4.9 rockers by madbrad01
Started on: 05-16-2019 01:50 PM
Replies: 8 (496 views)
Last post by: Johns 4.9 on 05-24-2019 01:32 AM
madbrad01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a good source for caddy allante 4.9 STEEL rocker bars ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are your aluminum ones damaged?
madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, just been reading how to get some performance out of the 4.9 , Sounds like you need lt-1 valve springs ,and the allante steel rocker supports.
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run big cams, heavy duty springs, and roller rockers and never had a problem with my 4.5/4.9 engines aluminum rocker rails. They rev to 6000 rpm all day long and never had failure on the rocker arm rail. I have also dissembled about a dozen 4.5/4.9 engines and never seen one damage. So I don't know. Are the Allante steel rocker arm rails the preferred ones? Yes. Can you still build a high performance engine without them? Absolutely. There are ways to make the aluminum rocker rails more resilient than stock.
Cheers

[This message has been edited by Johns 4.9 (edited 05-17-2019).]

madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I'll give the stockers a try, Do you sand off the high spots?
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
High spots? I don't think I understand what you mean. You definitely want to use a longer rocker arm mounting bolt. Stock ones are only threaded about 2/3 the way through the rocker arm rail. I recommend tapping the rail all the way through and use a bolt that sticks past the end of the rocker rail by 2-5 mm.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Johns 4.9:

...You definitely want to use a longer rocker arm mounting bolt. Stock ones are only threaded about 2/3 the way through the rocker arm rail. I recommend tapping the rail all the way through and use a bolt that sticks past the end of the rocker rail by 2-5 mm.

So that's the trick!
I have never heard of one of these breaking. I have heard of bolts/studs pulling out, however.
Seems simple, in retrospect.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-18-2019).]

madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2019 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanls for the tips, any source for the bolts?
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2019 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hardware store? Match them up like this:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock