Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My long awaited 3.8 turbo swap begins (pic heavy)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
My long awaited 3.8 turbo swap begins (pic heavy) by oldrock2401
Started on: 10-04-2019 05:52 PM
Replies: 14 (565 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 12-31-2019 11:06 AM
oldrock2401

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To get things started.....

I have been a semi-long time member (mostly a lurker, I even had the account before I had a fiero hehe). I originally got this car in high school with big dreams that somehow never seemed to develop. That was 11 years ago, and here I am, finally building my dream car. The car has ran and drove perfectly fine since the day I bought it. I drove it a lot in h.s., but as life got busy, it got driven less and less. But, through many years of working to achieve this, I have the means to support this build up to my expectations. I have spent many, many, many hours drooling over some of the products and builds this forum has produced, I would like to think this build will turn out to be one of the cars I have long lusted after. I have compiled a few pictures from when I first got the motor/trans home (which was last summer) and how she sits now, a couple pictures of the car itself, when I first got it (with silver ground effects), and as it sits currently (with matte black ground effects). Some of my pretty parts that have been powdercoated has also been thrown in there.

Of course its going to be another 3800 swap haha. The ultimate goal is to have a show worthy car that can also prove itself on the track.

Engine/Trans is out of a 2000 Regal with 80k miles. This car is currently an auto, and will stay that way until the 4t65ehd lets go. After that happens, I have a 35k mile f23 that will be taking its place.

Engine consists of.....

- L67
- Comp cams 136# valve springs
- LS7 Lifters
- ZZP modified retainers
- Roller master, double roller timing chain, chamfered crank gear
- ARP Head studs
- L26 upper/lower manifold
- Northstar throttle body
- Stattama st2 turbo cam
- James’s mounts and harness

Turbo setup consists of....

- Stock manifolds with an a t4 flange
- Borg Warner s366, I had agp make a .68 turbine for me, but also have the .88 undivided the turbo came with. I will probably use the .68 in the beginning and see what happens.
- Frozen boost type 25 w/a intercooler
- 03-04 Terminator heat exchanger
- VSR 44mm wastegate (taken apart, cleaned, and lapped)
- Tial 55mm bov

Fuel setup consists of.....
- Dual Kemso 340 fuel pump (may ditch these and go single walbro 450)
- Fuel Injector Connection 95lb/1000cc
- Aeromotive fuel rails
- Corn fed

Trans consists of....lololol....I know, I know
- Hardened 4th hub, gemini gxp chain
- Hopes and dreams (I will be kinda gentle)

Brakes consist of...
- Front- 13” front c5/6 calipers and rotors
- Rear- 12” rear c4 rotors and 88 fiero front/rear calipers
- Using Brians adapters

I have yet to decide on what maf route I am going, seems to be a lot of back and forth on all the different options. Also, have yet to decide what fuel regulator I am going to use.

This will probably come together fairly slow, depending on my work schedule. But most of the hard part is done, buying everything lol. If anyone has any comments or question, please feel free. Any help, pointers, or advice, I would gladly take.

I also appoligize for the long thread, I’m pretty excited that I actually get to do a build log haha.

Hopefully all these pictures work and aren't crazy big, if they are, sorry lol

------------------
--- 86 GT, my pride and joy (currently undergoing turbo 3.8 swap)

[This message has been edited by oldrock2401 (edited 11-17-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
watching

Cool paint scheme on the intake and turbo.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 10-04-2019).]

oldrock2401

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The valve covers will also be that color, called "city lights", its a color from prismatic powders.
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good so far!

Do you have any more details on the brakes? What are Brian's adapters? I currently have c4 rotors and calipers on the back of my car and the c4 rear calipers aren't very good, I would like to switch to the 88 fronts.
oldrock2401

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my research, the 88 calipers are actually bigger than the c4 rears. Which is why I went that route. What kind of question do you have about the adapters? Brian is sluppy123 here on the forum.

[This message has been edited by oldrock2401 (edited 10-08-2019).]

Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldrock2401:

From my research, the 88 calipers are actually bigger than the c4 rears. Which is why I went that route. What kind of question do you have about the adapters? Brian is sluppy123 here on the forum.

I was just wondering who brian was, I'll get in contact with him. Thanks!
oldrock2401

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem, good guy, great product, and great support.

------------------

oldrock2401

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Work has been kind of hectic so progress isn't moving as I want, but....

I got my front brake kit on, unfortunately my 17s that are currently on the car do not clear the calipers
Luckily a friend had the same set of wheels as I have, only in 18s that he no longer wanted, so I got the tires taken off them and will be taking them in here soon to be powder coated.

And I also got my valve covers back from powder coat

Edit: Found a new image hosting site, so hopefully the pictures from here on out stay clear and without any watermarks.

Skatulaki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2019 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow I like the look of the valve covers, you said they were powder coated? Are these the original plastic ones? I have a 3.8 that I want to change the ugly beige colored plastic valve covers to red, I've been hunting for metal valve covers but can't find any, the plastic ones can be powder coated?
Skatulaki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2019 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skatulaki

82 posts
Member since Nov 2019
I also noticed a supercharger on your bottom shelf, did the 3.8 you have come with it? and why did you elect to go from supercharger to turbo?
oldrock2401

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2019 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, they are zzp's aluminum covers though. Not the stock plastic.

It is a supercharged motor, but the supercharger won't support my power goals. Sc bottom end is stronger, hence why I'm using it.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Skatulaki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2019 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkatulakiSend a Private Message to SkatulakiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh that explains the same look on the intake, I had to scroll back and see that it has the L26 Intake. I have an 02 Dale Earnhardt Monte that before I got it had a backfire explosion that blew the plastic intake to shreds, I was debating going with the L 26 but I couldn't find metal valve covers to have both powder coated red ( I'm trying to stick with the Black/Silver/Red paint scheme ) so I went with replacing it with original equipment. I just today picked up a 84 Fiero Indy thats pretty trashed, so between the two, I'll have enough to do to keep from being bored! :-)
oldrock2401

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got around to getting the studs and heads on, set the intake and valve covers on to see what the powdercoat was going to look like together, and I love it.

------------------

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lurking for 12yrs is pretty good.

Nice build, looking forward to more updates.

Also, you can post pics directly on the site now (upload image button on bottom left of text window).

Bob
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2019 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your build ought to be quite interesting to watch. I did something similar a few years ago with a 3.4 turbo and liked the result. However, the cash spent on it could have been better used on a different engine IMO so it was the last one I did like this.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock