Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What music do you listen to while cruising? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What music do you listen to while cruising? by stapler8
Started on: 10-21-2019 04:25 AM
Replies: 40 (592 views)
Last post by: Habanera Hal on 11-05-2019 07:38 PM
stapler8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stapler8Send a Private Message to stapler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's your go-to genre for a nice cruise out on the backroads?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 is full of Tangerine Dream(electronic music) cassettes. I made countless 70 miles highway trips at 2am listening to their Pergamon or Canyon Dreams albums.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... I think the radios work, but I usually just listen to the satisfying sounds of a Fiero humming along (and the voices... )

What about you?

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 10-21-2019).]

BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Day cruising playlist: https://open.spotify.com/pl...Bf-Sy5Rda54EbxUbkZIQ
(80s rock)

Night cruising playlist: https://open.spotify.com/pl...1-3b_tQUOuaUVfk08xzw
(Synthwave and slower 80s music)
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ray Charles on cassette...the more tape distortion the better....
DukeHog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeHogSend a Private Message to DukeHogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glGxKdTImfU
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RADAR LOVE!!! (by Golden Earring) Best cruising song ever.....I mainly like "Album rock"...Stuff like Pink Floyd, Heart, Beatles, Moody Blues, etc...And my personal Favorite group; Old Queen (1973 to 1977) If you have watched the movie Bohemian Rhapsody, and like that style of song, listen to "March of the Black Queen" and also "Nevermore" from Queen II - Not cruising songs but really good. (If you are not a Queen fan- Check out "Drowse" from their "Day at the Races" Album- the drummer wrote/sang/played guitar on it, and it doesn't sound anything like Queen)

Dukehog- I am watching HIMYM right now (Every morning 8-9) and it is the "Arrivederci Fiero" episode where the car dies at 199999 miles.....and they had "I would walk 500 miles..." approx' 10 times.....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-21-2019).]

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an old Car & Driver CD of tunes that are arguably the GREATEST road songs ever:

No Particular Place To Go / Chuck Berry

On The Road Again / Canned Heat

Highway 49 / Howlin' Wolf

Rocket 88 Jackie Brentson & His Delta Cats

Little Deuce Coupe / Beach Boys

Ballad Of Thunder Road / Robert Mitchum(!)

Hot Rod Race / Jimmy Dolan (years ago I rewrote the lyrics to create Fiero Race between a GT and a Formula with a "hopped-up 2M4" at the end. I wish I had kept that cassette.)

409 / Beach Boys

Little GTO / Ronny & The Daytonas

Dead Man's Curve / Jan & Dean

Shut Down / Beach Boys

(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66 / Asleep At The Wheel

Drag City / Jan & Dean

Hot Rod Lincoln / Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

RADAR LOVE!!! (by Golden Earring) Best cruising song ever...

I really like that song... but it's a close second to Highway Star by Deep Purple.

Crank it up... pedal to the metal!

87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
80s music for me. I get my 80s on when driving my 80s car.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI S

stapler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stapler8Send a Private Message to stapler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just realised I forgot to say my preference!

Usually if I'm just out for a cruise down the highway it'll be classic rock, or even some old country if it's late at night and I'm in a relaxed mood.

If I'm trying to keep my speed up and hit some corners fast then some '70s hard rock like Deep Purple or electronic music depending on how I'm feeling.
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RADAR LOVE!!! (by Golden Earring) Best cruising song ever....

I would say it is a tie between that and Flyin' in a Blue Dream by Joe Satriani
exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever is on the radio as I have no cassettes.....
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sound of internal combustion and the spool of the turbocharger.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 10-21-2019).]

yamaha94

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
80s/90s AOR, hard rock and hair metal....my phone is full of bands no-one has heard of. I do have a tape deck. Went back to it for nostalgic reasons. I usually use a BT to radio adapter to my phone. Crank the tunes!

Going Alphabetical here:

Autograph, Babylon AD, Badlands, The Brave, Beau Geste and Brian Hughes , B.E. Taylor Group, Child's Play, Craaft,Cry Wolf, Danger Danger, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drive She Said, Europe, Extreme, Faster Pussycat, Fastway, Firehouse, Giant, Great White, Guns and Roses, Hardline, Harem Scarem, Helix, Icon, Jeff Paris, Jimmy Barnes, Joe Satriani, Journey, Judas Priest, Kansas, Kick Axe, Killer Dwarfs, Kings X, Kiss, Kix, Lion, Loudness, MSG, Motorhead, Motley Crue, Megadeth, Metallica, Michael Bolton (the early stuff!), Night Ranger, Nitro, Ozzy Osbourne, Queensryche, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Raven, The Ravyns, Rhino Bucket, Roadhouse, Roko, Saints and Sinners, Savatage, Santers, Saxon, Scorpions, Shark Island, Skid Row, Slaughter, Spy V. Spy, Stan Bush, Stone Fury, Stryper, Survivor, Triumph, Tangier, Tesla,TNT, Trixter, Treat, Twisted Sister, Valentine, Van Zant, Van Halen, Vandenberg, W.A.S.P. ,Warrant, Weapons, Whitesnake, White Lion, White Sister, Wildside, XYZ, Y&T, ZAR, Zebra, Zeno, 220 Volt, 38 Special.

All from memory....
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I really like that song... but it's a close second to Highway Star by Deep Purple.

Crank it up... pedal to the metal!

Highway Star- Great choice! I still prefer Radar Love, tho.....Interestingly, I don't particularly like 80s music nor any dang Disco...But one of the best songs I ever heard was Blondie's "Heart of Glass" Just perfect (Maybe not a perfect cruising song tho!

I just watched a youtube vid; "Toccata and Fugue" on electric guitar...absolutely terrific! (If you look it up, it's the one where a guy in gray is playing a reddish brown guitar) I am going to have to try to learn to play that.......It actually would go over big at a rock concert.....

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AsaBergman:

My 84 is full of Tangerine Dream(electronic music) cassettes. I made countless 70 miles highway trips at 2am listening to their Pergamon or Canyon Dreams albums.

The soundtrack from the movie " The Sorcerer" = PRICELESS The movie was good too

I also have a double disk that's pretty good too
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just watched a youtube vid; "Toccata and Fugue" on electric guitar...absolutely terrific! (If you look it up, it's the one where a guy in gray is playing a reddish brown guitar) I am going to have to try to learn to play that.......It actually would go over big at a rock concert.....

There are about a million versions of this Bach composition on YouTube. If you haven't heard This one, you might enjoy it.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36360 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by RossT:

The soundtrack from the movie " The Sorcerer" = PRICELESS The movie was good too

Look up "Thief", starring James Caan, from 1981. Directed by Michael Mann. Very good movie and great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-22-2019).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great one Patrick- I personally really enjoy the Fantasia version of T and F.

Once, long ago, I was driving in Utah on highway 24 from Hanksville north- the road is flat and straight for miles......Every so often you pass a mesa- I expected at any moment to see Wile E. and the Road Runner come screaming by! To top it off, there was a herd of those puffy clouds with virga trailing down (Maybe 500 feet above)- They looked like the balloon festival at Albuquerque....

I was sick of the music on my cassettes, so I scanned- not much (This is in the middle of SERIOUS nowhere!) Suddenly got a classical music station- it just seemed to fit, so I drove along listening to that for the rest of 24....I wish I could have taken a pic of those clouds- it was spectacular!

I have a guide for driving southern Utah that I set up for the Coast Guardsmen I worked with- Basically, you circle around Lake Powell and hit all the NPS and NMs......It is like a whole 'nother world- do it in spring (May) or Fall (Early October) and it won't be psycho-hot.....but get a camp spot before 4 pm! There was a number of times between the NPs that I thought to myself "This wasn't GOOD enough to be in a National Park?!"
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many years ago, I started a compilation of songs I called “Fiero Driving Music”. This was back in the cassette era, before burnable CDs were affordable. So it is divided up into volumes and parts one and two. I started off with four volumes of a total of eight parts, and it is now grown to 16 volumes. That makes enough music to fill 32 CDs. Mostly classic rock and a variety of pop and other stuff. I think it’s around 430 songs, and contains a lot of the stuff mentioned here in this thread.

Wow, Tangerine Dream. Nice to see I’m not the only one who knows about them. Try listening to their album Phaedra on a dark road.

A good band for driving music is Shpongle, if you like electronic/trance/psychedelic stuff...

https://youtu.be/a83Z1d1_ERo
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Wow, Tangerine Dream. Nice to see I’m not the only one who knows about them. Try listening to their album Phaedra on a dark road.

I've enjoyed their music for a long time. Saw them playing "live" here during a concert at Expo 86. I put the word "live" in quotations... as the guys from the band came out on stage, sat down at their keyboards, played for an hour or so, then got up and left. No interaction with the audience at all. After that I figured I'd be better off just buying their CDs.

A good band for driving music is Shpongle, if you like electronic/trance/psychedelic stuff...

Sounds like Spanish guitar music played by aliens. I like it! I'll have to check them out.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-23-2019).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you want to hear so real high speed car songs do ya ? Then check out this group BLACK OAK ARKANSAS . With songs like Highway Pirate, Movin ,Leather Angel, and Hot Rod, these guys are downright hot and nasty ! matter of fact, that's a song by them too.
And if their drummer looks familiar, that's Tommy Aldridge, who went on to play with Pat Travers, Ozzy Osborne, and is now presently Whitesnakes drummer.
…..after that, I'd have to go with Highway Star also...
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Sounds like Spanish guitar music played by aliens. I like it! I'll have to check them out.

They have several albums, and the styles of the songs varies. But often alien sounding.

If you search YouTube, look for their albums Codex IV and Museum of Conciousness, their two newest. It’s a good starting point. And it’s also headphone music, if you like good stereo and atmospherics. Real ear candy.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

...check out this group BLACK OAK ARKANSAS . With songs like Highway Pirate, Movin ,Leather Angel, and Hot Rod, these guys are downright hot and nasty ! matter of fact, that's a song by them too.

Here's the song of their's that I'm most familiar with. Great harmonica. It was released in 1973, the same year I graduated from high school. Damn, where have the years gone!

If you search YouTube, look for their albums Codex IV and Museum of Conciousness, their two newest...

I'll do that. Thanks!
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ozark Mountain Daredevels ? No, Its Black Oak....How do you get OMD out of BOA....download Raunch and Roll....best live aslbum ever....check it out.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alt rock, Rock, Classic Rock of course...

When it's time for some A E S T H E T I C it's Synthwave and Chillwave.

80's life.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ozark Mountain Daredevels ? No, Its Black Oak....How do you get OMD out of BOA....download Raunch and Roll....best live aslbum ever....check it out.

Ooops... LOL. Oh man. My excuse is that I was checking out a house today, and I guess half my mind was still thinking about what I'd seen.

Ozark Mountain... Arkansas... it's all the same place isn't it? Heh heh, sorry.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I all most always had the radio off. Even with the 2.5. LOL But love hearing the whine of the supercharger! Sweet music.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't listen to The Cult Outlaw or Pat Travers Statesboro Blues if the song in your head can drive your heel.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2019 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016

you want to hear so real high speed car songs do ya ? Then check out this group BLACK OAK ARKANSAS . With songs like Highway Pirate, Movin ,Leather Angel, and Hot Rod, these guys are downright hot and nasty ! matter of fact, that's a song by them too.
And if their drummer looks familiar, that's Tommy Aldridge, who went on to play with Pat Travers, Ozzy Osborne, and is now presently Whitesnakes drummer.
…..after that, I'd have to go with Highway Star also...

Wow. Hot Rod was one that came to mind. Didn't think anyone would remember that, or even understand it unless you grew up with it. Got to see them live in 1973 when I was 9. Not really proud of that though. Local guy said you gotta see this guy play with his hands. Saw Tommy in Whitesnake much later and then Ted Nugent once too at a smaller outdoor venue. I have his video I think. He called himself a "rock pig on pizza".

Shawn Lane played with BOA in the late 70s at 15 and 16 yrs old. Fastest guitarist you never heard of and did it with chronic arthritis. Jazz Fusion guy who influenced shred heroes like Buckethead and Paul Gilbert. You never know where skilled and top people will show up in bands. A technical god in BOA. Wow.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For mountain road driving, its got to be bluegrass!
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you like blues for driving try downloading some of Lobo Locos' stuff here: https://freemusicarchive.org/genre/Blues
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just re-listened to a great CAR song...."I'm in love with my Car"....Written and sung by Roger Taylor.......(Drummer for Queen- The engine sounds at the end are his Alfa)
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like to listen to " Louie, louie" sung in Polish or Lithuanian.. LOL
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

I like to listen to " Louie, louie" sung in Polish or Lithuanian.. LOL

The funny thing about that song...how can you tell the difference??

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are out on the road during a thunderstorm, try Dvorak's symphony #9, 'From the New World'......
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
80's hits (lots of 'one-hit-wonders) , but mostly The Cars
RIP Rick Ocasek
Skatulaki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm Greek so I like to jam to a lively Kalamatiano or a Sousta, and often a Syrto! OPA
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My choices depends on my mood of the day. I have a 64gig USB drive packed with 80's rock, metal, and one hit wonders plus some 90's and more current stuff. I am a true AC DC fan so it is usually my go to favorite tunes. I also have band friends who write and sing their own original tunes that I have added to my play list.

When ever I decide to "Angel Cruise" with my Dad it's Joe Bonamassa Blues music or some old school country music that my Dad liked.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock