Started on: 07-22-2019 04:07 PM
Replies: 7 (516 views)
Last post by: ChuckR on 07-24-2019 09:40 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, this was my daily driver 3.4 Formula with Camaro pistons, not my "other" 3.4 87GT yada yada yada.
Gawd 88's have soooo much under-steer. I'm sure my stock 15x7's moved to the front didn't help much... I did get those 17x9 255/50/17 Nitto NT01's to launch though...
It's still about 2.5 seconds slower than my actual race car.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ChuckR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering, I have noticed this before. These Fieros have a lot of front end lift under acceleration. Is there anything you can do to counter that? Stiffer rear springs maybe?

[This message has been edited by ChuckR (edited 07-22-2019).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckR:
Just wondering, I have noticed this before. These Fieros have a lot of front end lift under acceleration. Is there anything you can do to counter that? Stiffer rear springs maybe?

Well, replacing my blown front shocks would help.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You lost to a Mustang??!!! Damn, I'm selling all my Fieros.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have an 88 rear suspension, you could possibly move the frame mounting point UP a bit to help get rid of acceleration "Squat" ....They did this with Firebirds back in the 70s.....the regular Birds had the front eye for the leaf spring mounted lower, and the TA had it mounted higher. A good welder should be able to weld it up at least an inch or so higher.

I use the small amount of dive and squat to vary the strength of my front and rear stabilizer bars- Throttle off, the front bar is stiffer and the rear softer for more understeer, and during accel' the front bar is softer and the rear stiffer to back off the (Typical) mid-engined throttle-on understeer....
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
You lost to a Mustang??!!! Damn, I'm selling all my Fieros.

LOL! That Mustang has won 1st place before. It's supercharged, but I digress. My other Fiero did beat him quite easily in the past. This one is more of a daily driver. Even the A/C works!
Also, people are adding tri-link rear suspensions to older Mustangs now. See the red one that made it to the quarter finals...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 07-23-2019).]

Greg Z2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2019 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Z2Send a Private Message to Greg Z2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was awesome. Wish they had that here in AZ. I love Fieros, but I knew the 4G63 was gonna come out on top. Those are beast. Then the AWD winning Doughnuts was lit.

------------------
88 Fiero GT LS4/4T65, Indy 500 4sp x 2, 91 Cappuccino, 92 Sera, 92 Lumina Z34 5SP, 88 300ZX 5SP, 85 Vette Z51 LS1 ZF6SP, 02 LS430, 04 Beetle Vert, 17 High Country 6.2L

ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2019 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you have an 88 rear suspension, you could possibly move the frame mounting point UP a bit to help get rid of acceleration "Squat"

I have an 88 so that is a plus for me. I plan to track day this car on occasion. Since i just got the car I am learning about it, and seeing the under-steer on these videos is making me think there is something needed to get the front to stay better planted. I am thinking of doing a battery relocation to move that extra 50 pounds up front and getting poly bushings all the way around with a refresh (31 year old rubber isnt good..). I am sure there are some front aero kits out there somewhere to help as well. I am just seeing what other more experienced people have done to combat this.

That said, I dont even know if the ones I have seen in videos are 88's or not and that will make a difference since all different suspension anyway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock