Motor Trend: What the new Corvette needs to learn from Fieros by CJB118
Started on: 07-05-2019 09:09 AM
Replies: 20 (883 views)
Last post by: edfiero on 07-23-2019 08:41 AM
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ARTICLE
If the Corvette is about to jump the shark, this article will be remembered as an accurate prediction. Corporations seem to dither great products over the cliff, letting their internal bickering drag the product image around until the accountants panic, and the buyers give up and move on. If it happens to the Corvette, because GM ignores the lessons of the Fiero, should we laugh or cry?

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (DD)
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix L26 (Wife's DD)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO, Scott Evans (the article's author), nails it.
I have a display board I show with my Formula that includes a chart of the annual sales.
When people talk about why GM stopped making Fieros, I show them the annual sales chart & remind them that the accountants make the final decisions.
It's a moot point anyway, lol, considering the number of Pontiacs being built now...

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 07-05-2019).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest advantage the new Vette has is there is no "800 lb gorilla in the Room"........It wasn't just that the accountants didn't want to spend money on "A sportscar"....It was "Hey, we already have one sportscar- why do we need another?"

I wanted to see a mid-engine Vette back in the early 70s......But now, I realize that the Vette should reference it's history- it's beating every other sportscar in the world as a FRONT-engine- Why does it "Have to go mid-engine to stay competitive"?

The C7 basically spit on Corvette rear styling history- it would kind of be like Porsche giving the new 911 slit headlights and a flat vertical rear window.....and then making it front engine.

Just my opinion....And in twenty years noone will be allowed to operate a vehicle on public roads........
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, I'd buy one, rip out the drivetrain, transplant it into the Fiero since GM did all the engineering, and shitcan the rest of the Vette.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Honestly, I'd buy one, rip out the drivetrain, transplant it into the Fiero since GM did all the engineering, and shitcan the rest of the Vette.

X2! I've already got my plate picked out "8 A C8" lol
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well what the story leaves out is the history of the Chevy and Corvette people using GM management to kill the Fiero.

Pontiac, GM and Chevy all played a roll here not just the Fires, not just the bean counters etc.

It is confirmed the Corvette people pointed out the issues on the Fiero, one being the under capacity at the Fiero plant as a way to kill the car for fear of losing sales to the Fiero.

What many fail to understand is. Or Vette sales were dropping and GM was looking to cut cost. The GT with more power at a lower price worried them. Note too the Corvette was canceled a couple years after the Fiero but the program manager ignored them and kept the C5 on schedule. It saved the car but cost him his future st GM.

Why was the Fiero plant under capacity? Because the GM 80 program was canceled. It was the FWD F body. It was to have fillmout capacity. Once canceled there was nothing to move into the plant.

Pontiac was desperate and needed to use this plant and to keep it financially stable over sold the Fiero the first few years. The two seat market has only so many buyers and the numbers they sold were way over what they should have done. You want to limit sports car sales to where you make money but you still have buyers. For the next year.

GM should have stepped in and worked things out between Chevy and Pontiac but they took Chevys side. As the Fiero team member told me Chevy sold more cars so Chevy got more say with GM.

So no matter how you spin this all parties created the perfect storm for the cars failure.

As for the new car I think yourself find it will drive circles around our car. The added technology and engineering learned over the last near 40 years will deliver a street car that will give you performance that would lap many race cars of the Fiero era.

The best thing to do is just enjoy the C8 and be proud that they finally will build a mid engine right with proper funding and support.

To be honest this may shine a more positive light and attention on our cars and may actually make it cool again in the public domain to buy a Fiero. This will drive up our values with increased interest. It should only benefit us.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Must be nice being a multi-billionaire with money to burn.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Well what the story leaves out is the history of the Chevy and Corvette people using GM management to kill the Fiero.

Pontiac, GM and Chevy all played a roll here not just the Fires, not just the bean counters etc.

It is confirmed the Corvette people pointed out the issues on the Fiero, one being the under capacity at the Fiero plant as a way to kill the car for fear of losing sales to the Fiero.

What many fail to understand is. Or Vette sales were dropping and GM was looking to cut cost. The GT with more power at a lower price worried them. Note too the Corvette was canceled a couple years after the Fiero but the program manager ignored them and kept the C5 on schedule. It saved the car but cost him his future st GM.

Why was the Fiero plant under capacity? Because the GM 80 program was canceled. It was the FWD F body. It was to have fillmout capacity. Once canceled there was nothing to move into the plant.

Pontiac was desperate and needed to use this plant and to keep it financially stable over sold the Fiero the first few years. The two seat market has only so many buyers and the numbers they sold were way over what they should have done. You want to limit sports car sales to where you make money but you still have buyers. For the next year.

GM should have stepped in and worked things out between Chevy and Pontiac but they took Chevys side. As the Fiero team member told me Chevy sold more cars so Chevy got more say with GM.

So no matter how you spin this all parties created the perfect storm for the cars failure.

As for the new car I think yourself find it will drive circles around our car. The added technology and engineering learned over the last near 40 years will deliver a street car that will give you performance that would lap many race cars of the Fiero era.

The best thing to do is just enjoy the C8 and be proud that they finally will build a mid engine right with proper funding and support.

To be honest this may shine a more positive light and attention on our cars and may actually make it cool again in the public domain to buy a Fiero. This will drive up our values with increased interest. It should only benefit us.

Well said.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The really sad thing is that the Vette was above the Fiero market.......Noone would cross-shop the two, with the Vette at $35,000 and the Fiero at $13,000.....The Vette would compete with the upper, "turbo" RX7 and 300ZX, while the Fiero V6 would be competitive with the base NA RX7 and 300ZX.

There is room for a high-end sports car and low-cost bargain sports car........
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

The really sad thing is that the Vette was above the Fiero market.......Noone would cross-shop the two, with the Vette at $35,000 and the Fiero at $13,000.....The Vette would compete with the upper, "turbo" RX7 and 300ZX, while the Fiero V6 would be competitive with the base NA RX7 and 300ZX.

There is room for a high-end sports car and low-cost bargain sports car........

The fear I feel was legit as the Vette was over $30k in 88 but the GT was around $18k. I expect the 1990 GT would have come in over $20k with about 230 hp and less weight and lower price. While it would not rob all the Vette sales the Vette could at that time not afford to lose any sales.

The Fiero was transforming to a true sports car that could have gone more up scale.

RX7 and 8, 240, 280, 300 All lived short lives, the MR2 died twice etc. few live 10 years or more.

The other issue is the Fiero may not have lived more than a few more years anyways. 2 seat Sports cars generally have short lives. The Miata and Corvettes are rare models that have survived. They survived with maintains demand while most MFGs fill demand for a model in 5-10 years. Even the Solstice and Sky sales were sinking fast by the time they were killed. Had Oontiac survived I believe the Solstice would have died anyways.

Building a low cost sports car is one of the toughest vehicles to build long term and to continue to build a business case for.

The Corvette has reached an Icon status few vehicles ever reach. It used to be a good performance car for the money but today it is now just a good performance car no matter the money. That is a key point as demand for performance is in decline today.

The bottom line is GM failed to manage their divisions back then and they were their own worth enemies. Imagine if GM had managed Chevy and Pontiac as complimentary divisons vs competing divisions and how they could have attracted the marketplace as one force vs two groups that ended up hurting each other as much or more than competitors.

One thing many forget is the mid engine Corvette idea is what lead to the Fiero mid engine.

The folks at the tech center proposed a V6 Corvette to Chevy and the Corvette team in the late 70’s. The Corvette people rejected the idea. But Hulki was wanting to lower the cowl and saw this proposal as a way to lower the cowl.

There were V8 versions of this and I have a couple drawings of the space frame Vette with a transverse 454. It has a very familiar look to what we got.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2019 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good one Charlie!
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got plates for mine saying "NOT A C8". Only a few people get it now, but I think that'll increase over time.

And I take great pleasure in parking next to Vettes any chance I get

-- A
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kept saying if somehow I won the lottery and got a C8, I'd get a plate that said NUFIERO
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2019 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Much more info and pictures on Topgear . The new corvette is going to be sold worldwide, even available in right hand drive.
https://www.topgear.com/car...ill-cost-under-60000
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2019 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RHD? At last we can get a proper car not "converted" to RHD, which always has it's problems. I may buy a C8 if I can convince the wife. LoL. It would look sweet in the garage between my two LHD '86 GTs.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2019 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The C8 is amazing. Better in every way and the base price will be nearly th3 same.

0-60 in less than 3 seconds. Base price under $60k.

The cool thing is the new car is faster than the Z06 even with less power.

GM looks like 5hey did not short cut there way out here. The new car will add DOHC and Turbos in the future as well as AWD.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2019 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I liked the C6 Z06 because it was stone simple....and it had 427 cubes....It was a finger in the eye of all the buzz-bomb and turbo engined cars......And it could get 30 mpg on the highway! Later editions have been faster- but they are more complicated. Take a C6 Z06 and add carbon-fiber wheels and the latest tires, then tweak the engine a bit to get 600 hp (NA) and the car will probably lap right with a C7 Z06........(C6 Z06 weight= 3200, C7 Z06= 3600)

My first thought with making or modifying things is K.I.S.S........"Keep it simple, stupid!" Sadly, almost noone these days could SPELL that, let alone understand it.....(How many computers does a new car have? 3-5...maybe even TEN!) Now you just need one letter....."S"......."STUPID"!!!
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I liked the C6 Z06 because it was stone simple....and it had 427 cubes....It was a finger in the eye of all the buzz-bomb and turbo engined cars......And it could get 30 mpg on the highway! Later editions have been faster- but they are more complicated. Take a C6 Z06 and add carbon-fiber wheels and the latest tires, then tweak the engine a bit to get 600 hp (NA) and the car will probably lap right with a C7 Z06........(C6 Z06 weight= 3200, C7 Z06= 3600)

My first thought with making or modifying things is K.I.S.S........"Keep it simple, stupid!" Sadly, almost noone these days could SPELL that, let alone understand it.....(How many computers does a new car have? 3-5...maybe even TEN!) Now you just need one letter....."S"......."STUPID"!!!

I have no problem with a more technonogically advenced car. I do have to wonder how GM gets anything done with bean counters putting their fingers into every aspect of building a car. It would be great if a car company would follow the example of the old Bell System when it comes to innovation. After WW2 Bell Labs was in it's glory days. They hired the best scientists and engineers available and paid them to do whatever they wanted . that freedom to innovate was key to the USA becoming the technological powerhouse it was back then.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone always blames the bean counters. But really, if they were so all seeing and powerful, a car like the Corvette would not even get built. The market today is for SUV's and pickup trucks. The money spent developing the new Corvette would produce more return by using it to create an SUV that could compete with the Rav4, CRV and Ford Escape. All of these sell in much higher volume than the Corvette ever will.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2019 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I couldn't agree more. BMW for example, makes things needlessly over complex. Example, removing the oil dipstick and instead using an electronic monitor. Cracking the window every time you open the door automatically.
Every new piece of technology is just another potential point of failure.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock