Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A Ton of questions about restoration, techniques, repairs, McGyvers, Plastic Welding

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Ton of questions about restoration, techniques, repairs, McGyvers, Plastic Welding by Skatulaki
Started on: 01-04-2020 10:26 PM
Replies: 6 (363 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 01-07-2020 01:19 AM
Skatulaki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always done my own maintainance on vehicles, but this is my first DIY Restoration !

I have learned in life that if you do not know something, ask those who do!

I am asking these questions in a side post from my other post so that I may cut down on superfluous postings and not drag out my other post.

Question 1: Are there any Pre made Fastener kits for reassembling a Fiero ? Are any available in Stainless Steel?

Question 2: Part of my Front and Rear Facia's have breaks, and my front fenders have the Bolt piece of the front of the fender still attached the metal piece.
has anyone ever used a "plastic welder" to repair any of these pieces?

Question 3: Removing rust: A wire wheel works pretty good. However I do not believe in the long run it will be good enough. SO which is better? Sand blasting
or Acid bath? Has anyone made either for home shop use? I was thinking of CLR and about a really big stainless sink.

Question 4: Rustoleum is a non-starter, Does anyone have a paint code for the space frame?

Question 5: Removing Door panels, Running boards, etc, seem to have Rivets of some type, I cannot tell on many if they are intended to be removable
Some appear Plastic, some metal. Looks like I need do some drilling!

Question 6: Replacement Rivets and tools, are these available?

All I can think of for now, Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the moment, I only have the knowledge to correctly answer question 3.

Wire wheels smooth out the metal surface, leaving the rust in the pits (not good). The smoothness is not good for paint adhesion either; the lack of tooth allows paint to flake off in sheets.
I like wire wheeling for deburring parts, and for bolts and things that will be left as bare steel. These bare steel items have to be oiled regularly to keep rust at bay.

Wire wheels seem to eject wires in use, so you have to watch for that. Some get stuck in my clothes, so I have to pick them out... Obviously, you don't want to get a wire in your eye.

********************************************************************************

I have tried dipping steel parts in a giant tupperware full of hydrochloric acid, and it works for removing rust. It can take between minutes to hours depending on the amount of rust. You have to watch your parts carefully, as it will eat away at good metal too if you leave it in too long. Once you remove the part from the acid bath, it will rust in less than a minute, so I dipped it immediately in a sodium bicarbonate bath immediately to neutralise the acid. With the acid neutralised, you can then take your time to dry the parts.

The acid didn't change the surface finish much IIRC.

Strong steels such as 10.9 bolts are at risk of hydrogen embrittlement, so don't dip these.

The acid fumes are very strong... I remember coughing and crying because of it. I seem to remember that a full-face military gas mask with an activated carbon cartridge worked, but you still have the rest of your body that's at risk.

I stopped using hydrochloric acid for de-rusting over a decade ago; I just found it too dangerous for what it does.

********************************************************************************

Sand blasting so far is my favorite. It's relatively easy to remove any traces of rust, and it leaves a rough surface finish that gives paint a tooth to bite into for good adhesion. No consumables; I recycle the sand (crushed glass actually), and I just buy as needed to compensate for the losses.

The rough finish is good for paint, but not good for bare steel. You should probably go over the surface with a wirewheel if you want to leave the steel bare.

This one carries the risk of silicosis if you breathe the fine sandblasting dust. I do it in a closed cabinet with a fan keeping it under negative pressure, so I don't think I breathe too much of the dust.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 01-05-2020).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#6 The Fiero Store has some of the rivets etc. Look under exteriour parts. Also PM Sage here on the forum as he might have the Fiero Warehouse stock I think I got some from them at the 30th show.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 01-05-2020).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store has most if not all of the fittings you'll need (plastic & aluminum rivets, molding clips, etc.). You will have to sort through the restoration section of their website for the parts you may need. I suggested to them some time ago that they put together a kit with all the parts for the notchies and GT's. They said they would consider the suggestion but I've not seen the kit's in their catalog. They do have the rivet tools but you may be ale to find them at Harbor Freight.

I've had good luck using POR-15 rust remover for small parts and removing rust in fuel tanks on motorcycles and cars. You can also remove rust by electrolysis (https://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/). This works as well as chemical strippers and it's cheap. Rust converters does not remove rust. They convert it from iron oxide to iron tannate which is non porous and can be painted. Converters do not restore strength to the metal. One thing to be aware of is that after you remove the rust you should examine the part or frame carefully for structural damage. Minor surface rust usually isn't as problem but severe rusting on a chassis can compromise the integrity even if the part is not rusted through

------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 01-06-2020).]

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the rivets for front and rear fascias (very reasonable): https://www.ebay.com/itm/10...2057872.m2749.l2649. These are push type, no special tool needed.

For the rocker panels, I got a 25 pack at Grainger # on package is either (1) 40k803 or 5775PK. 17/64" diameter, 23/32" Flange Size, 3/32"-3/16" Grip Range. You will need a rivet tool for these.

While I haven't used it, for small repairs on torn bumper covers, you might try this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/...43001210080301008005

[This message has been edited by Habanera Hal (edited 01-06-2020).]

Skatulaki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do I get these Door Panels, and running boards off? Do I drill out these rubber looking rivits? The bottom ones on the doors are all I know left holding door panels on
The bottom ones on the running boards are all gone and I can only find 2 on each side of top side.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use the search feature to search all topics and the archives. You will find details on how to remove inner and outer door panels as well as the aero moldings under the doors. (I'm guess this is what you mean by "running boards".)

------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 01-07-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock