Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Will a Fiero with a V8 outrun a BMW 6 series?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Will a Fiero with a V8 outrun a BMW 6 series? by Skatulaki
Started on: 01-04-2020 10:37 PM
Replies: 23 (666 views)
Last post by: Awalker W02 on 01-14-2020 10:25 PM
Skatulaki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering how it would stack up? and will it handle well enough?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are so many variations and flavors of V8 swap, that it's impossible to answer.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And is the 6 series a hot BMW? M5 would be tough to beat but I always thought a 6 is just bigger but no faster.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

There are so many variations and flavors of V8 swap

...as there are many variants of BMW 6-series, spanning multiple generations.

"outrunning" also depends on the metric chosen. Is it:
0-60 MPH
1/4 mile elapsed time
1/4 mile trap speed
something else?

You can see here the quarter mile times of Fieros, stock and modified with different engines:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098801.html
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will a Fiero with a V8 outrun a BMW 6 series?

Yes, in at least two categories, irrespective of year & performance enhancing attributes:
Your fun will last longer.
Your funds will last longer.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2020 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rceda my firoe against anythng that is next to me! Nothing wins. Bwahahahah! Nthngh

No. A V8 in a mid 80's GM vehicle will not out run any 6 Series. Engineering alone trumps GM. There are probably a handful of Fieros that can even sit next to a 6 of any era. Home built bad azzed Fieros.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like others have stated- a lot of variables; Which version of 6 series...and which V8?

You could put an old cast-iron SB in a Fiero, adding 200 lbs to the rear and only getting 200 HP, total.......That would not perform much better than a stock V6.

You can install an LS7 which only weighs 20-30 lbs more than the 2.8 V6.....2800 lbs X 500 hp...Properly set up and driven, that will beat the crap out of many supercars....

The best V8 conversion is probably the LS4, which is the transverse LS V8...Bolts right to a Fiero trany, weighs approx' 20 lbs more than the V6, and has (Stock) 305 hp

The C7 Vette weighs 3700 lbs (Idiotic) and has 455 hp for 8.1 lb/Hp.....a 2700 lb Fiero would equal that at 330 hp....

Critical to this situation; How is the engine/tans/Suspension set up? Do it right and you have an amazing and fun car- do it wrong and you have a dangerous......pile.....
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple question... the simple answer is: Yes... with enough time, money, and determination just about anything is possible. It is fairly simple to build a fiero to perform well on any specific metric...

The super hard part is having a Fiero outperform any late model performance car on multiple metrics with the same level of refinement, balance, and driver ease. You will have to go through every single system (engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, wheels/tires) and focus on NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness) as much as you focus on performance. To do this, you will likely spend 2-3X more than you can buy whatever car you are benchmarking against.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Guru- well said....But, I have to say that new cars are becoming too refined; They are getting to a point where you might as well be driving a video game- Not much skill is involved when you have a swarm of computers controlling everything...Heck, the new Vette doesn't even have a manual trans available!

A couple of young kids have asked me about my car recently- they see multiple Mustangs/Camaros/Chargers w/400HP+ and ask about my performance...with only 160 hp and skinny tires (205/225) my Fiero's performance is not up there, numbers wise...and there is very little refinement.

But I can dice on a windy back road and have a lot of fun at 30-50 mph....I tell these kids about that....don't know if I am getting thru to them tho.....
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see the point in modifying for NVH and refinement in addition to power and grip.

For me, the attraction of the Fiero is that it's a simple, raw, loud, and unrefined car, without power steering or driving aids (other than power brakes). Modifying for power and grip only gives a combination that cannot be purchased in the showroom.

If you want the full array of modern-car characteristics, just buy a modern car.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem. I have one with a big block Chevy in it.

Bring it and cash!
PFF
System Bot
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well published times for the M-6 is around 11 to 12 seconds for the quater...(stock M6 is right at 12 seconds)

This is a list of fieros (none stock) that are faster than that

Quater mile times

There are some V-8s in there so yes a fiero can, but again that depends on the cars.

[This message has been edited by Easy8 (edited 01-05-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And the big kahuna M6 does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds....
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

And the big kahuna M6 does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds....

Best 0-60 I can find for the M6 is 3.8 with 12 sec quater.. so 3.6 is in the ball park. Just keep in mind when you look at a 10 -11 second Fiero they are doing the same or better in the 0-60 times. I do not even want to talk about the 9 second fieros 0-60 times.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any car can be made to go fast. Nothing unique or special about the Fiero in this regard... You can take a Honda Civic or Ford Pinto and stuff a big engine in it and make it fly

The comparison is apples to oranges. Probably not worth much of a discussion. Plus the BMW can also be further modified than factory stock....
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2020 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like this thread.

I worked NVH for Ford on several Job1 builds back in the late 1990's. Everyone that has been in my 1987 GT will tell you she is squeak and rattle free. And no, she will not out run a M6.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fiero is 3000 pounds. Built sbc. 2800 stall, 3,42 gears, vet brakes ( so I can stall it and stop) It should be 400 hp. I can take off in any gear with the paddle shifter. I would not want to go that fast on the top end. But it realy gets out of the hole good. The time for my fiero in the drag times is a old time, years ago. The set up it has now is much better then that.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outrun?

On the Nürenburg Ring?
Drag strip?
Tail of the Dragon?
Outrunning the cops in town?
Bonneville?
Banked test track?

I think I will go, overall, with the Beemer.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My buddy got a "Great deal" on a 2011 328....The battery died so he replaced it........Then he started getting all kinds of trouble codes and problems......Turns out, if you change the battery on newer Bummers, you have to go to the dealer and have them use a special module to tell the computer which battery you installed......The battery only cost $120....The visit to the dealer cost $350........ID-E-OT- ICK!

The germans love complication- it makes them look......So....Fist....EE......Kate.....Ted.........(I don't think the germans can SPELL the acronym K.I.S.S.)
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or he could have got the BMW equivalent of HP tuners and reset the codes himself. Or maybe the 15$ bluetooth OBD2 interface and an android tablet will work, I have never tried mine on anything other than my Fiero. There is a reason that old German cars are really cheap: most people end up paying a fortune for dealer service.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had another friend who was constantly buying cars at auctions and fixing them then selling them- I told him- Number one thing; "Do not buy any luxury cars that are older than 10 years old- Maintenance/parts cost will KILL you"......a few years later we were talking and he stated- "You were right- NEVER buy 10 year old luxury cars!"
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've owned plenty of "10 year old luxury cars" with little to no problems. The best were Lincoln, Chrysler and Lexus. The worst were Northstar powered Cadillac and anything European.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
….and... who is driving?
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*I can for sure tell you that a Fiero Traveling flat out at 71.5 MPH can easily over take the BMW 6 series traveling at 65 MPH

Credit to Citroen for that one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock