Started on: 11-10-2019 06:23 PM
Replies: 4 (262 views)
Last post by: Will on 11-11-2019 10:04 AM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the Storm Trooper has had a mahogany Grant #704 wheel in it since the day I bought it, I tracked down https://cgautowood.com/ for a mahogany shift knob.
Their customer communication is terrible and it took 2.5 months to make, but they made a couple more at the same time, so they have some stock to ship. The product looks beautiful and feels great.
Naturally they use an M16x1.5 threaded insert required for the Fiero shifter. I had them recess it 1 3/8" into the knob so that it duplicates the height of the stock knob. I had them include a Pontiac arrowhead, although they could use a different badge, a shift pattern or no marquee at all at the request of the buyer.

The knob was stiff to thread onto the shifter. I bought these from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p...TMHX16X1-5/305502873
https://www.homedepot.com/p...DWTT16X1-5/305699909

The die just took the paint off the shifter. The tap cut a nice pile of chips out of the CGAutowood insert, pic below. After I chased the threads in the knob, it spun onto the shifter very easily.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-10-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I don't see it on their website yet; I suppose one would have to call to order this part?

What determines the installed height of this knob, or the stock knob for that matter? Does the tip of the shift lever just wedge into the tapered part of the female threaded hole, or is there some sort of stop?

This is semi-appealing to me, as I have a grey shift knob in an otherwise tan/brown interior. The wood knob could help solve that mismatch.
robymon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robymonSend a Private Message to robymonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice upgrade! It adds a classic touch.
Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That does look great. Perhaps, just maybe, an aluminum, steel, Teflon washer could be inserted in the threader bung that could allow ya to have the Pontiac emblem aligned fore & aft. JUST an idea.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Cool! I don't see it on their website yet; I suppose one would have to call to order this part?

Originally posted by Will:

Their customer communication is terrible

Call them. Emailing is a waste of time. I don't expect this product to show up on their website.

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
What determines the installed height of this knob, or the stock knob for that matter? Does the tip of the shift lever just wedge into the tapered part of the female threaded hole, or is there some sort of stop?

Originally posted by Rick Morehouse:

That does look great. Perhaps, just maybe, an aluminum, steel, Teflon washer could be inserted in the threader bung that could allow ya to have the Pontiac emblem aligned fore & aft. JUST an idea.

For the stock knob, I *think* the end of the shifter hitting the bottom of the hole determines height.

For the CGAW knob, the bottom of the insert running out of threads on the shifter determines installation height. I had them recess the insert 1 3/8" in order to duplicate the height of the stock knob.

Yes, one could experimentally shim it to get the arrowhead pointed in the right direction.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock