Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  V-8-swapped-fiero-is-the-perfect-budget-c8-corvette-alternative

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
V-8-swapped-fiero-is-the-perfect-budget-c8-corvette-alternative by David Hambleton
Started on: 10-24-2019 01:58 PM
Replies: 12 (555 views)
Last post by: Steel on 11-01-2019 01:56 AM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Budget fun. What (my) Fieros have always been!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/a...gFp0#image=AAJiSsQ|9

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stapler8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stapler8Send a Private Message to stapler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet I'd be staining my trousers brown if I floored that beast from the line. Those LT1's get quite a bit of power for a light car like the Fiero.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Calling it a C8 alternative is a quite a stretch.... But a nice car indeed! I bet it sounds great too
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
“Best V8 conversion in country” from the eBay ad. Ummm... I’m sorry but I think there are several guys out there with LS swapped Fieros that would beg to differ.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My thoughts too...
Flyboygt86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flyboygt86Send a Private Message to Flyboygt86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree my LS1 should be great if I can ever get it running
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO, the LS4 makes the best Fiero V8 engine swap but if you look at what member Darkhorizon has done; he ran a 9.87 @142 mph 1/4 mile run with his 3800. That is the current record for a Pontiac Fiero. To my knowledge no other Pontiac Fiero has run in the 9's.
https://youtu.be/wDccYFa_kxI

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-27-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best swap is a LOT more than the fastest 1/4 mile.
There are many cars that make better drag cars than the Fiero, but few cars that are as pleasing to drive as a well sorted and drivetrain swapped Fiero.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
IMO, the LS4 makes the best Fiero V8 engine swap but if you look at what member Darkhorizon has done; he ran a 9.87 @142 mph 1/4 mile run with his 3800. That is the current record for a Pontiac Fiero. To my knowledge no other Pontiac Fiero has run in the 9's.
https://youtu.be/wDccYFa_kxI

I think Fog and DC Plasma would take exception with your statement that Darkhorizon is the only fiero in the 9's, as he clearly is not.

Originally posted by olejoedad:

There are many cars that make better drag cars than the Fiero, but few cars that are as pleasing to drive as a well sorted and drivetrain swapped Fiero.

I fully agree with this. I am not sure what the "best" swap would be, but it certainly wouldn't be a one trick pony in my book.

It would be more about overall balance: Hp, tq, fuel efficiency, exhaust note (tone, volume, and limited to zero drone), visual impact in the engine bay, AC, cruise, overall refinement (ability to drive with minimal surging, stalling, overheating, or other temperamental behavior), reliable (not constantly breaking down or breaking parts), handling (good cornering w/o a bone jarring ride), braking (faster stopping the better and with the ability for repeated max effort stops), and overall enjoyment of the driving experience.

Some slow cars are a lot of fun to drive, some high powered ones the driving experience is down right punishing and after 30 minutes you just want out of the car.

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Also agree. As long as the 50/50 balance is closely maintained as possible it will travel around corners to.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
50/50 balance?
Hahaha, that is an advertising gimmick.

A 7 to 10 percent rear weight bias (43/57 to 40/60) is much better for cornering, stopping and accelerating.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I think Fog and DC Plasma would take exception with your statement that Darkhorizon is the only fiero in the 9's, as he clearly is not.

I guess that if this was an electric vehicle enthusiasts forum this comment may be applicable but if the Plazma and FOG also run 9's it is really way off what we do here with engine swaps on cars that are regularly driven. Darkhorizons car is streetable, practical and he can go over 250 miles without refilling. The electric Fieros are one off oddities for the track. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps if we had a better trans option, then on some level, I could agree. Even a fully built/upgraded 4t65e-hd with GMR hard parts/chain isn't enough, I broke mine twice now and.. disheartening.

I'm working on a very expensive but interesting solution, the big power transverse swaps should appreciate.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock