New Fiero Owner by bincitybandit
Started on: 10-23-2019 09:54 PM
Replies: 6 (270 views)
Last post by: fierofrenzy on 10-26-2019 08:40 AM
bincitybandit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bincitybanditSend a Private Message to bincitybanditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there!

I just bought my first Fiero a little over a week ago. It is a 1985 GT, 2.8L V6 with a 4 speed manual transmission. Has about 100,000 miles. It seems to run pretty darn well, I'd say it was regularly driven and maintained by the previous owner. The interior is super clean, except for the driver seat. The body is intact and straight but needs a paint job. It appears to have been through the "Krylon Body Shop". I'll never understand why people feel the need to "touch up" their cars with rattle cans. I plan on painting it for my winter project.

So far, I have had a forum member here helping out with getting the speedo working. I just replaced the shocks with KYB's and that made a great difference in the ride quality! There was nothing left in the old ones, I suspect they were original to the car. So pleased, I am going to do struts next. I solved a trouble code by replacing the MAP sensor, and I've put LED bulbs in the dash for better, more modern visibility. I've replaced a couple vacuum lines, but am hoping I don't need to upgrade the entire set with the metal ones that are sold now.

Next on the list is to do some some exhaust work. The hangers are broken and I plan on removing the CAT, and possibly upgrading the muffler because I don't care for the sound of the car. I would also like to get the parking brake working properly, as it does nothing right now. It looks as if the plug wires and rotor cap were replaced recently, as well as the fuel filter. It definitely hasn't been sitting in a shed for 15 years, someone has been doing regular maintenance to this car.

The car is a blast from the past for me. My parents bought a brand new one in 1984 or 1985 when I was about 8 years old. I have fond memories of sharing the passenger seat with my best friend as a 3rd grader after being picked from school, or riding on the "hump" in the middle on longer trips. That's why I bought it.

Anyways, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I am sure I will have a lot of questions to ask experienced Fiero owners on this site in the future as I go about the process of getting this car into the shape I want it to be in. I enjoy restoring old cars, pickups, and tractors. However I consider myself a "Jack of all trades, but master of none", so I'll be looking for guidance here. It seems to be a great site with lots of knowledge to offer!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! You actually rode on the center console as a kid? Thats hilarious. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

------------------
"America is all about speed, hot nasty bad-ass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tetanus
1984 3800 II SC Build

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness. Fieros are great little cars. I am on #11 myself. The two I have now are keepers. So were all of them but wanted a new projects. If you have questions ask away.

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt you can ride the hump these days. Welcome. It does take a little more effort to keep them running well these days but the parts and expertise are out there if you know where to look.
Flying_Dan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! We're always happy to see another Fiero owner.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the best Fiero information resource on the web and good luck with your new project. Just remember that your car is over 30 years old and will require repair and TLC. That might be particularly applicable to seals, hoses , belts and rubber bushings.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard " Jack". You sure are on the right site as a newbe and we welcome you. Parts, advice, fun stories, there all here. And just like any other 30 some year old car, problems will arise. But they can be fixed, often not to difficultly, and the crusin fun continues.
I got two Fieros and love it !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock