A Pratically New Engine - 4.9 Deville 1995 Engine by Warlordsix
Started on: 01-04-2020 09:19 PM
Replies: 24 (683 views)
Last post by: fierobear on 01-14-2020 12:50 PM
Warlordsix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes you get lucky. I stumbled on this 4.9 ('95 DeVille) with 24K miles on it. Practically new, so I took it home to replace the high-mile, 4.9 ('92 DeVille) in my '87 5-speed. Even was able to watch a video of it still installed and running great. Couldn't pass it up.

[ img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/Warlordsix/IMG_4232%5B21207%5D.JPG[/img][img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/Warlord six/12970902_10208151564843584_5689394557245061561_o%20(1).jpg[/img]

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Skatulaki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do these V8's Fit and work well in a Fiero Engine cavity? or is there a lot of Modification that has to be done. Obviously it has been done, but just how much of a job is it?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No surgery needs to be performed to the engine compartment, other than (maybe) the removal of the dog bone bracket.
Depending upon which trans you use, you may have to only fabricate an engine mount bracket or two. (The Fiero manual trans can be used with the 4.9. So can the Fiero automatic, but there's not a lot of reasons to do that.)

There's tons of info on the forum. Poke around.

If you have any specific questions, ask.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Caddy 4.9 V8 is a relatively easy swap. Bolts directly to Fiero trans. Plenty of room in engine compartment. No major mods. Search the Forum for "4.9", and you will find numerous 4.9 swap threads.Neills88 has a particularly good one.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That engine looks super clean. 👍

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: 3800 Swap in progress

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m planning a 4.9 swap soon. These pictures will be very helpful in cleaning and restoring the engine to factory look. Thanks, great post.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Warlordsix:

The Caddy 4.9 V8 is a relatively easy swap. Bolts directly to Fiero trans. Plenty of room in engine compartment. No major mods. Search the Forum for "4.9", and you will find numerous 4.9 swap threads.Neills88 has a particularly good one.

The torque of the 4.9L is not a good match for the Fiero Getrag. With even a slightly heavy foot that box is not going to last. It's more prudent to go with the transmission that GM designed to work with that engine. IMO, the auto swap is easier than the stick swap, if it replaces an original auto setup.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getrag gearing does not match up well with the 4.9 torque.
The 85-86 four speed is a better choice, as is the Frankenstein four speed.
I would never bolt a 4.9 to a TH125C Fiero three speed auto.

I have a Seville (3.33 final) 4T60E in my 4.9 Formula.
Do not use the auto from a Deville, the gearing is terrible.

I miss having a manual trans, but the gearing is fantastic, and its always in the right gear.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Getrag gearing does not match up well with the 4.9 torque.
The 85-86 four speed is a better choice, as is the Frankenstein four speed.

I have a Seville (3.33 final) 4T60E in my 4.9 Formula.
Do not use the auto from a Deville, the gearing is terrible.

I have a NV T-550 (aka Beretta Getrag) bolted to my 4.9. It a complete blast to drive, even though the gearing is all wrong, as Joe mentioned.
It has held up quite well to the 4.9's torque, even after having broken both front side mounts. (Engine and trans.)
I don't side step the clutch, however. I try not to shock load it. That was all a result of matting the gas, with the clutch already engaged.

With all of that said, if mine had come with the 3.33 final, I may have not swapped to the manual. The Deville trans (2.97 FDR) didn't do anything quickly. I hated it.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-12-2020).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I have a NV T-550 (aka Beretta Getrag) bolted to my 4.9. It a complete blast to drive, even though the gearing is all wrong, as Joe mentioned.
It has held up quite well to the 4.9's torque, even after having broken both front side mounts. (Engine and trans.)
I don't side step the clutch, however. I try not to shock load it. That was all a result of matting the gas, with the clutch already engaged.

With all of that said, if mine had come with the 3.33 final, I may have not swapped to the manual. The Deville trans (2.97 FDR) didn't do anything quickly. I hated it.

Do these transmissions have identifying marks stamped on them to identify which one they are?
PFF
System Bot
Flying_Dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice score! Low mileage 4.9's are getting harder to come by.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are the markings on the transmission that came with my 4.9. Can you tell which transmission this is?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a stamped aluminum tag near the socket for the dipstick?
That tag has the trans ID code on it.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there a stamped aluminum tag near the socket for the dipstick?
That tag has the trans ID code on it.

The last pic above is the only stamped info. There is a flat area, similar size and shape to the above, nearer the bottom of the dipstick tube but there’s no sign that anything was ever stamped there.

There is a paper or plastic tag with some numbers on it...

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the trans ID tag.
You're lucky to have it, many are missing.

That tranny is a 92 Deville, 37/33 sprockets, 3.06 diff

Not the best choice....😟

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-13-2020).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is the trans ID tag.
You're lucky to have it, many are missing.

That tranny is a 92 Deville, 37/33 sprockets, 3.06 diff

Not the best choice....😟

That’s what I was concerned about, after reading up in the thread. Damn.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can be rebuilt with 35/35 sprockets and the 3.33 diff.

Well worth the money.
Why put an unknown transmission in a car. If it goes bad, its gonna cost a lot more to r move and repair it.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Do these transmissions have identifying marks stamped on them to identify which one they are?

Not really, but they can be identified by their physical characteristics.
The Fiero Getrag has the clutch arm on the outside of the clutch housing. The slave cylinder is mounted to the bracket that holds the cables.
The later (~90-91) Getrag has the clutch arm inside the clutch housing. The slave cylinder bolts directly to the case, and the pushrod goes through a hole, into the clutch housing, where it pushes against the arm. (Rodney's site has pictures of this trans, and pieces to adapt it to the Fiero.)
The T550 has a hydraulic release bearing, similar to the F23. Otherwise, it's quite similar to the Getrag that we all are familiar with. Rodney sells pieces to adapt that one, as well.
This is a link to the T550 that I installed in my car. Note... It does NOT use a Fiero clutch. The "stack" is too tall. You will need a 92-93(?) Cavalier clutch, to achieve the correct release bearing spacing.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098659.html
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Not really, but they can be identified by their physical characteristics.
The Fiero Getrag has the clutch arm on the outside of the clutch housing. The slave cylinder is mounted to the bracket that holds the cables.
The later (~90-91) Getrag has the clutch arm inside the clutch housing. The slave cylinder bolts directly to the case, and the pushrod goes through a hole, into the clutch housing, where it pushes against the arm. (Rodney's site has pictures of this trans, and pieces to adapt it to the Fiero.)
The T550 has a hydraulic release bearing, similar to the F23. Otherwise, it's quite similar to the Getrag that we all are familiar with. Rodney sells pieces to adapt that one, as well.
This is a link to the T550 that I installed in my car. Note... It does NOT use a Fiero clutch. The "stack" is too tall. You will need a 92-93(?) Cavalier clutch, to achieve the correct release bearing spacing.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098659.html

Sorry, raydar, I was only talking about the auto transaxles. California smog.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It can be rebuilt with 35/35 sprockets and the 3.33 diff.

Well worth the money.
Why put an unknown transmission in a car. If it goes bad, its gonna cost a lot more to r move and repair it.

Which years/models should I be looking for, automatic transmission wise, with the right gear ratio?

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darth has a lot of info on his website under tech

www.gmtuners.com
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth has a lot of info on his website under tech

www.gmtuners.com

Good info, thanks.

What would a 3.71 gearing do versus 3.11, what would the difference be in acceleration and performance?

Also, from car-part.com, the 1993 Cadillac transaxles (Seville, Eldorado and Allante) are listed at 4T80E, and above their saying they used 4T60E.

Reference:
https://tinyurl.com/r6n45dw

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 01-14-2020).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4.9 drivetrain (and other GM drivetrains of the era) used the 4T60E.

The 4T80 was used on the 4.6 Northstar.

3.71 might be too short on gearing for the 4.9.
My 35/35 - 3.33 4T60E feels absolutely perfect in my Formula.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rather than high jacking this thread, I’d like to continue the discussion of my swap in this new thread in the Tech section...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143354.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock