Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Is it wrong to copy a part if the original maker no longer makes it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is it wrong to copy a part if the original maker no longer makes it? by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 05-16-2019 01:24 PM
Replies: 10 (445 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 05-17-2019 04:26 PM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first got the Fiero bug I got a 87GT off eBay and started collecting parts for my build. Unfortunately that 87GT went to the scrap yard due to rot and the parts were squirreled away in my garage attic. Now, many, many years later I have an 88 Formula and 88 base coup.
Somewhere up there is a full set of Aussie stage 2 side scoops as well as a hood scoop.
I know that I'll probably never use them but since I can never get another set, hate to get rid of them just in case.
Would it be wrong to use them to make another set? Or, give them to somebody who makes fiberglass parts so they can make a mold out of them so they can make these to sell?
Is that wrong?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right or wrong is a decision you would have to make. The legality of it would depend upon whether the originator patented or copyrighted the design. Even so, if there were significant mods or improvements to the original design, it might be considered as a competing product.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are making it for yourself only - no.
If you're gonna sell it then it depends on whether or not the original creator made patents, etc...
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you know "Ausfiero's" real name it is very easy to check the USPTO online database

Patents: http://patft.uspto.gov/neta...PTO/search-bool.html

Trademarks: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/b...tate=4804:9pxqtn.1.1

If a foreign patent or trademark isn't registered in the United States under the PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty), it has no legal authority in the U.S.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll chime in on this. Years ago, Jim offered all of his molds to myself and Tedd (Sage). His molds included more than just side scoops and panel. He also had door speaker pods and other items. We both backed out of the deal because we found out that the molds were at the end of life. I would be able to pull MAYBE 1-2 more sets before the molds were garbage. Since the molds were at the end of life and Jim is basically done, there is no reason that someone cannot reproduce these off of an existing set.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to say something about this situation; Long ago there was a Pennocks member who was working to create a reproduction center console skeleton......Sadly, he passed before he could finish the project. I remember some discussion about someone else taking this project up....and some of the people on here reacted very strongly against someone else doing it.....So, from their point of view, NO-ONE should EVER try to make a new skeleton...EVER!!!!

I think that is ridiculous; I am fully on board with protecting someone's patent- even non-official patent- If that person is producing that part and selling them, that is HIS......But are we never going to have any specialty replacement parts as people who have created them pass on? I seriously doubt that Anyone who had created a part would want the Fiero community to "Do without" after their passing......

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intertesting, so legally even after someone passes, the patent is there, valid for whatever period of time, with no one to make use of it? Unless maybe it was a company with other employees or passed down to someone?
(If it is even registered as legal in the U.S,)
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:
If you are making it for yourself only - no.
If you're gonna sell it then it depends on whether or not the original creator made patents, etc...

I'm not looking to get into the part making business but would be willing to lend them to somebody who IS in the business if they could use them to make molds.
Assuming they could do so without damaging them. Or if that's not possible, maybe give me back a new set.??
Don't know, just thinking out loud. This was mentioned in the mall when somebody tried to sell a set.
I would add that there is some room to improve the design, especially the strips that run along the bottom of the door. I don't care for the way they're made to attach.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet: Long ago there was a Pennocks member who was working to create a reproduction center console skeleton......Sadly, he passed before he could finish the project. I remember some discussion about someone else taking this project up....and some of the people on here reacted very strongly against someone else doing it.....So, from their point of view, NO-ONE should EVER try to make a new skeleton...EVER!!!!

This type of thing seems to be pretty common in he Fiero community. And it makes me scratch my head. I understand wanting to pay respects to the deceased, or respect intellectual property. But banning people from making useful parts just because "so-and-so used to make them years ago" is ridiculous. There are some really useful parts that aren't made anymore. And nobody else will make them, because the community decided it's taboo. So we all get to suffer.

Aftermarket support for the Fiero is fading fast. The LAST thing the community should be doing is running off the few people who still want to make aftermarket stuff for our cars.

Anyway, enough ranting...

To the OP: I see no problem with reproducing those body parts. AusFiero closed up shop and sold off the molds, so it's not like you're taking money out of his pocket. Plus there are people in the Fiero community who would like to buy those parts.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I make and sell emblems/badges for the Fiero. If someone copied and sold them NOW I would be upset.

If I died tomorrow and someone copied and sold them - I would be happy knowing that they were still available.
If I decided I no longer wanted to make and sell them, then more power to whoever wanted to pick up where I left off.
Either way I would take it as a compliment and happy I contributed to keeping the hobby going (even in a minuscule way)

My 0.02

Tim

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

This type of thing seems to be pretty common in he Fiero community. And it makes me scratch my head. I understand wanting to pay respects to the deceased, or respect intellectual property. But banning people from making useful parts just because "so-and-so used to make them years ago" is ridiculous. There are some really useful parts that aren't made anymore. And nobody else will make them, because the community decided it's taboo. So we all get to suffer.

Aftermarket support for the Fiero is fading fast. The LAST thing the community should be doing is running off the few people who still want to make aftermarket stuff for our cars.

Anyway, enough ranting...

To the OP: I see no problem with reproducing those body parts. AusFiero closed up shop and sold off the molds, so it's not like you're taking money out of his pocket. Plus there are people in the Fiero community who would like to buy those parts.

I feel the same.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock