Replies: 8 (367 views)
Last post by: Steel on 01-19-2020 04:49 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently, the PFF server is under DDos attack causing it to be incredibly slow. I haven't been able to stop the attack yet but I'm working on it. My apologies for the inconvenience.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oregon88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang.

Good luck, thanks for all the hard work you do!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be solved now.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job Cliff! Thanks for all you do!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its working great now. Thanks for your hard work Cliff!

By the way what is a DDos attack ? Hackers?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Distributed Denial of Service attack.

A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack is a malicious attempt to disrupt normal traffic of a targeted server, service or network by overwhelming the target or its surrounding infrastructure with a flood of Internet traffic.

So what I see happening is that all of a sudden, hundreds and hundreds of machines are simultaneously retrieving pages from PFF. Now PFF isn't hosted on some huge network of servers, but on a single server. It should be able to handle normal traffic just fine, but hundreds of requests simultaneously is a bit much for it. It will slow down to a halt and eventually crash. Fortunately I am able to restart the server remotely, even power cycle it remotely if needed. In the past I needed to make a 1.5 hour trip just to reset the server...
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does power cycling your server help things?

Aren't the requests coming from outside? If you reset your machine, how does that stop the excessive requests from coming in?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

How does power cycling your server help things?

Aren't the requests coming from outside? If you reset your machine, how does that stop the excessive requests from coming in?

It doesn't (well, obviously if the server has crashed, power cycling makes it at least responsive again). But power resetting the server gives me about a minute to close all ports the requests are coming in to, giving the server some breathing air. I can then add some firewall rules that block most malicious access.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2020 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cloudflare

It was 20 a month last I checked. Not sure if the free version would work for the forum. I have the business package for my store(s) works very well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock