Uhaul trailer by Lilchief
Started on: 07-01-2019 03:30 PM
Replies: 22 (1091 views)
Last post by: kmartyman on 08-07-2019 02:22 PM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever used a uhaul car hauling trailer to move a fiero ? Thanks Rick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure it has good "safe" tires prior to them hooking it up to your vehicle. Because they never do.
BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did when I bought mine. Was worried the engine being toward the rear of the trailer would make it so there wasn't enough tongue weight but the wheelbase being so small the engine was almost over the trailer wheels and it was stable doing 65 on the highway. It was a 4 cylinder car though fyi.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. I heard/read somewhere that uhaul would not let you haul a fiero because it sat too low. Just getting other people's opinions. Thanks
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dragged a wrecked one back here on a U-Haul trailer. Loaded nose first. Couldn't even tell it was back there, using an F150 tow vehicle.
If it hadn't been wrecked, it probably wouldn't have even bottomed out when we drove it onto the trailer.

I didn't tell them I was dragging a Fiero, however. (Thought that was just a "dolly" thing, anyway.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-01-2019).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT does drag, if using just the ramps on a flat surface.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2019 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Their trailers are pig heavy too. So keep that in mind.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used one and didnt have any problems. Went nose first. They are heavy trailers but still nice to tow.
Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just used one last weekend actually... I lost one of the 4 tires on my way home and didn’t even know it happened LOL! So even with 3 wheels it made the trip fine. The kicker to this story is that I purchased the basic insurance for $8 and it does NOT cover the tires, but it does cover trailer damage.. silly U-Haul policy.

-Crasian
robymon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2019 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robymonSend a Private Message to robymonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that their trailers are quite heavy, though the surge brakes are dependable enough.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2019 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is often the dolly they won't rent for towing a Fiero.
Tow the car Front way, the weight is wrong for Fiero.
Tow backwards to "Fix" weight dist but has legal problems in many places to completely illegal and cops can stop you plus many renters do not lock front axle and causes a lot of problems.
So U-hual deny this.

Yes, All U-hual flat trailers are very heavy to survive abuse by renters. That "little" car hauler trailer empty is over 2200lb.
Because of this... Empty trailers exceeds many Tow Vehicle's trailer limits. Even just stand on the trailer put's a lot of others over limit.
You want a trunk that's allows 5000+ pounds to haul a Fiero.

While a bit rare for vehicles basic tags, Cops can stop and weigh any vehicle and give big fines and even make you stop until you find a way to unload the weight, find bigger tow for weight, etc.
If cops stop you for overweight, they go by factory limits publish by vehicle maker and Will Ignore you at best for having aftermarket springs and so on. For many trucks/SUV is on the State Registry papers you get and cops can easily see when they "run your tag."

Lying to U-hual or any rental place can cause legal problems too. More so if you crash and car and rental insurance refuses to pay, cop even arrested you, because of Fraud etc.

If you tow anything or otherwise over weight limit on the tag in the door area and break the vehicle... You can find the warranty is now void even w/o above legal issues.

Side note: For most Cars and small SUV: In very short... GVWR is based on a car w/ "Standard Adult" ~ 170# in each seat + 100# in the back. Most of them can't tow anything or not much w/ max 100# tongue weight and 1000# draw weight. And you pick The 100# tongue weight Or 100# cargo allowed in the trunk. Heavy people in the car then likely the car is overweight w/ nothing in the trunk.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah...what Ogre said.

Uhaul asks what kind of car you are towing. When you select Fiero they wont rent the dolly to you.
However you tell them you are towing a Chevy Cavalier or Citation then no problem. Pick up the dolly, and load up your Fiero.
FastOwen2XLL

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastOwen2XLLSend a Private Message to FastOwen2XLLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just rented a U-Haul trailer a couple weekends ago for the 6 hour trip from my home to the Carlisle Chevrolet/GM Nationals show. Told them exactly what I was towing and what I was towing with. Zero issues. The U-Haul dealer didn't look at my vehicle twice.

'85 GT on RD 1" lowering ball joints and coilovers. 17" wheels. Didn't scrape or rub loading or unloading. Loaded nose first. (The short wb of the Fiero put the rear wheels right over the tandem axles). Door even cleared the fold down fender.

Towed with '08 Chrysler Aspen w/ factory tow package. (8700# tow capacity, Class IV hitch, pre-wired for trailer brakes, trans cooler bigger than some 4cyl cars' radiators. Factory trailer sway control (never swayed once). Encountered heavy rains, driving in the dark in heavy traffic/construction/rough roads. Pulled great. Zero issues. Had to cinch down the wheel straps 1 click the first couple of stops, that's it. I added a 3000# capacity ratchet strap thru the rear cradle in addition to the safety chain.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, towed a Fiero from northern Michigan to New Jersey once, they asked what car was being towed and what the tow vehicle was. This combination worked great, 3/4 ton van

seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no problems renting the trailer with uhaul other than availability. I had to drive to the other side of the city for both pickup and dropoff. No problems loading. The fender on the driver's side tilts over, allowing enough room to open the door (at least on stock suspension). Tilt it before you drive on

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a U Haul trailer to retrieve a Mera from Charlotte and drove it to Hunstville, AL for a new engine. The vehicle was loaded nose first and did drag a bit when loading and unloading but no real damage to the car. I used the same type of trailer to get another Mera from Orlando to Columbia, SC. The car/trailer combo handled decently when using a an Expedition as a tow vehicle and I would use it again if I has not purchased my own tilt bed car trailer.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 07-03-2019).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had my Ford F150, I towed two Fieros home that I purchased from out of state using a U-Haul trailer. Put them in head first and locked them down with the straps. Probably went 250 miles on each trip. It was no problem but with that heavy trailer you need a truck and a class three hitch with a hookup for the lights. If you do this make sure that you also have a hitch ball capable of towing 6000 lbs.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Yep, towed a Fiero from northern Michigan to New Jersey once, they asked what car was being towed and what the tow vehicle was. This combination worked great, 3/4 ton van

Just so everyone gets the difference..... a uHaul TRAILER is not a problem. (Where the entire car sits on the trailer)
They will not rent a Dolly to tow a Fiero (where 2 wheels are are still on the road.)

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Just so everyone gets the difference..... a uHaul TRAILER is not a problem. (Where the entire car sits on the trailer)
They will not rent a Dolly to tow a Fiero (where 2 wheels are are still on the road.)

Some will some wont. I've moved about a half dozen, the first was with a dolly but with it leaving 2 wheels on the ground and the small price increase ($20+/-) for a trailer, I'll never use a dolly again. It's much better and safer to get the new unknown off the road and on the trailer so there's no surprises on the way home.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:
Some will some wont. I've moved about a half dozen, the first was with a dolly but with it leaving 2 wheels on the ground and the small price increase ($20+/-) for a trailer, I'll never use a dolly again. It's much better and safer to get the new unknown off the road and on the trailer so there's no surprises on the way home.
Plus Even if you ignore Fiero issues... most AT vehicles hate being towed w/ driving wheels on the road and you will destroy the trans going to fast or too long w/ too long can be just a couple of miles.

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used the trailer a bunch of times for fieros and never had an issue. I always put them backwards, but i might start putting them forwards because of this thread, I use a Ram 1500.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never used a U Haul trailer but then, I don't need to. I have more trailers than most folks will ever own when combined over their life time. I much prefer to transport with one of my gooseneck trailers but, do use a bumper pull tilt bed once in a while. Have even pulled tandem trailers a few times when the opportunity arises but that isn't often.

I've also transported more Fieros, sometimes two at a time than I could count. But then, I enjoy doing that, getting paid to travel to exotic places and seeing the sights is something I like doing.

I hope you have a good trailering experience.

Rams
kmartyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2019 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kmartymanSend a Private Message to kmartymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rented one of these last weekend to bring home an '86 GT (the trailer, not the dolly). Loaded it front first, no issue with scraping the nose. Used a '19 F150 - Pretty painless for the 800 mile trip...other than a ton of construction zones and bad highway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock