New Buyer Advice by Peter41
Started on: 12-26-2019 06:57 PM
Replies: 30 (714 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-13-2020 02:47 PM
Peter41

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Tomorrow afternoon I am going to go checkout an 86 v6. Looks to be in decent shape but is having problems starting. Started fine, then had to be jumped a few times. Apparently autozone said the battery is good, although I’m skeptical. Is it worth buying because it could be something g minor, or am I going to be chasing electrical ghosts. I can get it for $500.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it won't stay running, try talking them down, may be $400.00--. Could be low on gas? Hard to say by your post. In any case, save that Fiero Man. good luck.
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick Morehouse:

If it won't stay running, try talking them down, may be $400.00--. Could be low on gas? Hard to say by your post. In any case, save that Fiero Man. good luck.

Well the kid replaced the battery cable terminals connectors and that helped for a couple starts, then dies again and could only be started with a jump. I’m thinking maybe a bad battery, bad cables, or hopefully something as simple as a bad ground. He has it up for 1k and said I’m in the 400-500 range. Maybe I’ll offer 4 if I can get it started and drive it home. Worst case I can still manage the 500 to save it and have it to tinker with on the weekends!
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could it be a bad alternator? So instead of the alternator providing the current, your running off the battery. When the battery runs dry ( dies, that is) the engine quits. Could this be your problem ?
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

could it be a bad alternator? So instead of the alternator providing the current, your running off the battery. When the battery runs dry ( dies, that is) the engine quits. Could this be your problem ?

Possibly? The owner wasn’t much help, mostly a lack of knowledge, but a couple friends of mine are coming with me and we’re going to try and diagnose it before I actually buy it. I would rather not start throwing in money to see what fixes it.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2019 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a meter, get it started and see what the voltage is at the battery....If it's a good alt then you should see at least 13+.......If it's below 12.5 then it is probably your Alternator. Easy way to check...
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2019 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it starts then dies, I'd look more towards a fuel problem than electrical. Clogged filter maybe. The one that's on there is probably as old as the car, or dying pump.
There's a schrader valve on the fuel rail, if you press it after it dies, do you get fuel spurting out, if so then not fuel pump/filter. If not then probably one of them.
This vid shows wherethe valve is. Don't really need gauge to test but great if you have one, just press valve.

If fuel looks ok and baring it being a bad battery, I'd probably start looking at ignition components, in particular the ignition module which lives in the distributor and the coil which sits right above the exhaust. Both have a hard life and are also probably as old as the car.

Oh, check car for rust, particularly the trunk corners/wheel wells, pull trunk carpet in corners to see, and also upper frame rails which are very hard to see properly.
Body work on these cars is always pretty reasonable, even if paint is crap because they are plastic!. It's the underlying structure you need to be concerned with.

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 12-28-2019).]

88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe have a battery load test, starter and charging system check..if that doesn’t come up with anything, try fuel pressure check, or weak fuel pump, if nothing still try pickup coil inside distributor, and still if nothing check wiring.
Just my two cents.
Good luck to you!
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well guys,

Wasn’t able to go look at it. The seller had something come up so had to reschedule. Thank you for all of the replies! Still going to try and look at it, but in the mean time maybe a different one will pop up that will be less of a headache.
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aright guys (and gals)!

I never went and looked at the fiero I originally posted about. However, another one did pop up that I'm going to go look at today. It is an 85 SE, 2.5 L 5 speed. 146k miles and a clean title. The body looks like its in great shape, although the silver paint is looking pretty sad. New battery, alternator, AC Compressor, shift cable, and tires. The headlight motors work and it even has current emissions. Does this sound like something I should pull the trigger on? my current DD is an 05 Mustang GT, and I would be picking this up to keep miles off of that. I know the 4cyl is going to be very very disappointing compared to what I am driving right now, but I am not buying it to break speed records haha. He has it up for $1700, but is flexible. What would you guys be comfortable with to spend money wise on this? I know value is all subjective, but I have seen prices all over the map for these cars.

Thanks!
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first Fiero was that model, 4 cyl, 5 speed, It was a lot of fun and the overdrive of the 4 speed made freeway 'cruzing' pretty quiet although I had to down shift to go anywhere!
As for price, sounds reasonable to me but as always rust is the issue, what's the cradle,trunk corners/rockers (which you cannot see)/upper frame rails (ditto hard to really see) like? Assuming it's always been an west coast car, I would not expect much rust but you never know. Everything else is fixable/replacable.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

My first Fiero was that model, 4 cyl, 5 speed, It was a lot of fun and the overdrive of the 4 speed made freeway 'cruzing' pretty quiet although I had to down shift to go anywhere!
As for price, sounds reasonable to me but as always rust is the issue, what's the cradle,trunk corners/rockers (which you cannot see)/upper frame rails (ditto hard to really see) like? Assuming it's always been an west coast car, I would not expect much rust but you never know. Everything else is fixable/replacable.

haha ya I know I will be getting nowhere fast with the 4cyl, but I have liked these ever since I was little so thats not an issue for me. The good news is I am in AZ so as long as it wasn't a mid west/east coast car rust shouldn't be an issue. I guess the only other thing I might run into is if I will fit or not. 6'5 isn't exactly a small car friendly height but from what i've read width fore than height is the issue.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Peter41:

haha ya I know I will be getting nowhere fast with the 4cyl, but I have liked these ever since I was little so thats not an issue for me. The good news is I am in AZ so as long as it wasn't a mid west/east coast car rust shouldn't be an issue. I guess the only other thing I might run into is if I will fit or not. 6'5 isn't exactly a small car friendly height but from what i've read width fore than height is the issue.

It depends on the reason you want the car. What is the cars mission? What do want to do with it?

As for that GT, has it sat for a long time?

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 01-08-2020).]

Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

It depends on the reason you want the car. What is the cars mission? What do want to do with it?

As for that GT, has it sat for a long time?

I am getting it as something I can cruise around every day. I have about a 25 mile commute round trip, and would be fun to daily it! My thoughts are that it is something I can have as a driving project, even though it looks like its in pretty good shape. My step brother had an 84 when I was growing up and I loved it. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road here. As far as the other one I was originally looking at, I don't have a clear back story. A kid bought it, a few days later wouldn't start. Battery tested good apparently, and he replaced the battery connector terminals. That worked for a few starts then it was dead again. It would start with a jump but now that won't work either. It was in okay shape. Someone rattle can painted it, and spaced the tires in the rear. Looks pretty ugly to be completely honest.
87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Peter;
Welcome to the world of Fiero. If what you want is a reliable daily driver, a 4 cyl Fiero is not the best choice, but having said that I have used Fieros as my daily drivers for almost 30 years. I live in East Mesa and would be happy to talk to you or even help you inspect the car. I am 6'2" and fit easily in Fiero. My son is about your size and drove one for many years until his middle got too large.

There is also a loose club for Fiero enthusiasts in the Phoenix area and we would be glad to add you to our mailing list. You can call me at 480-807-9156 if you want to talk or have me come along to look at the car.

Rolland
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87convert:

Peter;
Welcome to the world of Fiero. If what you want is a reliable daily driver, a 4 cyl Fiero is not the best choice, but having said that I have used Fieros as my daily drivers for almost 30 years. I live in East Mesa and would be happy to talk to you or even help you inspect the car. I am 6'2" and fit easily in Fiero. My son is about your size and drove one for many years until his middle got too large.

There is also a loose club for Fiero enthusiasts in the Phoenix area and we would be glad to add you to our mailing list. You can call me at 480-807-9156 if you want to talk or have me come along to look at the car.

Rolland

Thank you for the advice. I guess I am being a little optimistic thinking a 30+ yr old car will be a "reliable daily", but I think it would be something I could tinker around on myself, barring anything big being wrong with it. I have done some maintenance on my older vehicle, but they were a 70 cougar and a 72 chevy truck. Couldn't be more opposite but I have to start somewhere! I would definitely not be opposed to an extra set of eyes, maybe could even assist in negotiating it down
87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2020 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know when you are going to look at the car. I have a pretty full schedule the next 3 days but can most likely fit in a trip to see a Fiero. I also had a 5spd 4cyl coupe as my first Fiero 30+ years ago. They are fun to drive even if slow by today's standards.

Rolland
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87convert:

Let me know when you are going to look at the car. I have a pretty full schedule the next 3 days but can most likely fit in a trip to see a Fiero. I also had a 5spd 4cyl coupe as my first Fiero 30+ years ago. They are fun to drive even if slow by today's standards.

Rolland

Hey Rolland,

I really appreciate all of the input you gave me on the phone last night. I am still waiting on a response about the working fluid for the a/c, if the radiator has been replaced, and if the brake light illuminates on the dash even though it isn't working properly. In the mean time, I'll be looking up the post you mentioned about the E-brake cable and what all would go into fixing it. Car still seems like a very good deal, I just want to make sure I don't get in over my head on these kinds of repairs with my limited knowledge of these beasts! Plus, my toolbox will only get me so far!
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6' 5". Seat is all the way back but I fit OK.
My head is close to the roof but not hitting it although I have a sunroof car. Never tried a non sunroof car.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I'm 6' 5". Seat is all the way back but I fit OK.
My head is close to the roof but not hitting it although I have a sunroof car. Never tried a non sunroof car.

Ya I was very very surprised as I fit fine. No problems shifting or anything like that. I drove a friends older boxster and it was almost impossible to shift because every time I released the clutch my knee would hit the back of the steering. Probably pretty dangerous now that I think about it.
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Peter41

15 posts
Member since Dec 2019
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Peter41 (edited 01-09-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just upload the photos!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-09-2020).]

Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just upload the photos!

Thats what I did!! And for some reason it got formatted that way
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats what I did!! And for some reason it got formatted that way

I don't use a smart phone (which is what I assume these were photos were shot with), so I can't advise you here... but obviously something was done incorrectly. Hopefully someone else who uses a smart phone can shed some light on this.

Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't use a smart phone (which is what I assume these were photos were shot with), so I can't advise you here... but obviously something was done incorrectly. Hopefully someone else who uses a smart phone can shed some light on this.

Ya I did take them with my smartphone, then emailed them to myself, and uploaded them. So i'm not sure where I went wrong. Apparently my phone is smarter than me. I don't know if it works on your end, but when I actually click what would be the picture on my post, it takes a second but they all show up and I can see them.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know if it works on your end, but when I actually click what would be the picture on my post, it takes a second but they all show up and I can see them.

Oh sure, but they look like This. We don't need to see your phone display.

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ya I was very very surprised as I fit fine. No problems shifting or anything like that. I drove a friends older boxster and it was almost impossible to shift because every time I released the clutch my knee would hit the back of the steering. Probably pretty dangerous now that I think about it.

I tried a boxter once, same problem. Caman is the same as well. Only two seat Porche I can get into is a 911 and afte reading about the IMS bearing issue, I decided I'd stick with my little Fiero!

------------------

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh sure, but they look like This. We don't need to see your phone display.

Dangit, rookie cropping mistake. My bad
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dangit, rookie cropping mistake. My bad.

Peter, I hope you're just kidding about the "cropping"... as the actual photos wouldn't require any!
Peter41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Peter41Send a Private Message to Peter41Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Peter, I hope you're just kidding about the "cropping"... as the actual photos wouldn't require any!

I didn't take the actual photos, just uploaded them from the OfferUp ad. I didn't end up getting it. I asked the owner a few questions after talking with Rolland on things to look for, and he has yet to get back to me. SO thats a small red flag there. Oh well, on to the nect!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't take the actual photos, just uploaded them from the OfferUp ad.

Ah, okay... that's a different situation then. The images were already screwed up before you got them. You're off the hook.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock