Is a GT conversion a real GT? by Mike in Sydney
Started on: 11-19-2019 10:10 PM
Replies: 13 (743 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 11-26-2019 06:38 PM
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While looking at Fieros on eBay. I stumbled across an '86 "GT" that appear to be in really good shape. When I read the ad, I saw that the "GT" was a notchie that had been converted with a rear GT clip and bumpers. The VIN clearly indicates it's a notchback coupe. The Seller says it's a true GT because he's converted it. I disagree and say it's a GT conversion. My question are would you consider this a true Fiero GT and, all things being equal, would you consider a GT conversion the same as a GT?

Let me say this, the conversion is beautifully done. Paint and interior is really nice.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion, the VIN makes the GT.

Nothing wrong with a conversion though... the factory trim level is mostly irrelevant, what matters is if you like how the car is now. No need for the seller to get hung up on the trim level.

Here's thedrue's 1986 Fiero GT:
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...6890&style=printable
It may not look like one at first glance, but it's a GT.

The other possibility is that you're looking at a stolen Fiero GT with a clean notchback VIN pasted onto it.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that the VIN makes the "GT"....I have an 85 SE V6 that I swapped 86-88 GT quarters on, but kept the base bumper-pad rear and also swapped a late base nose onto...I just wanted mine to look the way I thought it would look good- would never try to pass it off as a GT tho....

I can't post a pic here, but do a search for "cvxjet custom B pillars" and you should find a pic......
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a car is is based on the Vin.

But with that said in the case of the Fiero the 2M6 and GT are the same under the skin.

So physical you will have a GT on paper it will still have a 2M6.

As long as the work I’d done well and the miles are low will contribute more to what it is worth than anything.

Like the Ferrari body swap it is still Fiero even if it looks like a 308.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Like the Ferrari body swap it is still Fiero even if it looks like a 308.

Well, not quite the same....Under the Ferrari body is not a Ferrari frame and drivetrain. Under the converted GT is exactly what you would expect...a GT frame and drivetrain.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-20-2019).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Well, not quite the same....Under the Ferrari body is not a Ferrari frame and drivetrain. Under the converted GT is exactly what you would expect...a GT frame and drivetrain.

You know what I mean. Yes the Fiero is still mechanically the same but it is still not the GT on paper.

I have a 2M6 so I have no agenda here.

As for value does it really matter? Miles and condition matter more anymore outside the 88 models.
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very attractive Fiero cvxjet, with most all my favorite body panels together with a nice custom touch.
Mike in Sydney: Of course, the '86 is worth somewhere between what the seller and buyer imagine, but FWIW, my opinion is his car is not a GT.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's my thoughts, too. So the saying, "clothes maketh the man" doesn't apply in this case. It should be the "VIN maketh the car" (at least on vehicle titles and for insurance purposes).

------------------
Mike in Sydney

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it didn't leave the factory as a GT, then it is a GT Clone.
Been done lots of times, overall quality of the car and the conversion will determine ultimate value.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want the car to just drive and have fun, call it whatever you will. It probably doesn't matter.

If you're concerned about insurance and replacement cost, the insurance companies are going to (most likely) go by the VIN. After all, their job is to get out from under a claim as cheaply as possible.
If you're really concerned about insurance and replacement cost, you should probably talk with a purveyor of collector insurance, and buy an "agreed value" policy.
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anything here will be 100% opinion, but i don't think i'd consider a conversion and a factory gt the same.

any time something is 'converted' i consider it a little bit less desirable than the factory version. or at least less valuable.

it's like the difference between a numbers matching car and one that's been rebuilt with newer parts.

in this case, i would consider the car worth less than a 'true' gt, but if the work is done well, the fiero really was designed to allow this kind of thing. i wouldn't stress about it personally, but i'm guessing the issue here is the owner thinks it's worth more than you do, which really is outside of your control. Offer a price you think is fair and be prepared to walk away if he doesn't accept it.
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a Clone or tribute car just like you can take a 69 Lemans and make it look like a GTO but it never will be one due to it did not come from the factory as one

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 11-21-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2019 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:
While looking at Fieros on eBay. I stumbled across an '86 "GT" that appear to be in really good shape. When I read the ad, I saw that the "GT" was a notchie that had been converted with a rear GT clip and bumpers. The VIN clearly indicates it's a notchback coupe. The Seller says it's a true GT because he's converted it. I disagree and say it's a GT conversion. My question are would you consider this a true Fiero GT and, all things being equal, would you consider a GT conversion the same as a GT?

Let me say this, the conversion is beautifully done. Paint and interior is really nice.
The current owner is full of BS.
VIN number is what a car is regardless of whatever bolted on them after.
VIN is the Only thing that matters to most Gov's Motor Vehicle people and Insurance Co.

Is also why many fools w/ Truck w/ aftermarket heavy springs etc still get tickets for overweight. Only thing that matters is the Factory Weight Rating... The GVWR in the US that's tied to VIN, Other countries have same but slightly a different name for it. Most Cops have this data just by running your tag before they want you license etc when stop you.

Claiming is a GT but VIN says Not a GT is Fraud in many places and most auctions houses/sites.

GT has charges to Fiero base model beside body parts. GT steering rack and others are different. VIN also shows what engine it has/had from factory too. RPO label shows many others.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
while I agree that a Coupe is born a Coupe and a GT is born a GT. I had this issue when I took a 88 Coupe and replaced the engine with a DOHC 3.4 motor. Then upgraded the suspension w/ a GT sway bar in the rear, coilovers, 12" brakes (front/rear), poly bushings and added 16" Beretta GT rims. I upgraded the interior w/ a GT wheel, and added aux gauges and Mr Mikes seat covers. THEN i made a mistake.... I put "FORMULA" stickers on the doors. Even though I had a car with all the Formula upgrades and even better motor, suspension and brakes.... It was not "BORN" a Formula. Took a lot of crap about it and finally took off the stickers.

Years later I showed up at Carlisle with the same car, now wearing a GT "fastback" clip, and when they classed me they put me in the Coupe class b/c the car's VIN was 88 Coupe.

I guess for selling purpose, you have to use the VIN not what it looks like. Kind of like the early GTO guys or the GTO Judge sellers. It should be sold as what it left the factory as.

Rob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock