Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Hey guys, I design 3D printable Fiero parts. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hey guys, I design 3D printable Fiero parts. by tonystark29
Started on: 04-30-2019 09:25 AM
Replies: 43 (3282 views)
Last post by: Oregon88 on 04-09-2022 03:49 PM
tonystark29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2019 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tonystark29Send a Private Message to tonystark29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Collection of all the parts I've made so far.

You're welcome to use the files and make your own parts if you have access to a 3D printer. I have more designs that I'm currently working on, including a redesigned shifer console with cupholders, gauge cluster housings, and remakes of more stock parts. If you have any recommendations for stuff you'd like to see, let me know!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2019 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it’s really cool you do this stuff! I like designing too, which program do you use? I use blender but don’t have a printer.

Keep up the good work!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-30-2019 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tonystark29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2019 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tonystark29Send a Private Message to tonystark29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

I think it’s really cool you do this stuff! I like designing too, which program do you use? I use blender but don’t have a printer.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I use mainly Autodesk's stuff. I wish I knew Blender; people make some really cool stuff with it. I probably should learn it, because surfacing by wireframe takes a really long time.

If you're into DIY stuff, FDM 3D printers are very affordable nowadays, the Ender 3 is like $200 and the material/filament is cheap. Mine has paid for itself many times over in useful stuff I've made, not just for my Fiero.

[This message has been edited by tonystark29 (edited 05-06-2019).]

dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2019 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Son of a PLA ... very timely! I've been fiddling with doing my own scoop,but it's harder than it looks to draw those things up. This saves me a ton of time, thanks!

I did do up little panels to replace the ashtrays that fit mini electrical switches for the front camera, that sort of thing. The cup holder idea is fantastic, though -- I presume that would require printing in multiple pieces? (Unless you have a printer with GIANT print volume.)

(Also really dig the blank version without the "Holley" wording as I like subtle )

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 05-01-2019).]

michfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2019 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michfiero1Send a Private Message to michfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tonystark...check your PM
N0ctrnl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2019 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N0ctrnlSend a Private Message to N0ctrnlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to see more and more of these parts. The center console frame in particular would be perfect to print and then stretch vinyl over.

I've actually been working on a bezel myself for 00-02 GM window switches. Few test prints in and almost there.

Nicely done!

[This message has been edited by N0ctrnl (edited 05-02-2019).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2019 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuse box cover?
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2019 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very... Very.... VERY COOL!

------------------
Paul

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2019 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tonystark29:

Collection of all the parts I've made so far.

You're welcome to use the files and make your own parts if you have access to a 3D printer. I have more designs that I'm currently working on, including a redesigned shifer console with cupholders, gauge cluster housings, and remakes of more stock parts. If you have any recommendations for stuff you'd like to see, let me know!

Anything your making for sale?

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

N0ctrnl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2019 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N0ctrnlSend a Private Message to N0ctrnlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can order stuff printed with the design from several places.
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2019 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Typically, I order my 3D prints from:
https://www.axisproto.com/

For plastic, I usually order with the SLA or SLS process.
Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2019 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really dig the USB outlets for the center console! I'd love to see one that looks stock and maybe adds a small switch to jump the aldl connector to get engine codes without taking the cover off.

Seriously man nice work... I've no idea how to do any of that stuff.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2019 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony

Very cool stuff! I sell high end 3D metal printers, send me a PM and I may be able to help you get some metal parts made once in a while

Where in Ontario are you?

Peter
airwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2019 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for airwrenchSend a Private Message to airwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's 2 parts I've done:

A pillar trim clips:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2030247

Pontiac badge for rear:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2107430

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2019 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The OP's parts look great. Just goes to show how 3 D printers are changing our life. Its now become possible to make small quantities of discontinued or unavailable components but the investment in hardware and software is significant. I saw in a video that Jay Lenos garage mechanics make many of the parts used on Jay's antique car restorations. Having a new source for unavailable Fiero parts would be valuable..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on that holley scoop think you can have it say 3800 instead of holley?
tonystark29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tonystark29Send a Private Message to tonystark29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:

Son of a PLA ... very timely! I've been fiddling with doing my own scoop,but it's harder than it looks to draw those things up. This saves me a ton of time, thanks!

I did do up little panels to replace the ashtrays that fit mini electrical switches for the front camera, that sort of thing. The cup holder idea is fantastic, though -- I presume that would require printing in multiple pieces? (Unless you have a printer with GIANT print volume.)

(Also really dig the blank version without the "Holley" wording as I like subtle )

-- A

Glad to hear it'll be used! That's awesome! I've also made a switchplate that fits in the ashtray This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.. I'd like to see what you've come up with too!

I'm having a little trouble redesigning the front center console (shiftplate) to fit adequately sized cupholders though. Even with the full skeleton removed, there's just not enough depth and room to fit them in a decent location. There is one small area where a single cupholder would fit behind the shifter where the right window switch currently is, but having a cup there would make it in the way of shifting. The center spine is in the way to have it anywhere else. The rear center console may be the best bet for integrated cupholders.

If I continue with the front console redesign, I would make the housing in seperate peices that clip together, and then I'd wrap it in vinyl. Also I'm designing something simple for a cupholder right now, just to have a temporary solution. It will just be an insert that fits in the ashtray cavity. The cupholders will rest off to the side of the console housing.

tonystark29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tonystark29Send a Private Message to tonystark29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tonystark29

6 posts
Member since Dec 2018

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

on that holley scoop think you can have it say 3800 instead of holley?

Sure! I'm making it now. I'll post it in the folder whern I'm done. It'll be the last file in the folder. Link to the scoop.

tonystark29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tonystark29Send a Private Message to tonystark29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tonystark29

6 posts
Member since Dec 2018

Originally posted by airwrench:

Here's 2 parts I've done:

A pillar trim clips:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2030247

Pontiac badge for rear:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2107430

Looks great, I'll print them off if I ever need them, thanks for sharing!
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the file

ever thought about doing the radio surround as well the cap that goes around for both the gt gauges and non gt gauges.
PFF
System Bot
tonystark29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tonystark29Send a Private Message to tonystark29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the file

ever thought about doing the radio surround as well the cap that goes around for both the gt gauges and non gt gauges.

My current audio is all stock so I want to upgrade it when I'm able to. When I do, I'll probably invest some time into duplicating the original hardware and making aftermarket speaker plates/boxes. Somebody already made some on Thingiverse IIRC.

Dash/gauge plates, and housings, absolutely. In fact, I took most of the dash assembly from a scrapped '87 so I don't have to take mine apart to measure everything lol. If you've noticed, a lot of my posts on Thingiverse are exact duplicates of the stock parts. I have access to a few 3D scanners that I usually use to verify that my hand-measuring is accurate. All the files that I upload are CAD-made though because 3D scanning just gives you a lot of surfaces that take forever to close all the gaps to make into a workable solid, and picks up all the post-process defects that you don't want in your model. Great for checking though. There are no other online models or catalogues of any of the actual stock Fiero parts, so I want to make that happen for people who need exact dimensions of their car without having to actually tear apart their car to get them.

All the aftermarket stuff like the redesign of the side scoop is designed in mind for 3D printing. So I'll make a lot of that stuff too, which will be the most practical of them.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2019 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome stuff man!!
yamaha94

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the quality of these 3d printing models are excellent. i have been making stuff for my Ontario friends and they love it. some of the clips did break but it all comes down to the type of plastic you use to improve durability.
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you wouldn't happen to have the .stp file for the fiero logo would ya? i would love to put it on one of our milling machines and make it out of 6061T4 .
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I only needed the one switch, I hid mine under the existing ashtray cover:

Generally I leave it in Auto, where the backup camera comes on in reverse, but I can force the front camera if I'm worried about hitting a bollard.

The insert itself is a convoluted mess to fit in place of the factory metal piece.

And then there's the two-color label for the switch:

You can easily fit two of the mini switches in there, maybe more if you go sideways as yours did.

Anyway, some more ideas. Honestly, this prolly doesn't require a printer, could do it with a piece of ABS from the local plastic place if you're patient and good with the Dremel. I just like to have fun with the printer

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 05-17-2019).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a pm...

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2019 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I just saw that cupholder- Brilliant! Any way I could get one of those? (For less than a million...?)
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony... might you consider doing the center console panel without the lighter plug? Just a bunch of USB ports?
I removed my lighter socket, and placed a metal cap in the hole; then spliced in a cable that goes to the front, with a bunch of power outlets under the glove box I added.

Edit - FWIW... the 2016 and newer Miatas have removable cupholders that either clip to the right side of the console, or snap into sockets on the rear of the center console, between the seats. Not saying I need anything like that (I'm content to just stuff my drink bottles between the dash pod and center pod.) Just food for thought.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-08-2019).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2019 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be awesome if someone could do up some t-top end caps.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would need a nice scanner and a tester for that
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2019 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

would need a nice scanner and a tester for that

I "may soon" access to one of these - would this work? https://www.creaform3d.com/...3d-scanner-metrascan

Of course I only have 1 side to scan (can a mirror image be easily done?) and one is a bit broken...
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2019 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its much easier to scan fully functional parts that are like new and print. You can get broken parts it just takes more time to fit and finish. I just purchased a printer that i can now make big prints happen it will show up in 2-3 weeks after initial tests.
Brivander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2022 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrivanderSend a Private Message to BrivanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm jumping in late on this one -- anyone have a file for the Console Tray? I'd love one, but no way I'm paying $40 for one.
lodcomm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2022 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lodcommSend a Private Message to lodcommEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Tony,

Any chance you could split up that Console Frame into 4 parts with glue-able dovetail joints. So I could print them out on my Flashforge. and then glue the 4 corners back together ?

thanks for all the work you have done so far on these parts.

-t
lodcomm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2022 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lodcommSend a Private Message to lodcommEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony,

I took to Fusion360 and chopped up the console cover into 4 dovetailed parts so they would fit into my Flashforge. Here is how it has turned out so far:

I'll post up a pic of it completely assembled, filled and sanded.

-t
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2022 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice job on the division i just bought a bigger printer to print these when i needed them. i use 2 ender 5+
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2022 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is really cool stuff. I always wanted a 3d printer. This post is bumping it up my list of things to buy.

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
NIFE Activity Director
1997 Mitsu 3000GT
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula
2020 Forte GT Turbo 2005 Chevy Avalabche

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2022 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

This is really cool stuff. I always wanted a 3d printer. This post is bumping it up my list of things to buy.

They are more affordable and easier to use than ever ... If you are interested, It's definitely worth getting one, Just think of what you'd like to create, and then just make sure the bed size is larger than that.
hillcrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2022 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hillcrestSend a Private Message to hillcrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm probably a big skeptic, but I'm scared to use the details that were created on a 3D printer. Recently I heard that with the help of a 3D printer some people were able to build an ordinary house. How practical is it? Who has been using 3D parts for several years?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock