New Kid on the block by Mtruska
Started on: 05-21-2019 10:26 AM
Replies: 12 (365 views)
Last post by: Mtruska on 05-22-2019 08:52 AM
Mtruska

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MtruskaSend a Private Message to MtruskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, finally getting around to making a "new here" topic. My name is Matt and I am from PA. I inherited my dad's fiero after his passing 2 years ago. He was a forum member (Old Guy 86) but looks like he only had 4 posts, one being his "new here" topic- //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-084395.html where he started asking on how to carb a V6. Against some other forum member's advice, he did it lol and "Donna" as he called her is running strong. My Dad's name was Taft Truska, not sure if anyone recognizes that name.

Anyway, about the fiero. It is an 86 carbed V6 2.8L Notchie. My old man did a lot of work to her. She has a NB Miata dash swap, new speakers and sub in the middle rear console, custom deck lid and a ton of other work to keep her alive and well.

So far, I have put new wheels and tires on her, new brakes, new fiero store performance exhaust, change the interior lights to white LEDs, new NRG quick release steering wheel, new fiero store mats, new dew wipes, and some other small things.
Future plans will be to get the fiero store handling kit #2 to lower her and stiffen up the suspension (would like to hear some feed back from that kit if anyone has it), new performance radiator, big brake conversion, new paint, and some other things. I am not sure on the engine aspect of things. Part of me wants to keep my Dad's work alive with his carbed V6, other wants to do an engine swap and hurt some feelings

I will post pics later once I download PIP on my personal laptop.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Matt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome
Id say run the snot out of the V6 for a while, I have found given time when you get bored with something the mod bug comes around, since you already have a list Id just work on those things first.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the Handling Package #2 w/KYB, and the big swaybars.
It completely transformed the handling of the car. Mine was an 86SE V-6 4 speed, with the Rallye and Heavy Duty suspension codes (better than the WS6 in my opinion).
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Upgrades" from The Fiero Store and others often have big problems made by idiots just to get money. TFS is Not your friend no matter how "nice" they are. They are here only to make as much money possible and often have other places when done. Like TLA later called BTR selling BS LED "Upgrades" that change the name again and gone to find other suckers w/ new name.

"big brake conversion" from TFS is nothing but a ripoff of old PFF threads and Internet "directions" to "upgrade" using "Grand Am" brake parts on a Fiero. That crap has many problems regardless of posted here say it works.

Very little value having "performance radiator" on L4 or V6 Fiero. If your coolant system have Real problems just fix them. See my Cave, Coolant Fill and go from there.
Many Fiero owner have Myth problems and TFS and others are happy to take your money for "Fixing" these Myths. Like They Love people thinking engine runs 210-230°F is overheating while they laugh all the way to the Bank.

You can buy suspension parts yourself. Use Premium Gas Shocks/Struts, I like Gabriel but others are good too, and Moog rubber for control arms will stiffen the car a lot w/o problems cause by polly. See my Cave, Bump Steer and rest of section.

Lowering the car also causes big problem that few will tell you like changing ride height can wreck many parts.
Like Cut rear springs or change spring mounts will cause strut problems and often break them or parts connected to them.
Why? Shocks and struts are made to operate in around middle ⅓ all the time. Monroe more so because how there made. Lower car w/ same shocks/struts as OE then they work outside of design and often slam the pistons and/or rod to hit the bottom and make them fail fast. Fiero front w/ cut/short springs can break the LBJ too at any time often in the middle of a highway. You Never want the suspension to hit the "Bump Stops," worse when this repeatedly happens, but people think this is normal and safe. Bump Stops are only a backup plan for the shock and struts hitting big holes.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt, sorry about the passing of your father. It's great though that you wish to continue his passion.

Originally posted by Mtruska:

I will post pics later once I download PIP on my personal laptop.

Just a tip... Max image width - 1024 pixels. Max file size - 300 kb.

And don't be put off by The Ogre's demeanor. He's a knowledgeable member who's been here basically since day one.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-21-2019).]

Mtruska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MtruskaSend a Private Message to MtruskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

"Upgrades" from The Fiero Store and others often have big problems made by idiots just to get money. TFS is Not your friend no matter how "nice" they are. They are here only to make as much money possible and often have other places when done. Like TLA later called BTR selling BS LED "Upgrades" that change the name again and gone to find other suckers w/ new name.

"big brake conversion" from TFS is nothing but a ripoff of old PFF threads and Internet "directions" to "upgrade" using "Grand Am" brake parts on a Fiero. That crap has many problems regardless of posted here say it works.

Very little value having "performance radiator" on L4 or V6 Fiero. If your coolant system have Real problems just fix them. See my Cave, Coolant Fill and go from there.
Many Fiero owner have Myth problems and TFS and others are happy to take your money for "Fixing" these Myths. Like They Love people thinking engine runs 210-230°F is overheating while they laugh all the way to the Bank.

You can buy suspension parts yourself. Use Premium Gas Shocks/Struts, I like Gabriel but others are good too, and Moog rubber for control arms will stiffen the car a lot w/o problems cause by polly. See my Cave, Bump Steer and rest of section.

Lowering the car also causes big problem that few will tell you like changing ride height can wreck many parts.
Like Cut rear springs or change spring mounts will cause strut problems and often break them or parts connected to them.
Why? Shocks and struts are made to operate in around middle â…“ all the time. Monroe more so because how there made. Lower car w/ same shocks/struts as OE then they work outside of design and often slam the pistons and/or rod to hit the bottom and make them fail fast. Fiero front w/ cut/short springs can break the LBJ too at any time often in the middle of a highway. You Never want the suspension to hit the "Bump Stops," worse when this repeatedly happens, but people think this is normal and safe. Bump Stops are only a backup plan for the shock and struts hitting big holes.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

-Matt
Mtruska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MtruskaSend a Private Message to MtruskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mtruska

8 posts
Member since Apr 2019
Here are pics as promised...

Thanks,
Matt
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your father but I am glad you decided to keep the Fiero love going. That dash looks real nice. I have purchased many parts from "The Fiero Store", I will admit their shipping is a bit ridiculous at times, however they do offer a lot of parts that are no longer around. They do offer a great service to a very small community.

Do you know about the Fiero's at Carlisle 25th Anniversary Celebration? Being how you are already in Pennsylvanian and all.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 05-21-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seem to be squatting in the rear...
Assuming no mods, This is common problem when replace front parts like install front gas shocks and not the rear, too much trash in the trunk, or both.

Gas units adds some spring rate to an axle because how gas works in most of them.

This...

is often bad because OE "sail panel" trim is part of air flow thru the cabin...

Act similar to NACA Ducts to suck air out from cabin so driver won't fall asleep even w/ heat/ac off.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-21-2019).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love that dash and console. Do you know it's origin?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to our obsession. I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing.
That's a very nice car. Very nicely done.

Originally posted by fierofool:

I love that dash and console. Do you know it's origin?

He posted earlier that the dash was from an "NB" Miata. (Second gen. 1999 - 2005 )
I think that's probably my favorite Miata dash, ever. (My Miata was an "NA" - aka 1st gen. That dash, not so much, although the guts were mostly the same as the NB.)

The console doesn't appear to be from a Miata. Maybe a one-off? I could be mistaken.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-21-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Mtruska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MtruskaSend a Private Message to MtruskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your father but I am glad you decided to keep the Fiero love going. That dash looks real nice. I have purchased many parts from "The Fiero Store", I will admit their shipping is a bit ridiculous at times, however they do offer a lot of parts that are no longer around. They do offer a great service to a very small community.

Do you know about the Fiero's at Carlisle 25th Anniversary Celebration? Being how you are already in Pennsylvanian and all.

Thank you! Yes, I plan on attending Carlisle. Unfortunately, I will not be entering the car this year as I am a little nervous on the distance. This is the first year I'm working on her and it was sitting around for a while. Since we are finally having some good weather, I plan on taking some trial runs on long distance to see how she handles it.

I have been in talks with Jen from MAFOA about the group for carlisle so I hope to run into everyone who goes!
Mtruska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MtruskaSend a Private Message to MtruskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mtruska

8 posts
Member since Apr 2019

Originally posted by Raydar:

Welcome to our obsession. I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing.
That's a very nice car. Very nicely done.

He posted earlier that the dash was from an "NB" Miata. (Second gen. 1999 - 2005 )
I think that's probably my favorite Miata dash, ever. (My Miata was an "NA" - aka 1st gen. That dash, not so much, although the guts were mostly the same as the NB.)

The console doesn't appear to be from a Miata. Maybe a one-off? I could be mistaken.

Thanks! Honestly, I am not sure about the middle console. Knowing my dad, he might have Frankensteined it from other things. That's one amazing quality that he had. He could look at something and know exactly what and how to do it.. and I envy that as I am not as creative as he was lol

but yes, the dash is from the Miata. I remember him talking about it and how he saw someone else do it and really liked it. I have searched everywhere online for the original idea but have not found anything about it. It is honestly my favorite part of this car. If I find the original thread or how-to on it, I will certainly post it.

Thanks,
Matt

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock