Started on: 05-14-2019 01:33 PM
Replies: 16 (541 views)
Last post by: Carver1 on 06-02-2019 12:01 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have obtained a rear spoiler for my 88 coupe and the decklid has no holes in it.
I was wondering has anyone mounted the spoiler back further from the stock position.
I know that there were stands being made that would push it back a bit but I don`t recall out of
the decklids I have looked at if where the stock mounting screws go through if the decklid is thinner
there because the screws on the stock stands are not very long.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the decklid raised, there are two recessed areas. One on each side toward the rear of the lid (toward you). The reinforcing structure has an area that has a small arch in it. The rear stand bold goes in the flat area, immediately to the outside of the arch. You can't move the wing further back as you surmised. The reinforcement rib is too thick and it's part of the trunk seal. I have seen one Fastback that had a spoiler from another vehicle installed and the bolt hole was directly on top of the trunk seal.

I can get a picture of the underside of the lid with spoiler installed, later this evening if no one else beats me to it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stealth wingstands are the only ones I know of to do this.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/047324.html

With TLG/BTR no longer around, they may be passed on to someone else to produce.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The stealth wingstands are the only ones I know of to do this.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/047324.html

With TLG/BTR no longer around, they may be passed on to someone else to produce.

I was the manufacturer of those. I took the original design, made it smoother, and produced those for Chris. They sold like hotcakes but they were a limited run and after the last batch that I made, the molds were end of life and I had to destroy them. I have never re-made them because BTR is no longer in business and Chris owns the rights to the design.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-14-2019).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I have obtained a rear spoiler for my 88 coupe and the decklid has no holes in it.
I was wondering has anyone mounted the spoiler back further from the stock position.
I know that there were stands being made that would push it back a bit but I don`t recall out of
the decklids I have looked at if where the stock mounting screws go through if the decklid is thinner
there because the screws on the stock stands are not very long.

Hopefully someone chimes in with a definite answer but I believe if you add the stock spoiler, you may need to adjust the decklid torsion rods or the decklid will not stay open. I know that when you remove a stock spoiler, the decklid almost rips itself off the hinges if you do not lower the torsion spring tension.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

With the decklid raised, there are two recessed areas. One on each side toward the rear of the lid (toward you). The reinforcing structure has an area that has a small arch in it. The rear stand bold goes in the flat area, immediately to the outside of the arch. You can't move the wing further back as you surmised. The reinforcement rib is too thick and it's part of the trunk seal. I have seen one Fastback that had a spoiler from another vehicle installed and the bolt hole was directly on top of the trunk seal.

I can get a picture of the underside of the lid with spoiler installed, later this evening if no one else beats me to it.

That would be great. Thanks

Thanks to everyone else for the replies.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-14-2019).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks and I see what you mean, it`s about as far back as it can go.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I was the manufacturer of those. I took the original design, made it smoother, and produced those for Chris. They sold like hotcakes but they were a limited run and after the last batch that I made, the molds were end of life and I had to destroy them. I have never re-made them because BTR is no longer in business and Chris owns the rights to the design.

Cool to know who made them

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Well, there are two layers of lid with a gap farther back, but that's not to say one couldn't drill thru both and maybe have a spacer if needed to firm it up. Is the objective just the change in look?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Well, there are two layers of lid with a gap farther back, but that's not to say one couldn't drill thru both and maybe have a spacer if needed to firm it up. Is the objective just the change in look?

I was wanting to mount the spoiler I got on a wing delete decklid and I figured if it could be moved back a bit I could drill the holes wherever but I think I`m going to mould a scoop on to a decklid anyway
so I will probably keep the wing delete decklid intact and get another.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TXGOOD, I think there were two different spoiler stands. One had the studs at the extreme ends and one had the rear stud mounted slightly forward. If so, that would give you a little more rearward position. There's plenty of room for positioning of the forward stud, as you can see.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just posted the pics for someone else, coincidentally, but before I started my rebody, I had moved the GT spoiler back about two inches on an 85 GT decklid. My spoiler has the studs on the ends (about 1/2' to 3/4" in from the edge of the stands).

Unfortunately I don't think I have a pic of it mounted.

Bob

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I looked at my decklid and it looks like the rear bolt goes right through that little button like your picture.
If I decide to use my decklid it shoud be fairly easy to tell where to drill the holes.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspected that a non-spoiler lid would have a button like the other two and that would be a good locator. Something I do when a spoiler is removed and replaced is to use a small bit of windshield setting tape, flattened to make something like a washer to go around the hole on top of the decklid between the lid and gasket. It makes a good water seal. Then once the studs are passed through the decklid, a small amount of anti-seize on the stud to prevent the nut from rusting to the stud, in the event any water does leak through.
spirit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2019 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made a plate to move my wing back.. I mounted the wing stands with the front stud in the rear hole and the hole in the plate in the original front hole in the deck. Made f/g cover for all that and painted to match. This moved my wing back about 4 1/2 inches and the car looks longer.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2019 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spirit:

I made a plate to move my wing back.. I mounted the wing stands with the front stud in the rear hole and the hole in the plate in the original front hole in the deck. Made f/g cover for all that and painted to match. This moved my wing back about 4 1/2 inches and the car looks longer.

Pics? I’ve been looking for something like this since the stealth wing stands are no longer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock