Started on: 10-17-2019 02:33 PM
Replies: 5 (295 views)
Last post by: couldahadaV8 on 10-24-2019 07:24 PM
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2019 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone here a machinist?

I’m looking to buy a mill/lathe combo. My experience machining is rotors and flywheels many years ago as a mechanic. But I always have ideas of things that I could make with the right tool.

What are some things to look for on a used machine?
What’s the best way to verify it’s in good condition?

I’m looking at a Shopfox M1018 I found on FB marketplace.
This isn’t the first that I’ve seen and wondered about getting.

I’ll probably make small parts for my Fiero.
But I can also can see myself making boat stuff and even fishing lures.

Is it safe to assume a metal lathe can cut wood or plastic?
I just moved and have a much larger garage than I see to.
Thanks for any tips.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2019 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was a licensed machinist/toolmaker in a past life so I can help. Best to PM me- this is not really Fiero related..

Would suggest buying an older "real" machine tool that is used, as opposed to a new flimsy hobby machine. There are thousands of practically free manual mills and lathes out there. Woodworking lathes are different from ones that can cut steel. Not really interchangeable.

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 10-17-2019).]

FieroJonney

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2019 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a CNC machinist. If you really wanted you could build your own machine. Materials depend on what you want to cut. If your good with computers cnc is pretty cool.
I made a couple custom pieces for my car.
An emblem I keep on the glove box logo
And a sail panel emblem.
Both out of scrap aluminum billet.

Just for fun pieces!
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2019 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:
I’m looking to buy a mill/lathe combo.

I'd suspect that a combo machine would be neither a good mill nor a good lathe. Just a suspicion though, as I've never used a combo unit.

What are some things to look for on a used machine?

The machine itself should have no missing pieces.

Then, look for the tooling (cutting tools, chucks, measuring instruments, vise, etc) that comes with it. The more stuff that's included, the less you need to buy before making chips for a project.

Is it safe to assume a metal lathe can cut wood or plastic?

Plastic yes, I've done PVC, acetal, for sure some PE/PP on a metal lathe.

I made a wood paper-towel holder using a metal lathe, and the initial result wasn't so good. There was a lot of splintering. Probably some of that was due to not knowing how to cut tools for wood. I also think that typical wood-turning RPMs are higher than metal-turning RPMs. I ended up having to do a lot of sanding to get the paper towel holder OK.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anytime you are looking at machining equipment, determine:
What you want to accomplish (size of parts on the machine) - this will guide you to what size equipment you need. The size needs to hold the part, have room for the part clamps, and room for the cutting tool.
Machine capabilities you need: DRO, power feeds, articulating milling head, air chucks, quick change tool holders, rotary tables, vertical work holder, indexing head, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, live center, boring bar, etc.
Determine how much space you have not only for the equipment, but also for the tooling and fixtures.
Then buy used as you normally get more of the additional features and tooling for the same or less money.

Combo units have their purpose, but even the largest ones are still very limited to small parts. I have a 9 x 36 southbend lathe and a 3hp Vertical mill with 17x30+ bed travel, and often times run into the limits of these machines.

couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a combination machine that I've used for years and it is great. Don't listen to anyone that has not owned one; they all say they are crap. I've turned and milled fairly large parts with it and also very small, precision parts. I have what is the equivalent of the Grizzly G9729. Yes, there are some compromises when switching from lathe operation to milling, but it also has advantages. How about a swing large enough to clean up brake drums? I put a Fiero windshield washer motor on the lead screw and can use it for power feed while milling; a lot of more deluxe machines don't have that feature! I also added a DRO to it and that has the advantage of adding it to the lathe and mill. So for me it is a fantastic machine. Professionals don't like hobby machines but keep in mind you will be using it for a hobby, not to make a living.

Rick

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock