I bought an Indy! by FieroJimmy
Started on: 11-16-2019 03:51 PM
Replies: 10 (376 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-19-2019 07:02 PM
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's been off the road for over 15 years, and it's going to need a lot of work. But it's very complete. It's missing the silver valve cover, the wrapped shift knob, and the original seats.

I'll have the car home within the next two weeks...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierochic88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! Hope to see it at Carlisle next year. Was this the $750 one?
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Hopefully you get yours fixed up faster than I have mine. Looks to be in pretty good shape. I might have some ok shape factory seat fabric I’d sell if you can’t find factory seats. I’d just have to figure out where I put it.

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: 3800 Swap in progress

FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2019 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierochic88:

Congrats! Hope to see it at Carlisle next year. Was this the $750 one?

Yeah, that's the one. I wasn't really looking for another Fiero, but I can't pass up an Indy for under a grand. I probably overpaid at $750, considering the engine appears to be seized, and the rust on the trunk corners and frame rails. But I just knew if somebody else bought it it would wind up either stripped or butchered. As far as being at Carlisle, I don't know, but that does give me a deadline to shoot for. And I work better with a deadline, lol.

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Awesome! Hopefully you get yours fixed up faster than I have mine. Looks to be in pretty good shape. I might have some ok shape factory seat fabric I’d sell if you can’t find factory seats. I’d just have to figure out where I put it.

I think seats are a ways off for me, getting it running and driving is my top priority. But I am definitely in the market, now.
robymon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robymonSend a Private Message to robymonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! What are your plans for her?
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It really depends on the condition/originality of the engine. It may be seized, and I suspect it's not the original. I'll have to check the VIN stamping. If it's original, I'm going to pull it and rebuild it, seized or not. If it's seized, but not original, I'll build a different block (I'm kind of kicking around the idea of doing a Mercruiser stroker) or possibly an engine swap that doesn't require hacking up the chassis. I really want to keep it original, but if the original block is gone I would really like some more power...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many '84 engines were replaced as part of a recall...chances are good your numbers will not match.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very few engine swaps require any modification to the chassis....
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJimmy:

I probably overpaid at $750, considering the engine appears to be seized, and the rust on the trunk corners and frame rails.

If rusted badly, how do you plan to deal with the rear upper frame rails? (That would scare me away from a purchase more than a seized engine.)
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Many '84 engines were replaced as part of a recall...chances are good your numbers will not match.

Oh, I know. I'm hoping it matches, but with the wrong valve cover I don't have high hopes.

Originally posted by olejoedad

Very few engine swaps require any modification to the chassis....

I would disagree with that, especially on an '84. On an '84 you can't even swap a 2.8 in without drilling holes. (Specifically for the front lower shock mount, the '84 cradles don't have the holes for them.) N*, Short*, SBC, LS4, 3.5L Chrysler, VW TDI, 3.4TDC, 3800 (depending on how you do the exhaust and dog bone mount), Ecotec, Q4 all take some level of modification as the swaps are typically done, or would require some out of the box thinking to get around them. I've been into Fieros for 25 years, I've seen or read about almost every different swap that's been done in that timeframe.

Originally posted by Patrick

If rusted badly, how do you plan to deal with the rear upper frame rails? (That would scare me away from a purchase more than a seized engine.)

I have the steel tube to fabricate new rails (if I need to, I didn't pull the wheel well liners) as rubyredfiero did in this thread: Fiero Restoration - Upper Frame Rails
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJimmy:

I have the steel tube to fabricate new rails (if I need to, I didn't pull the wheel well liners) as rubyredfiero did in this thread: Fiero Restoration - Upper Frame Rails

You (and rubyredfiero) definitely have more skillz than me!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock