realistic Fiero selling prices by sledcaddie
Started on: 11-11-2019 04:44 PM
Replies: 54 (1646 views)
Last post by: exc911ence on 01-01-2020 01:47 AM
86dreamachine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86dreamachineSend a Private Message to 86dreamachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://chillicothe.craigsl...o-gt/7014873490.html

1800$ for an auto gt. This is a fair local price as far as what's within driving distance for me...
IP: Logged
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I restore a few here and there.. over the years selling online was no longer an option. Selling locally from my shop parking lot, my front yard or a friends really has worked the best for me. Much higher sales prices, a lot less stress from keyboard tire kickers.

The community of Fiero owners themselves seem to drive prices down amongst each other in my opinion.

This is so true.

But, the problem exists amongst many (if not all) car types. People with no intent to buy and likely no means to buy like to criticize asking prices online (especially FB) and sabotage others' sale threads.
exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2019 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/88TTopGT/5E 6F51AD-D05F-4C42-93AA-2F52EB9EA11A.png[/img]
I saw these online recently while cruising for deals, I was astonished by some of the asking prices! One says SOLD! with an asking price over $42000! I wonder what it actually sold for?
exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will find that they didn't sell for anything... the pictures of the cars in the ads will be random cars pulled from the internet, and the ad copy pure b.s. written by some scammer phishing for e-mails to sell worldwide. Used to be that scammers advertised cars for ridiculously low prices to hook people, now they shoot for the moon for who knows what reason. Don't fall for this crap.
88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do we know that is the case? Or at what point do we decide it must be a scam? What would you say about these?
88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88TTopGT

26 posts
Member since Dec 2019
[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/88TTopGT/3B 94DC75-FA2A-4AD7-95D1-088325F20469.png[/img]
88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88TTopGT

26 posts
Member since Dec 2019
I don’t know about you, or anyone else.. but I choose to believe from what I have seen, and what I am currently seeing, that these Fiero’s are slowly rising in value. They are not a poor man’s option anymore. Personally I am glad to see prices on the rise! I am proud of my Fiero, and to think it may be worth a decent penny makes me hopeful that finally these are beginning to get the recognition that they deserve.
Just my opinion.
exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88TTopGT:

I don’t know about you, or anyone else.. but I choose to believe from what I have seen, and what I am currently seeing, that these Fiero’s are slowly rising in value. They are not a poor man’s option anymore. Personally I am glad to see prices on the rise! I am proud of my Fiero, and to think it may be worth a decent penny makes me hopeful that finally these are beginning to get the recognition that they deserve.
Just my opinion.

I agree that Fiero prices are on the rise, but I personally don't think that they're ever going to hit the same highs that 60s/70s musclecars did, or that 90s Japanese cars currently are. It feels like they were just skipped over, like the IROC and Trans Am and C4 Corvette. This may change but the collector market is generation driven, folks buying things they wanted as young people but weren't able to afford until they saw some success and started making enough money to have disposable income. The Boomers were musclecar guys, no argument there and the GenXers (like myself) were mostly into import cars as the domestic scene was pretty barren in our formative years. Of course there were exceptions... Buick Grand Nationals being the most obvious, Mustang 5.0L LX notchbacks being another... but for the most part, the late-80s and early-90s belonged to the imports. The cars coming out of Japan and Europe were fast, beautiful and well built whereas the domestic stuff was compromised, poorly screwed together and many were leftovers from the malaise 1970s. It's no wonder 80s domestics are being overlooked by most people.

The Fiero does stand out as being something different though. It's design and construction, its mid-engine drivetrain, even its styling stood out as being something special. That's why I like them, and probably why you do too. It's also why most people don't like them... people are sheep after all and to a lot of people, something only has value if someone else desires it too. People like to show off and one-up their neighbours and they can't do that if their neighbour couldn't care less about their stuff. Sad but it's human nature. It's the only explanation for why the 1957 Chevrolet is so popular... it's a frankly overwrought and somewhat ugly car (especially in comparison to its peers... the 1957 Chryslers are world's more attractive and advanced) but "everyone" loves them! Why? Because everyone loves them! It's always been hard to stand out and be special... in highschool, kids that stand out are picked on and ridiculed.... the Fiero is that kid in school who kept to him/herself... a wallflower at the prom, assuming they even went.

One thing on the Fiero's side is rarity, or the rarity of good ones. GM built a TON of these cars and there was a time that they were absolutely everywhere but now? Most have disappeared through attrition. So many fell by the wayside due to neglect or just daily usage that they're now seldom seen out in the wild. Really nice examples are few and far between as most were just used up and thrown away. And of course the 1988 model year cars will always be extra special thanks to their upgrades. But $30K worth of special? $40K? Not likely. Even $20K would be a stretch in my opinion. It's not that the Fiero shouldn't have collector value, it just won't until demand outstrips supply. And the demand isn't there quite yet. It may never be. Or it might. Time will tell. The other thing playing against the Fiero was brought up in another thread: there are cars that are much better sportscars in the same price-range. Early Porsche Boxsters and Caymans, C5 Corvettes, Toyota MR-S, Scion/Subaru FR-S/BR-Z twins, etc, etc. For someone to pay up for a Fiero, well, they'd have to just really want a Fiero.

And I'm not going to touch the overblown poor reputation of the Fiero. Hard to believe that the misinformation is still so oft-quoted today...

At the end of the day something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It'll be fun to watch how things play out in the future. Assuming gas-fueled cars even have a future.
88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well said, with good points!
I will say that I do think that the IROC and Trans Am are definitely in or approaching 70’s muscle car territory. A clean example IROC convertible is $25,000 all day long, and a special edition 78-81 trans am is $30,000-$60,000.
My last collector car was a 79 trans am ws6 black with the gold bird and graphics. I sold it to a guy in Nanaimo who sold it for almost double two years later at $40,000 and it wasn’t even a 4spd.
Now after owning two 87 Fiero GT’s ( made money on both of them) I am glad to have found what I believe to be the holy grail of fiero’s, an 88 GT T-top which I have enjoyed for just over a year now. I am not ashamed to say I paid $22,000 for it, but maybe to me these notable sale prices mean that not only is this an amazing car to own and drive, but can it be a good collector investment too? I would sure like to believe so. Also thank you for sharing your perspectives!
exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well said, with good points!
I will say that I do think that the IROC and Trans Am are definitely in or approaching 70’s muscle car territory. A clean example IROC convertible is $25,000 all day long, and a special edition 78-81 trans am is $30,000-$60,000.
My last collector car was a 79 trans am ws6 black with the gold bird and graphics. I sold it to a guy in Nanaimo who sold it for almost double two years later at $40,000 and it wasn’t even a 4spd.
Now after owning two 87 Fiero GT’s ( made money on both of them) I am glad to have found what I believe to be the holy grail of fiero’s, an 88 GT T-top which I have enjoyed for just over a year now. I am not ashamed to say I paid $22,000 for it, but maybe to me these notable sale prices mean that not only is this an amazing car to own and drive, but can it be a good collector investment too? I would sure like to believe so. Also thank you for sharing your perspectives!

Thank you!

The collector car market definitely has some "gravity" in it, where I mean that some cars rise so high in the market that lesser related cars start to be dragged up with them. An example would be the 67-69 Camaros... they went stratospheric so naturally people of less financial means started looking at the 70 1/2-81 cars as they weren't much different and could be made equal performers with very little work. Now those cars are gaining ground as you pointed out so why wouldn't the 82-up cars start to rise to fill the gap left behind? They totally should! This assumes that people actually desire the cars, of course.

The same thing happened with the air-cooled Porsche 911. The 73-earlier "longhood" cars got popular and rose quickly. There was a time that you couldn't give away a 74-77 911 but they got dragged up with the earlier cars as they were essentially the same behind the impact-bumpers and emissions controls. Now all air-cooled 911s are made of gold.

The Fiero is a stand-alone though... it has no older brother to push its value up so it has to do it all on its own. This could change with the upcoming mid-engined C8 Corvette though... suddenly the Fiero might find itself being pumped up by its newborn cousin. That's an interesting idea that I can't wait to see play out. Assuming it does.

Being that this is forum is the centre of the Fiero universe, of course everyone here would love to see the cars get more respect, gain more value and finally find their place in the world... myself included! I've loved the cars since the first "P-car spy shots" in the big car magazines in the early-80s, and that love was cemented by a family friend buying the first red 2M4SE in town. I saw that car all the time and it burned itself into my soul. I test drove a brand new 88 GT when I was 18 and enjoyed every second of it, despite the fact that I could never have afforded it on my part-time Arby's wage. I eventually got into an 86 GT 5-speed and now have the 88 GT 5-speed I wanted when they were new. To me it's priceless! However I think I'd be lucky to get $7-8000 Cdn if I wanted to sell it, even with the rebuilt engine and well-preserved condition. Did you pay too much at $22K? Not if you love the car. They were near that when new so why not? As I said before, something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it so your car was worth $22K when you bought it. It's that easy.

We should meet up some day since we're both in the Victoria area and we both have the vastly superior 1988 model GTs.
PFF
System Bot
88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree! Great story! Thank you, and yes I would love to meet up come some fairer weather! I have another local friend or two with fiero’s, we could have quite a cars and coffee dedicated to these cars and the passion we have for them!
exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2020 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88TTopGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2020 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTopGTSend a Private Message to 88TTopGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2020 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.hotcars.com/t-t...of-cash-in-2020/amp/

The inclusion of the Chrysler Cordoba nulled and voided that whole list. Seriously though, the Dodge Magnum was always a massively good looking car... and those Daytona Shelby Zs? Another favourite.

Oh yeah, the Fiero was pretty cool in its day too.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock