How much have you packed into a Fiero? by James_GT
Started on: 11-26-2019 07:17 PM
Replies: 26 (858 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 10-31-2021 03:12 PM
James_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maximum I've carried is all my camping gear - including a three-person tent, portable BBQ, car fridge, air mattress, sleeping bag, folding table & chairs, LED lanterns and other luggage

If I pack more efficiently, I may even be able to take a passenger

What's the most gear you've loaded into your Fiero?

------------------
James
RHD '87 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by James_GT (edited 11-29-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, I didn't know they made right-hand drive Fieros.....Second, I had a similar thread a month or two ago......and three, I was using my Fiero for camping for 15 years (1985-2000).

3 person tent (Behind driver's seat)
2 sleeping bags (Rear trunk)
2 cots (Rear Trunk)
2 clothes bags (Rear Trunk)
2 toiletries bags (Behind Driver's seat)
2 burner stove + propane cylinder (Behind pass seat)
Backpack with hiking shoes and camera inside (Behind Pass seat)
Coleman 4d Flashlight/Fluorescent (To left of Master Cylinder)
Camping cabinet (on top of spare up front with food/pan etc (Moved jack to in front of Master Cylinder)
Water jug (Rear Trunk)
Rake and tarp (On top of Cabinet)
Either my 6"telescope or my Sevylor inflatable Kayak (Bottom of rear trunk)

Only thing in passenger compartment was the small icebox in passenger footwell- still left 18" width for her legs

If I forgot something, the opening would be shaped like what I forgot!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 11-26-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I had a similar thread a month or two ago...

How much storage/trunk space did the Fiero have?
nosaint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i thought you meant money! LOTS!
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They don't make RHD's Fieros. Generally, depending on the State or Territory you may be required to convert to RHD to be able to register it for use on the public roads. If converted, the DMV may require an engineer's certificate certifying the car meets the national ADRs (Australian Design Rule) for motor vehicles that were in force when the care was built.

Conversion can be an expensive operation. Moving the steering wheel, and master cylinder is the big bits, changing the instrument pod from right to left is simple. Who does the conversion can make a big impact on the car's appearance. I've seen some that were spot-on beautiful. You'd be hard pressed to tell they weren't factory. Other's, not so much. They were real hack jobs that you could spot at 100-metres.

I have two '86 GT's. I've had them from before moving to Australia. I waited until they were 30-years old before importing them because in New South Wales you don't need to convert to RHD if the car is 30-years old or older. I have one on full , unrestricted registration. You still have to meet some of the ADR's if you want to use it on an unrestricted registration but those are minor (change the seat belt to have ADR certification labels, clear parking lights with yellow turn signals, change the headlamps to dip to the left instead of the right). I have historic club registration on the other. I had to do nothing to get historic registration except have the club certifier sign off that the car was not modified. I can use it 60-days each year on non-club events.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2019 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First, I didn't know they made right-hand drive Fieros.....Second, I had a similar thread a month or two ago......and three, I was using my Fiero for camping for 15 years (1985-2000)

That's a great effort, cvxjet! Incredible you were able to fit all that in, without resorting to towing a trailer or having a luggage rack fitted

I also have an inflatable Sevylor Kayak, may have to bring it along on the next trip
I'd have to ensure it's thoroughly cleaned before putting it back in the boot (trunk), otherwise the carpet may begin to smell like a saltwater river

Stove behind the seat is a good idea, didn't really utilise that space for anything other than my jackets last time
I brought a Coleman portable BBQ. When it's disassembled, it was small enough to fit into the top-left corner of the boot

My '87 GT was imported to Australia and RHD-converted, back in '89
'Mike in Sydney' is dead-on about the conversions. Some are beyond terrible, others look like they came that way from the factory

Originally posted by Patrick:

How much storage/trunk space did the Fiero have?

Thanks for linking the thread. I did a quick search, but must've missed this one

Originally posted by nosaint:

i thought you meant money! LOTS!

Haha, including all the pennies which mysteriously disappear from the ashtrays?

Here's another photo of the fully-packed boot. I'm sure I could stack a few more items in, the indentation in the decklid seems to allow for a little extra room

[This message has been edited by James_GT (edited 11-29-2019).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2019 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will try to get some picks of all my stuff- sadly, at the moment I have Lupus (From taking DR. prescribed Omeprazole) so I can't be in sunlight (Or fluorescents)(Burn in seconds) and my joints are all going out. To give you an idea how I packed; The rake- the head was on top of the cabinet up front, and the handle was rolled under the rubber seal at the leading edge of the trunk. It's been 20 years since I used the Fiero for camping....The camping cabinet is in bad shape- it was leaked on in the shed outside (I should have soaked the wood with fiberglass resin!)
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will try to get some picks of all my stuff- sadly, at the moment I have Lupus (From taking DR. prescribed Omeprazole) so I can't be in sunlight (Or fluorescents)(Burn in seconds) and my joints are all going out. To give you an idea how I packed; The rake- the head was on top of the cabinet up front, and the handle was rolled under the rubber seal at the leading edge of the trunk. It's been 20 years since I used the Fiero for camping....The camping cabinet is in bad shape- it was leaked on in the shed outside (I should have soaked the wood with fiberglass resin!)

Sorry to hear about your health, hope things improve for you soon

I like the way Fieros motivate you to be creative with the limited storage space, stashing things under the weatherseal is taking it to another level!

There's lots of innovative, compact camping gear on the market these days. I have a collapsible silicone kettle, which takes up minimal room. And of course, a Spork

Taking only the essentials isn't the most luxurious way to travel, but it was well worth it. The fun factor wouldn't have been as high if I'd brought the work van, even if it is a more practical vehicle for camping holidays

[This message has been edited by James_GT (edited 12-03-2019).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2019 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried drifting my minivan on a mountain road- not fun at all (It's FWD).....I suspect I learned a bit about packing from my stint in the Navy, especially while stationed on the USS Coral Sea...You have to pack everything into a space under your bunk....Maybe 6 feet by 2 feet by 6 inches deep, plus a small locker for your dress uniform...Luckily I had a spare room for my guitar and amp (Not lucky for anyone in ear........"Shot".......)(The spare room was for the maintenance of the Phalanx anti-aircraft guns (Which had not been installed yet)

Here is a combo pic of some of the stuff I took.....That is a Celestron C6N Telescope and a Coleman 5351 Flashlight- best damn flashlight ever.....I shined a spot on the United hangar a 1/4 mile away! (My friend thought no way)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-04-2019).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2019 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this goes back to my 1st Fiero- 85 GT w/ sunroof. A new home owner in 86, I took my Fiero to a supply distributor to pick up triple wall stainless steel chimney sections, at least 2 stories worth stuffed into the passenger area, sticking out the sunroof, in the trunk, between the rear window and spoiler. It worked although I had my doubts when I approached the car with all those boxes.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
65 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2017 BMW X3 3.0 T
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a couple of pics of the camping cabinet- I need to repair it so ignore how bad it looks and any visible cracks, etc. I started with a cardboard mockup back in 1988 and then my Father built this wood one- it has some odd shaping on the bottom to clear the large drain tube from the vent system plus a hole to clear the small bump on the heater fan. It also has a slot that keeps the cans(Chili, Soup, etc) from rolling around smashing other stuff.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-05-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@cvxjet

Haha, that would've been a challenge. My work van is also FWD, with soft suspension and skinny tyres. It's about the furthest thing from a sporty setup, and wouldn't be described as ideal for spirited driving
The naval training certainly paid off. Being able to carry camping equipment, luggage, professional-grade flashlight, plus a full-size telescope is beyond what I'd expect is physically possible!

The cabinet looks great, very well organised and unique. Up front I have a large soft bag, which holds tools, jump leads, fire extinguisher, high-visibility jackets, etc.
It's not as easy to access things in there as it is with your cabinet, but it's a cut above having loose items shifting around the compartment

@MarkS

When there's a will, there's a way! I can relate to having items sticking out the sunroof
My Dad and I had to do something like that, when we picked up a tall plant from our local Bunnings (Australian hardware store)
We probably could've come back with a larger car, but it was more fun figuring out a way to carry it in the Fiero. Even if it looked a little strange on the drive home
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went a step further this year with the Fiero camping concept, fitting a TFS tow hitch and assembling a small trailer to carry my gear. While I substantially increased my storage capacity, it didn't stop me from overpacking and filling the passenger seat with luggage again.

To be fair, I brought absolutely everything I needed to be self-sufficient on this trip. Including a 4kg LPG bottle, 22L water container, icebox, outdoor heater and a popup ensuite. Plus other bulky items, such as an inflatable kayak and collapsible paddle.

The tent was powered by the Odyssey AGM battery in the Fiero, with an Anderson connector lead. When departing the campsite, the lead detaches from the extension cable to the tent and coils up on top of the strut tower.

I love how versatile the Fiero is. If they had originally been designed as an all-out sports car, without the commuter car elements, I can't imagine it being nearly as capable on trips like this.

Looking forward to taking my RHD '87 GT on more camping adventures across Australia.

[This message has been edited by James_GT (edited 10-25-2021).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4 wheels and tires
A disassembled iron duke engine
2 passengers, 3 times (two were rescue missions during near blizzard conditions, my college roommate and his friend, and the same roommate and his fiance, now wife)
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
James.....How does the trailer do when you drift your Fiero thru the turns?

(I actually towed my CVX-20 Jet boat with a 99 Firebird Formula....Once, when a friend was following me up to Trinity lake, he remarked upon arrival that he was amazed at how fast I drove thru the turns towing the boat (But it does have a low center of gravity)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-25-2021).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never took my Fiero camping but I do take it to Costco and Smart & Final! Heck, I take it to Costco just for the challenge of it! My wife says, “why are taking that thing to Costco?It ain’t all gonna fit”. Oh yeah? Challenge On! If you buy it, I’ll make it fit😀

Here is a pic of a my 85 at Smart & Final. Not loaded very much on this run but I’ve loaded an impressive amount of groceries in this little guy.
Kit
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually when Paula and myself go to Carlisle for an overnight, my 87GT is full to capacity. My wife usually takes a dozen pieces of luggage for one overnight but due to limited space we take two piece of luggage and that pretty much fills the trunk. My laptop goes behind the passenger seat, then the tool bag, extra belts, cleaners, polishes chamois and fire extinguisher pretty much take up the front area where the spare is . Finally my wifes extra carry on bag fits in front of the passenger seat with her large purse. She's 6' tall so I don't know how she does it. On the 85GT 4.9L Convertible that I am just finishing up I will add a tow hitch and a cargo carrier.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

4 wheels and tires
A disassembled iron duke engine
2 passengers, 3 times (two were rescue missions during near blizzard conditions, my college roommate and his friend, and the same roommate and his fiance, now wife)

One time in highschool I did 2 passengers... but one went in the trunk... My buddy who went in the trunk wanted to see if he could still fit a couple years later. The latch caught and pinched his flank pretty good
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

One time in highschool I did 2 passengers... but one went in the trunk... My buddy who went in the trunk wanted to see if he could still fit a couple years later. The latch caught and pinched his flank pretty good

My roommate was kinda short. Him and his buddy - roommate on the center console, buddy in the passenger seat. Roommate and his fiance - roommate sitting in fiance's lap

The other time was my little brother called me for a ride and forgot to mention his girlfriend was with him. They were both tiny before his growth spurt, they fit SIDE BY SIDE in the Fiero passenger seat. Now he's taller than me.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shortly after we bought our first Fiero in 1993, my wife and I took the 85GT on a week-long camping trip. Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, barely into Kentucky, North and South Carolina. We had a 10 x 12 cabin tent that could sleep 6 people, a double sleeping bag and several blankets and pillows, Coleman stove and fuel, a percolator and coffee, a Boy Scout mess kit , 50 ft extension cord, bug light, a week's worth of clothing for each of us and a camera gadget bag.

I removed the spare tire and the Coleman and cooking stuff along with the power cord and bug light went up front. Clothing, bedding and tent in the trunk. We had nothing in the cabin with us but the camera gadget bag. I wasn't familiar with the idiosyncracies of the Fiero at that time and didn't carry a spare ignition module nor any tools for that matter except for a rubber mallet and a claw hammer for driving and removing tent stakes. Fortunately, we didn't have any problems.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to remove my passenger seat to get all the 20th Anniversary official event t-shirts in for the trip from Houston until I met up with George Ryan et al in Tulsa, where we moved them into his trailer.

But even with the seat removed, they were stacked ALL the way to the roof.

For right turns, I had to be very careful because the mountain of t-shirts wanted to fall over on me.

Got a photo of it somewhere but I can't seem to find it right now.
PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James_GT:

I went a step further this year

Looking forward to taking my RHD '87 GT on more camping adventures across Australia.

That's awesome!

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skybax

2384 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Sweet ship!

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skybax

2384 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Everything you see here was packed into the rear trunk of my GT about 18 years ago when our washer broke...

So I unloaded all the bags and the wife at mother-in-laws and went cruising, lol

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 10-26-2021).]

James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great efforts by everyone here! The passenger seat & footwell holds quite a lot, without having to be a pro at Tetris to pack it all in.

I'm aiming to avoid placing anything there on future trips, except the thermocooler which still leaves a decent amount of legroom.

There's extra capacity in the trailer if I stack things effectively, without going beyond the Fiero's tow weight specifications.

James.....How does the trailer do when you drift your Fiero thru the turns?

I take it easy through the bends, no drifting.

Trailer only has thin 12" wheels, wouldn't want to push it to the limits of grip in case the tyres don't hang on.

Have to say though, I'm impressed with how enjoyable it is towing with the Fiero. It doesn't feel bogged down with the 3.4 V6.

Even when it's fully loaded with all my camping gear, the stock suspension handles the bumps well and doesn't bottom-out.

'99 Firebird looks great towing the boat! Both have a very sleek appearance and would turn a few heads along the way.

Originally posted by Skybax:

That's awesome!

Thanks!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I was doing my interior back in 2017, I actually loaded up the entire NEW interior, (re-upholstered seats, carpets, and all) inside of it, so I could install it at my uncle's place.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2021 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, for towing my 1977 CVX-20 jet I would have preferred to have a 1973-74 Pontiac Grand Am/Can Am/GTO.......In blue to match the boat.

The shape of the rear-end would be similar to the boat's shape

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-31-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock