Looking for opinions on potential trade by blazin'
Started on: 01-19-2020 01:00 PM
Replies: 18 (480 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 01-24-2020 06:26 PM
blazin'

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2020 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy strangers, been a long time since I've visited this place!

I'm looking for some opinions on a potential trade I may have in the works. So I have an 89 Fox convertible, LX trim, 5.0 auto, top is good, overall solid car, but it has some surface rust here and there. It was a Florida car originally, and spent 5-6 years in Minnesota before making its way to me in Saskatchewan. I estimate it's value at around 4k give/take. I like the car, but I just don't drive it enough,

Potential trade partner is an 88Gt, with a Series 1 3800SC. It has a newer 282 5spd and unknown clutch/flywheel setup. A previous owner pulled the body panels an sprayed it, yet didn't do a great job aligning everything on the body. Paint job doesn't look great by the way...

What I need is to be brought back down to earth here. I've had an obsession with these cars (I've only had 5 Fieros) and I'm afraid said obsession may be clouding my judgement here, if you catch my drift lol.

I know the Series 1 is not the most desirable swap, and I'm nervous about inheriting the growing pains of a swapped car. Whereas the Mustang I know a little too well.

Thanks for reading, and glad to see this place still chugging along!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2020 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep the Mustang....
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Keep the Mustang....

That's what I'm thinking.

With that said, I have a friend who might be interested in buying it outright. Message me if you want me to pass your info to him.
He's in northwest GA.
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm quite centered on the fence right now. I did run a car-fax on the Fiero, and it does have a rebuilt title as it was declared a total loss back in '88.

[img]http://i mages.fieroforum.com/userimages/blazin'/ad_7_1579661246365.jpg[/img]
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the mustang is the better car. With a rebuilt title, poor paint job and misaligned body panels I think I’d stay away from the Fiero.

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: 3800 Swap in progress

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one nasty looking swap....
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2020 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What he said. ^^^

I had that same Mustang so many years ago! Same color and everything. Mine was a 5 speed though. Paid nothing for it, installed one J-Hook for the top, and drove it for a summer like a pimp!

I miss Mustangs. Love the Fiero, but Fox bodies are my soul. I get giddy when I see a nice one that has not been molested.
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

That's one nasty looking swap....

Agree'd.
I'll come from the same boat as you at one point. Found a 87 with a 3.8 swap halfway done. I scooped it very excited and just got flooded with disappointment as i went through the car to finish it. Mostly things needing improvement or not done to a good standard I had expected or desired. Looking at that photo of the swap it looks like someones home brew that is going to be a nightmare to fix, repair, maintain.
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Appreciate the input every one. I love the fox Mustang's, and if mine was a hard top there's no way I would be parting with it.

My place of work has a large refinery and the airborne particles wreak havoc on the top, so that alone limits how much I drive the car. Regardless, I figure it's worth having a look at the Fiero since he's willing to do the travel to me. The misalignment of the body isn't of the largest concern as long as the frame is good.

Now, could anyone chime in on any specific things to look for with the Series 1 swap? The custom dog bone looks like I would toss in the trash and make my own, and the mess of wiring and hoses leave lots to be desired. None of the swap related stuff scares me, but I am concerned about the clutch/flywheel setup. Realistically, if the deal goes through I would be happy with a summer or two of this setup before tossing the Series 1 and doing a real swap. LS4? 🙃.
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blazin':

Appreciate the input every one. I love the fox Mustang's, and if mine was a hard top there's no way I would be parting with it.

My place of work has a large refinery and the airborne particles wreak havoc on the top, so that alone limits how much I drive the car. Regardless, I figure it's worth having a look at the Fiero since he's willing to do the travel to me. The misalignment of the body isn't of the largest concern as long as the frame is good.

Now, could anyone chime in on any specific things to look for with the Series 1 swap? The custom dog bone looks like I would toss in the trash and make my own, and the mess of wiring and hoses leave lots to be desired. None of the swap related stuff scares me, but I am concerned about the clutch/flywheel setup. Realistically, if the deal goes through I would be happy with a summer or two of this setup before tossing the Series 1 and doing a real swap. LS4? 🙃.

Ask yourself why is he offering it?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Fiero is a pile of junk, we can see that from low-res internet photos.

Obviously that's why the seller wants to unload this disaster... I wonder why he's selling this one rather than the cleaner-looking Fiero parked next to it in the garage...
PFF
System Bot
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

That Fiero is a pile of junk, we can see that from low-res internet photos.

Obviously that's why the seller wants to unload this disaster... I wonder why he's selling this one rather than the cleaner-looking Fiero parked next to it in the garage...

Lol... Will post update after viewing
Horse

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HorseSend a Private Message to HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Mustang is worth More and is easier to sell as they have a huge following. Sell the Mustang buy whatever car you want with the money. That is one rough Fiero with a terrible history. PASS.
AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep Mustang. While the stang is an auto convertible (not too high in demand) it could easily be swapped with a wide assortment of transmission and engine combos down the road. Tend to that surface rust you mentioned and it's by a million miles the nicer car.

The Fiero was declared a total loss in 88 back when they were still new so question is what happened to it and more so how did they 'fix' it. I'd suspect either hackish repair work under those body panels or it was VIN swapped. Those misaligned body panels could be because the body was crumbled and then beaten back into shape and different panels slapped onto the car.

Stay away from it.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body panel alignment on a Fiero is dictated by the spaceframe.
If its tweaked, the panels will be misaligned.

Series 1? No, just no!

The car is junk - keep the Fox body!
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oof, you guys aren't going to like my update 😬.

All in all, the Fiero wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. As it sits, it is a drivable fairly decent car. Being honest, to me it's equal with the Mustang as far as condition and the things it needed. All things considered, I am 100% more excited about getting back into Fieros than having the convertible live in my garage 11 months of the year.

Onto the Fiero. I looked, and then looked harder to find some significant rust on this thing and aside from surface scaling on suspension components and peeling paint here and there I found nothing. Being from Nova Scotia, every Fiero I had come across there always had an issue with rust in some shape or form. (RIP my old '87 GT).

Underneath the hood is a mess, the swap was not done with appearance in mind. That being said, everything is functional and works. Getting in there and re-routing and cleaning up the general layout of everything will be a priority once the weather warms up. The exhaust is a joke, excessively loud and ugly as sin. Straight off the rear manifold into a tiny cherry bomb and then into another cherry bomb before exiting out the passenger side bumper cutout. I'll be shopping for a muffler soon and fab up a proper exhaust system myself.

In the driving test, it turns, goes straight and stops. No complaints. Unfortunately, on the test drive shifting through the gears was no problem. Went park the car in the spot vacated by the Mustang and the shifter just won't go to 1st, 2nd or reverse. I'm suspecting the select cable is trash and it froze after sitting for a few hours. I'll dive into that in the next few days. I also wouldn't consider it to be a fast car. Definitely more lively than the 2.8. Felt faster than the 5.0 tjough. I've been spoiled by my daily driver, so until I get back to that 275ish HP neighborhood everything will feel underwhelming.

In regards to the body panels not lining up, the fastback clip and decklid need adjusting, the door pins are worn out and the hood wasn't aligned. Whether this was laziness from the last owner or there's an underlying issue I don't know. But I know who will find out eventually 😉.

Never one to shy away from a challenge, I decided I would take this on. Where I live now, (East Central Saskatchewan) I have not seen a Fiero aside from an old coupe in the 10 years I've lived here.

Although I ultimately didn't side with, it is certainly appreciated that you guys took the time to offer your opinions. Cheers gents!
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I loved the Series 1 in my 94 Buick, that was the 225HP version, earlier was 205HP I believe. If the engine is the later version, it could be pretty quick. Not a lot of aftermarket support though. Good luck with it.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your new project!
👍🏼👍🏼
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a lucky Fiero, saved from its demise from one very patient adoptive parent.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock