Started on: 11-28-2019 09:08 PM
Replies: 10 (421 views)
Last post by: Flying_Dan on 12-03-2019 05:27 PM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2019 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2019 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the black ice thing on I-85 in Atlanta doing about 70. I wasn't so lucky to end up headed in the right direction. I went 180 then back 90 and ended up broadside in the middle of 5 lanes. Stalled the car with a bunch coming down the hill toward the black ice. Managed to get it started quickly and I think I got to the shoulder faster than it started.

I was amazed at some of those people filming just drove on through without stopping to help.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2019 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Fiero spin was....exhilarating.........The guy that got hit on his bicycle- I NEVER assume that someone sees me unless they WAVE me across- especially from the non-traffic direction...("Waving me across".......Not going to go AT ALL if it's an ex-girlfriend!)
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2019 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Black ice is my trip to work every morning from now until March. Be careful folks. Take a little extra time to make it home.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2019 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

That Fiero spin was....exhilarating.........

Bridge Ice... the warm pavement saved him (her). It's common this time of year in the upper mid-west.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-29-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2019 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ice can happen on bridges and anywhere else.

Wind strength and direction can effect freezing on one and not another bridge even on same road.
Sun/shade on a road often matters too. Sun melts most areas then hit a shade stretch that's still frozen is a big problem w/ some roads. Thunk was I76 near Philly had a big wreck last year because of this.

Some areas may have plain salt but others areas use calcium chloride etc. that have different temps they work or not. So even walking in low temps can be "fun."
And just because they "salt" the roads and so on "today," overnight or next day can still freeze again on spots to whole road depending on temp and other things.

Worse if you "speed for conditions" or even turn a little at low speed can spin you out on ice. Real "snow tires," even w/ studded snows, may not help when you hit ice.

I don't drive in freezing weather as much as possible. Oh I can drive in most any type of crap like many people grew up in Northern States but not here because most others wreck just for rain because simply won't slow down and tailgate.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is my Fiero in the video. It’s an ‘87 GT. It really needed an alignment after doing the axles a few days prior which I believe is what caused it to spin so easy. After I took it to a shop who I’m not pleased with (they said “it’s a Fiero and they are so hard to align so we did the best we could, but it’s not perfect... also we will add an extra $100 to the price too for our time.” And $700 later... ).

Anyway, I put it away for the winter and I’ll daily it again next year.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

That is my Fiero in the video. It’s an ‘87 GT. It really needed an alignment after doing the axles a few days prior which I believe is what caused it to spin so easy. After I took it to a shop who I’m not pleased with (they said “it’s a Fiero and they are so hard to align so we did the best we could, but it’s not perfect... also we will add an extra $100 to the price too for our time.” And $700 later... ).

Anyway, I put it away for the winter and I’ll daily it again next year.

Alignment shops and Fieros have a long history. It's too bad, because a properly aligned Fiero is a wonderful thing...maybe the best reason to own a Fiero. As the Ogre said, ice can be anywhere, but approaching a small swamp bridge (notice the snow on the side) like you did on the video will magnify any issue, like worn tires or shifting gears. I have managed to do that just taking my foot off the accelerator. If the pavement was icy after the bridge, you would have been in the guard rail....so count your blessings!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done that n those conditions (and worse)
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2019 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

That is my Fiero in the video...

Thanks for posting that on line. I recognized the dash and had to take a double.

Happy that you are OK.
Flying_Dan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spun around and ready to keep going.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock