe, "Why did the belt tensioner stop coming with the gasket?"

With this approach, IMSA might learn that questions can be far more powerful than statements. Questions can provide him with information he didn't previously have and they can bring to light issues that he could help resolve. Worst case, they can reinforce his previously uneducated opinion.

IMSA and Ogre's combative venting does nothing but hurt the Fiero community. If they put half of their energy into constructive dialogue, they may find that they'll have less to be angry about over the long term.

First of all don't put false quotes in my name when I never said anything of the sort. That first item you quoted regarding quality control is mine, the last 2 are from Ogre with his legal concerns. Unlike Dave, I don't give a crap about legality. If I like something, I'll buy it and it's going on my vehicle.

My only gripe with your company has been quality control of reproduction or custom items. Your direct replacement parts for powertrain or exterior items seems to be of decent quality. However, when you start producing these custom items and people are busy trimming, cutting, and reshaping those parts because they don't fit the vehicle, that's a little problem. I joke about your shipping charges because they are a little high for some items. Other than that, when people make threads on here asking where they can find coolant tubes, exhaust items or any other stock part, I link them right to your page. I just wish on the reproduction or custom items that you would do more test-fitting before sending out the parts. Then let your manufacturer know what to issues are before the consumer has to complain about the item.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay... I'll jump into this, since lots of others are.
I've never had a problem with TFS shipping charges. They are what they are. The only bad part I've ever gotten was a coolant hose that was too short. (I'm sure that particular part is well known by now, so I'll spare everyone.)
To contrast, I've bought a bunch of really useful / cool stuff from TFS. Actually, I wish they still carried some stuff that was cancelled. (Like the glove box?)

Rodney? I will buy from him without question. Every time. He beats all comers, hands down. I hope whoever buys him out is as good.

Regarding US VS Canadian shipping... What nails you is the brokerage charges. I bought a set of wheels and tires from a Canadian entity. It was really because they had what I wanted, but the exchange rate seemed to make it advantageous to me. Right up until I received that bill from UPS for "brokerage". I started to tell them to go and pound sand, because it sounded like bullshit.
But I figured that I might want to receive something from UPS at some time in the future.
It seems that shipping through the Post Office (on either side of the border) will help to eliminate the brokerage fees. I can't say that with authority, however, since I don't do it frequently.

With all of that said, I hope that all of our vendors keep on keepin' on. We need you.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-18-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Regarding US VS Canadian shipping... the exchange rate seemed to make it advantageous to me.

Yeah, rub it in why don't you. Works out a whole lot better for you guys! lol

Originally posted by Raydar:

It seems that shipping through the Post Office (on either side of the border) will help to eliminate the brokerage fees.

Absolutely agreed. The private carriers charge outrageous "brokerage fees". I won't have anything shipped cross-border unless it's via USPS/Canada Post.

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shipping isnt cheap at all. Trying to send parts to people coast to coast is often far more expensive than the parts!

It is amazing how amazon gets away with free shipping, but that's because they use the good ol USPS who operates at a loss to move these packages for amazon.

[This message has been edited by Oregon88 (edited 02-12-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you deal with vendors that are experienced at selling to Canada (i.e. Fiero Store and Rodney Dickman) there are no brokerage surprises.

The massive brokerage fees arise from vendors who aren't used to selling to Canadians. Where possible, I avoid buying from these folks.
PFF
System Bot
FieroStore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First of all don't put false quotes in my name when I never said anything of the sort. That first item you quoted regarding quality control is mine, the last 2 are from Ogre with his legal concerns. Unlike Dave, I don't give a crap about legality. If I like something, I'll buy it and it's going on my vehicle.

While the irony of you being upset about us spreading misleading information about you is priceless, we sincerely apologize for the typo. It has been corrected.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:My only gripe with your company has been quality control of reproduction or custom items. Your direct replacement parts for powertrain or exterior items seems to be of decent quality. However, when you start producing these custom items and people are busy trimming, cutting, and reshaping those parts because they don't fit the vehicle, that's a little problem.

Again, we're left to guess which part(s) you're referring to. Dash caps, speaker wall panels, door panels? Please start a new thread and let us know specifically what is wrong so we can stop hijacking this thread.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:I joke about your shipping charges because they are a little high for some items. Other than that, when people make threads on here asking where they can find coolant tubes, exhaust items or any other stock part, I link them right to your page. I just wish on the reproduction or custom items that you would do more test-fitting before sending out the parts. Then let your manufacturer know what to issues are before the consumer has to complain about the item.

Feels like we're making progress here. Hopefully you can see the glaring difference between this statement and the following statement you made about the prospect of us acquiring Rodney's inventory:

Hence my statement of "parts that actually fit the car and work". That's the LAST company I'm hoping would make an offer. Hopefully it sells to someone who actually cares about the quality and fitment of the products.

The problem with internet posts is that you can't hear tone of voice. You might view this misleading statement as a joke, but people who don't know you or may be new to the forum don't understand that. It would be very easy for some to seriously think that we might not care about the quality and fitment of the parts we sell, which couldn't be further from the truth. There are countless reasons why any given part might not fit exactly the way you want it to fit. Some of those reasons are avoidable and others aren't. Instead of putting blanket labels on our entire catalog, it would be much more constructive to give specific examples. This way, we can explore and/or explain for your benefit and the benefit of everyone who might read our conversation.
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never had a problem with TFS or RD's shipping cost, yes it's higher than most people are used to nowadays, but they've always arrived timely and in perfect condition. We must support vendors for our extremely niche hobby.

And I'm not just saying that because I recently ordered Engraved Center Caps, no-no!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to say; Everyone needs to back down the rhetoric.....Have I had issues with a couple of parts from TFS and RD? Yes, but I contacted them and they took care of it immediately. But if you start throwing rocks, then you will be more likely to have rocks thrown back at you.

If you want to have a car with NO suppliers of any sort, then go get an old bugatti or such....and hand make all of your parts! ($$$$$$$$$$$$)

Sometimes, people can be difficult......and sometimes a little respect can go a long way....I had a situation where a friend was porting the heads for my boat engine.....1) He found one of the heads was cracked, so I had to get a replacement, then B) He took a long time (4 months- into Ski season)....and then C) When I finally got them, he charged me much more than I thought he should have- Haven't been back even to talk to him since...But I never got into a big confrontation with him, and I don't talk bad about him.....But I also have never recommended him to anyone since.

Nobody is perfect, and to expect a custom part to be absolutely perfect right-out-of-the-box is wrong.....Send it back and they will work to make it right. As far as shipping costs- Remember that Amazon is trying to eliminate competition- once they have a lock on the market you can expect MUCH higher prices!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never had an issue with TFS or Rodney's shipping costs, and Ive ordered brake lines and trans cooler lines from TFS before. Rock Auto, on the other hand, redefine ridiculous.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Backing up a bit, we can't take issue with shipping costs as they are part of online buying. We can take issue with greedy vendors that change in excess of the cost of actual shipping and its happened to me many times. Next time you buy online ( and I won't mention names) estimate the weight ,the package size , the destination and go to USPS.com . Then you can see when you are getting ripped off.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to add that i got my package from TFS. It came superfast, well packed and everything i ordered. Very please for the record
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those who can, use the USPS "flat rate" box's. Also, stay away from the local "box store" b/c they have to add in their cut after they charge you the standard rate. My local box store will up charge the USPS flat rate $14 box to $19, even more on the bigger box.

I've had folks back out of a sale after getting the shipping quote. I sold a set of exhaust mani's for $50 and had to add $30 for shipping. Buyer backed out. Nothing worse than getting a shipping quote that cost the same as the part being bought/sold. $15 dollar part w/ $15 dollar shipping fee. I hate winning a bid on a $1.50 Hot Wheels car and having them add $4.50 for shipping, not such a deal after all.

and yes, i'm very spoiled on "free shipping" from Amazon.

With The Fiero Store, RD and WCF, i'll pay the shipping b/c we need them to stay in business. Thanks to them for all they do, i'll live with the delay in shipping if in the end they continue to provide us with the much needed parts.

PS - I do wish my door panels w/ integrated speaker pods fit better out of the box.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 02-14-2020).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

PS - I do wish my door panels w/ integrated speaker pods fit better out of the box.

Rob

Are those the panels with the 1/2" gap at the rear of the door because the clip retainer is molded incorrectly?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-14-2020).]

FieroStore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are those the panels with the 1/2" gap at the rear of the door because the clip retainer is molded incorrectly?

IMSA, do you know from first hand experience that the panels are molded incorrectly? Or are you just spreading rumors without having all of the pertinent information again? Regardless, if anyone would like to start a new thread or contact us directly, we will be happy to answer questions or explain the design of the door panels (or any other part that we sell).

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock