Quickjack by nero
Started on: 09-30-2019 09:25 PM
Replies: 26 (1156 views)
Last post by: LFiero67 on 11-03-2019 10:34 PM
nero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2019 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, so I only found one old post on this which did not appear that anyone had used this type of Jack for working on their Fiero. Just wonder if anyone has since started using a Qucikjack (https://www.quickjack.com/) to work on their Fiero. I plan on working on it over the winter and wonderig if anyone has any input on using these. My garage ceiling height it not high enough for a regular 2 post lift and my concrete is not thick enough for one either.

Thanks,
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it would be good for a car with a frame or unibody. May work well on a Fiero coupe or Formula but I would be concerned about using it on a GT or other Fiero with aero rocker panels unless you made sure the jack was lifting on the frame.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine purchased the Quickjack and he likes it. He said that it works well but it cost $1500 (HD version) and that is what I paid for my used two post Rotary lift that is far superior.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't work under a car using that device unless it was supported with jackstands.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had one for two years and have used it hundreds of times with no issues and I absolutely love it. I have a single car garage with a rather thin floor so a 2 or 4 post lift were out of the question. The quickjack obviously doesnt get you the height that an actual lift does but I've dropped my transmission and subframe out of the bottom of my RX-8 with no issues. It lifts a car up a little more than the maximum height that one could get on jackstands.

One advantage that the quickjack has over traditional lifts is its portability. I regularly use it out in my driveway in nice weather where I have more space. I have loaded it into my STI and let people use it at track days and autocrosses where it is always appreciated.

As far as safety, I have had my 2014 Ford PI Utility up on it and it lifted it without a second thought. I have shaken my cars when up in the air and there isn't much movement. The quickjack has its own mechanical locks and they do the job just fine but if I know I am going to spend extra time under the car doing work, I throw jackstands under the quickjack pivots for an extra mechanical lock.

------------------
'16 STI-Daily-COBB Stage-2 tune and DP
'04 Mazda RX8 SCCA STX Solo prepped
My former Fiero- '88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold)
GM Tuners

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, I agree that there are better alternatives.....if you have the space. I have a Trans Am and a Fiero in basically a 2 car garage, (its a garage in a garage, front part for the daily drivers, back part for the seasonal drivers with a garage door between the two spaces), so a small footprint and portability is key for me. As for not getting under it without jackstands, I have heard this comment about them before which I do not really understand. The foortprint and structure of these are so much better / stronger than a set of jackstands, but that is just my opinion. Anytime I am under a car regargless of if I am just using jackstands I always have some type of back up to give me time to roll out if a failure happens.

AkursedX, did you get a chance to try it out with your Fiero before you sold it? Just wondering on how it would work with the staggared lift points between the front and back.

Thanks

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you thought about a 4-post parking lift? I have one that works pretty well fo storing my 2 GTs one over the other plus I get plenty of clearance to work under the cars without strain. Also you can adjust the height of the lift. Makes it easy to do brakes or wheel bearings when they are at waist or chest high. Look for a Peak Model 408 or 409. I have the 409HP. It's 9000 pound capacity and a 6.5 foot lift. The 408 and 409 are rated about 1000 pounds less and only lift 5'-10".

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike in Sydney

657 posts
Member since Sep 2011
Have you thought about a 4-post parking lift? I have one that works pretty well fo storing my 2 GTs one over the other plus I get plenty of clearance to work under the cars without strain. Also you can adjust the height of the lift. Makes it easy to do brakes or wheel bearings when they are at waist or chest high. Look for a Peak Model 408 or 409. I have the 409HP. It's 9000 pound capacity and a 6.5 foot lift. The 408 and 409 are rated about 1000 pounds less and only lift 5'-10".

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Looks like it would be good for a car with a frame or unibody. May work well on a Fiero coupe or Formula but I would be concerned about using it on a GT or other Fiero with aero rocker panels unless you made sure the jack was lifting on the frame.

My friend with the Quickjack says that it works on some cars, doesn't work on others. IMO, it might work on a Fiero but the jack points are not inline from front to back and you need to be very careful around the cooling pipes. With my 2 post lift the jack points are the sides/front of the rear cradle and the integral frame channel near the front. I have doubts that the Quickjack would work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

My friend with the Quickjack says that it works on some cars, doesn't work on others. IMO, it might work on a Fiero but the jack points are not inline from front to back and you need to be very careful around the cooling pipes. With my 2 post lift the jack points are the sides/front of the rear cradle and the integral frame channel near the front. I have doubts that the Quickjack would work.

Ya, those were my concerns as well with the Quickjack and the Fiero, the offset lift points along with the coolant tubes do not look like they would work for the Fiero. I may pick up one anyhow. It shoud work on the other cars that I have. I will settle for the jackstands for the Fiero for now.

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 10-03-2019).]

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nero

72 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Hmm, no I have not. I will check that option out. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4 post is good but lifts up under the tires. Might not be able to accommodate a brake job or suspension work

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 4-post lift hast a jacking tray. It sits between the wheel ramps and supports the jack. I can use my floor jack, bottle jacks, scissor jacks or jack stands. The tray is movable so positioning is a breeze.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the feedback. As much as I would like the 4 post lift, its not going to work with setup I have. The back part of the garage has a single garage door which I leave closed for the winter so parking under it basically means I can't work on the one on the top as I would need to position it near the center of the garage. So I am settling for the Quickjack, knowing its probably not going to work on the Fiero but it will work for the other cars I have.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nero, no I have not put a Fiero up on mine. If you haven't seen this, I did find a video of a Fiero up on a Quickjack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBj0QIzXOg&t=83s

It's tough to say exactly where he put this up on though. I mainly use the small lift blocks with 4 slotted floor jack pads on top of them and then lift on the rocker panel seam that most cars have (The slots where you insert a scissor jack).

------------------
'16 STI-Daily-COBB Stage-2 tune and DP
'04 Mazda RX8 SCCA STX Solo prepped
My former Fiero- '88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold)
GM Tuners

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been really thinking about this one...
https://www.mytoolequipment...KEAQYBCABEgLY7PD_BwE

Our 2 car garage is pretty snug side to side and the Fiero and Sara's Murano will fit, but there is only about 30" between the two in the center and no room for any post from a dual or 4 post lift.

With this single post setup, there is room along the wall for it and I could change how the car is loaded based on which side or end I needed to work on.
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

Nero, no I have not put a Fiero up on mine. If you haven't seen this, I did find a video of a Fiero up on a Quickjack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBj0QIzXOg&t=83s

It's tough to say exactly where he put this up on though. I mainly use the small lift blocks with 4 slotted floor jack pads on top of them and then lift on the rocker panel seam that most cars have (The slots where you insert a scissor jack).

Thanks AkursedX, yes I did see this one, to me it looks like the proper lift points were not being used in that video based on how the jacks are placed.

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So for anyone that is interested, I did end up buying a Quickjack. I bought the largest and longest model they had as I wanted to use it on some other things larger than the Fiero but it does work on the Fiero as well. Here are a few pics of it up on the Quickjack. They are expensive for what they are but makes it easier to get the car up off the 4 wheels and provide about 4-5 inches more height than I can get with my jackstands. Does not sound like alot but I find it makes a big difference. Also I can pretty much get at everything I need to because of where the lift points are. So I do not regret getting them, but the price vs the total functionality of the Quickjack is questionable. But if you do not have any other options due to space, these work out pretty good.

Side view. I put some jack stands under as well stacked on some plywood just for added security.

Front Lift Point

Rear Liftpoint

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I have been really thinking about this one...
https://www.mytoolequipment...KEAQYBCABEgLY7PD_BwE

Our 2 car garage is pretty snug side to side and the Fiero and Sara's Murano will fit, but there is only about 30" between the two in the center and no room for any post from a dual or 4 post lift.

With this single post setup, there is room along the wall for it and I could change how the car is loaded based on which side or end I needed to work on.

I believe that single post lift MUST be permanently affixed to the floor. It would probably work mounted on a 6" concrete floor but I have my doubts on its stability mounted to a 4" concrete floor. The scissors lift is probably the most stable lift for those with limited space and you can park over it.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I believe that single post lift MUST be permanently affixed to the floor. It would probably work mounted on a 6" concrete floor but I have my doubts on its stability mounted to a 4" concrete floor. The scissors lift is probably the most stable lift for those with limited space and you can park over it.

That lift is designed to be permanently anchored to the floor. The anchor base is much wider than a traditional lift to better spread out the loads.

There are other ones similar to it that are completely portable (basically mounted on a pallet jack type structure).

PFF
System Bot
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nero,

Any chance you could position it forward at all? So the back lifted in front of the cradle, on the pads the cradle mount tabs come from? With the lift point you have, the cradle can’t be removed, which is the only reason I would want the lift anyway.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

------------------
10.007 @ 135.54MPH. <-- Video
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 138.82
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 11-01-2019).]

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut 4' x 4' holes out of my 4" slab at my home shop for my posts and 5' deep with fiber reinforced concrete and rebar with anchor bolts.
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike,
Quick question, I'm currently looking at a house with 9' ceilings in the garage. I was wondering f I got a parking lift like you have if I would have enough room to lift my notchie and park my GT underneath it? In other words how tall is it with the car on top and enough room underneath for the other car?

TIA,

Dan

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be tight but you could do it IF you take off the radio aerial. Allowing 48-inches for each car and 6-inches for the lift beams and parking platform you get 102-inches. A 9-ft ceiling is 108-inches. Tight, but doable if the lights aren't in the way. MEASURE. MEASURE. MEASURE.

The clearance depends on the model. I have a Peak 409HP. It's rate for 9000-lbs (4000-kg) That's more than enough to lift the wife's 4wd Ranger or my Isuzu Trooper. It has about 85" of clear lift in 6-inch increments. I'm 6-ft and I can walk under it without. I can park the trooper under it if I'm careful about pulling into the garage. Otherwise I'd probably snag the luggage rack. I usually keep the Silver GT on the lift and one of the other vehicles in the fleet under. The lift came with drip pans so the Fiero can still mark it's territory if it wants to attachable dolly wheels so you can relocate it easily, and a jacking beam that can accommodate a bottle jack, scissor jack or my floor jack.

Peak makes a model 408H and a model 409H. Both lift about 73-inches high but there is only about 70-inches clear. They are rated for 8000 and 9000 pounds, respectively. Look at this link http://www.peaklift.cn/cpzx...spx?itemid=228&lcid=

This is a made in China product. I'm not a Peak salesman and to tell the truth if I could have found something from Australia or the US competitively priced I would have purchased it. Still, for what I use it for, it fits my needs pretty well . In fact I'm seriously thinking about a Model 408 for the Black GT.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 11-03-2019).]

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

Nero,

Any chance you could position it forward at all? So the back lifted in front of the cradle, on the pads the cradle mount tabs come from? With the lift point you have, the cradle can’t be removed, which is the only reason I would want the lift anyway.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi LFiero67, it can slide forward quite a bit as the 'tray' where the lift block goes provides quite a bit of space for adjustment. It would be iffy for it to work with the model I have as it is the longest version, not sure if it would clear. The shorter version should work from what I can tell. However, not sure how good these would be for dropping the cradle as they give you 4-5 more inches of clearance than 'standard' jack stands. I rate these as 'nice to have' as they have their limitations.

LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, I currently drop the cradle and then transmission out the bottom on jack stands, so even 4-5 “ would be a nice gain. I figured if I could get the car up, then put it on stands, then put larger blocks in, and lift again, it should be possible to get the car up a fair bit.

Might have to pick one up next time Costco has them.

Thanks again.

------------------
10.007 @ 135.54MPH. <-- Video
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 138.82
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock