Carfax by mr-riff
Started on: 02-04-2020 06:36 PM
Replies: 6 (132 views)
Last post by: AsaBergman on 02-05-2020 03:25 PM
mr-riff

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2020 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr-riffSend a Private Message to mr-riffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone with a free carfax that can help me?

Thanks
Ron
IP: Logged
AsaBergman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2020 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanClick Here to Email AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the VIN?
mr-riff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2020 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr-riffSend a Private Message to mr-riffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1G2PG3796FP249245
AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2020 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanClick Here to Email AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the info I got from the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, not Carfax. It doesn't have accident history unless it results in a salvage title.
85 Fiero v6 auto

Most recent title was on May 18, 1994 in Illinois with 104,007 miles.
No salvage, junk, total loss, or other brands.

[This message has been edited by AsaBergman (edited 02-04-2020).]

mr-riff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2020 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr-riffSend a Private Message to mr-riffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank You
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 547
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't trust Carfax and others because many states will not sell/report any DMV data to them. Some I-co's don't sell/report data to them either.
DMV records are protected by laws in some states. I-co can have same laws applied or have own privacy policies.
Other times might sell/report data but only 1st a year or quarter.

Unless "National Motor Vehicle Title Information System" is fed run or otherwise require to have states reporting to them then might not have current/correct data.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanClick Here to Email AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

You can't trust Carfax and others because many states will not sell/report any DMV data to them. Some I-co's don't sell/report data to them either.
DMV records are protected by laws in some states. I-co can have same laws applied or have own privacy policies.
Other times might sell/report data but only 1st a year or quarter.

Unless "National Motor Vehicle Title Information System" is fed run or otherwise require to have states reporting to them then might not have current/correct data.

The NMVTIS is federal run and I've found to be helpful for vehicles in my region. However they only get title information from the states, it usually doesn't contain accident or registration history but some states do send it.

Things like Carfax also rely on an accident being properly reported. Friend of mine bought a used 2018 car with clean carfax and title from a dealer. Within two weeks realized it was in a good front end accident that required them to do major repairs(improperly I'll add). Cost him multiple thousand to fix a car that carfax said was clean.

I will point out the car was last titled in Illinois and that state does have strict rules on giving out extended vehicle history information. There was a form to get this info for under $15 but don't remember where I saw it. Likely not worth the effort unless the Fiero is up there in price.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock