Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Say hello to project Wallet Drainer. (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Say hello to project Wallet Drainer. by Chief08
Started on: 02-05-2020 10:16 PM
Replies: 131 (3334 views)
Last post by: Chief08 on 11-12-2020 06:18 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2020 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097738.html

Ebay UK, find the transmission, find a seller willing to ship oversees, arrange shipping, fill out customs paperwork, pay for the transmission via paypal, pay for the shipping and importing fees, and wait about 1-2 weeks. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/...kw=3.09+F40&_sacat=0

Once you have it, then you have to tear down both transmissions so you can swap the 2 main shafts and ring gear, then put it all back together.

It is a lot of work and not cheap, but the LS4/F40 with the 3.09 swap is awesome!
IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097738.html

Ebay UK, find the transmission, find a seller willing to ship oversees, arrange shipping, fill out customs paperwork, pay for the transmission via paypal, pay for the shipping and importing fees, and wait about 1-2 weeks. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/...kw=3.09+F40&_sacat=0

Once you have it, then you have to tear down both transmissions so you can swap the 2 main shafts and ring gear, then put it all back together.

It is a lot of work and not cheap, but the LS4/F40 with the 3.09 swap is awesome!

Cool, thanks
So my next question is a differential that is not open? What are our options?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quaife and wavetrac... plan to spend $1,500+.

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2020 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The two best ones for the LS4 are not available in the states. You have to import a transmission from the UK.

Sounds like the 3.09 is one of them? Which is the other?
Is there a method to change wheel size instead? Because The one car I mentioned to you once by PM wasn't good at all unless you wanted to do a Texas Mile run.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2020 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My biggest concern about the F40 is not so much the final ratio, though I understand it affects all gears, my concern is the first gear is ridiculously low. Is there a way to address this one gear? Is the a true close ratio gear set combo?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2020 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1st and 2nd gear are cut into the input shaft and no version of the F40 has a "better" 1st gear.

The 3.09 and 7K rpm (easy with LS4) you can reach 44 mph in 1st. 2nd is good to 81 mph, and 3rd is 126.
Compared to 38 mph, 71 mph and 102 mph with the 3.55 final drive. The final drive really changes the overall driving feel of the car.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-06-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1st and 2nd gear are cut into the input shaft and no version of the F40 has a "better" 1st gear.

The 3.09 and 7K rpm (easy with LS4) you can reach 44 mph in 1st. 2nd is good to 81 mph, and 3rd is 126.
Compared to 38 mph, 71 mph and 102 mph with the 3.55 final drive. The final drive really changes the overall driving feel of the car.

Ok, thanks for all the info. I looked through the thread and am willing to do a hybrid 6 speed but I don't remember if you mentioned how much each gear drops the RPM from a 6500 RPM shift? My LS4 has a stock cam so 7k isn't yet an option? Actually I don't remember what my red line is set at,...now that I think about it.
Anyways, my gut says the RPM should drop about the same in each gear to keep a powerband target. That drop should put the RPM directly at the best torque so as to pull the gear through. That would require some dyno runs to figure exactly when the shifts need to be made.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:
Sounds like the 3.09 is one of them? Which is the other?
Is there a method to change wheel size instead? Because The one car I mentioned to you once by PM wasn't good at all unless you wanted to do a Texas Mile run.

For a V8 car with 2-3X the torque of the stock 2.8, the 3.09 and 3.348 would be better than the 3.55 that comes with the G6 version of the F40.

Besides the change in the launch from a dead stop for normal driving, the other benefit of the 6 speed and final drive swap is to get your cruise RPM down for interstate driving. With the 3.09 and 24.8" tires I can cruise at 80mph at 2080 rpm. When you start comparing the overall ratios for stock V8 camaros and vettes, the 3.09 final drive gets you much, much closer to the feel of driving a late model V8 manual.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Ok, thanks for all the info. I looked through the thread and am willing to do a hybrid 6 speed but I don't remember if you mentioned how much each gear drops the RPM from a 6500 RPM shift? My LS4 has a stock cam so 7k isn't yet an option? Actually I don't remember what my red line is set at,...now that I think about it.
Anyways, my gut says the RPM should drop about the same in each gear to keep a powerband target. That drop should put the RPM directly at the best torque so as to pull the gear through. That would require some dyno runs to figure exactly when the shifts need to be made.

RPM drop is gear ratio based and will always be the same % from gear to gear. Swapping the final drive doesn't change this, neither does shift RPM (but shift RPM will let you know the starting RPM in the next gear).

The LS4 has such a wide flat torque curve, you don't have to worry about falling out of the power band during upshifts. The stock LS4 is over 300 lb-ft from 2000 to 5000 rpm and the peak is only 325, so torque never falls off a cliff like the smaller displacement engines. Note, this is an engine dyno chart.

Here is the post upshift RPM in each gear shifting at 6500. Even with the less than ideal gear spacing between the first several gears, the first 3 upshifts will keep you within 5-10 lb-ft of peak torque.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-07-2020).]

Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started modifying the gauge cluster for the new dash.

I also started wiring up the ambient lighting.

predmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where did you get the items for the ambient lighting in the door handle...great idea
PFF
System Bot
Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by predmeister:

where did you get the items for the ambient lighting in the door handle...great idea

Ozunum flush mount LED bolt 6mm. You can get them at ozunum.com or on Amazon. If you get them at ozunum, you can also order the corresponding rubber grommets and drill bit.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock