Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How do you get motivated to work on your Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How do you get motivated to work on your Fiero? by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 04-11-2019 01:16 AM
Replies: 30 (656 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 04-17-2019 11:51 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let’s face it, there are times when we just don’t have the motivation to work on our Fiero’s. Like many of you, I struggle with this too. What helps me is to “think of the end goal”, looking at some Fiero videos on YouTube or reading some of the Fiero literature I have accumulated over the years. All these things help me to get things fixed, to finish that project, to get things done, etc..

So, what motivates you to work on your Fiero, especially when you don’t feel like it?
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 04-11-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What motivates me... is the need to take one of these if I can't keep on top of things.

Actually, I have other vehicular options. I just wanted to post a picture of a bus.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having worked on mine for YEARS, with no end in site, sometimes it takes a lot of motivation to get back to tinkering. The biggest motivation is the people here and some of their awesome build threads. Too many to name, but threads by Don, Neil, Joe, engine man, Archies builds for Troy and Madcurl, Car lo, Nolan, Amida, Bozzie...Just to name a few.

I go back and re-read these threads. I seem to learn or catch little things I want to try every time I re-read them.

And then there is just the end goal and being able to enjoy driving it.

Bob

------------------

My Build

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're working on a Fiero that isn't drivable, perhaps a Fiero friend would let you drive their car, or at least take you for a ride!
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Myself - I don't want to be at it for YEARS....
So I go at it almost 24/7 until it's done.

Too many people "let it sit" for a while, then have a tough time getting restarted.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the nice weather starts here in Michigan..... The nice cars come out, makes me want to get the GT on the road. Fortunately, I haven't had any major issues recently, so I just fix anything that needs it so I can enjoy it all summer long.

Another great motivator is this forum. I'm on here almost daily, getting updates on kgoodyear's taillight lenses, combing through the mall and tech sections - seeing what's new.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just think about what someone else would charge me to do the desired work and that motivates me to do it myself (most of the time).

Nelson
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I just think about what someone else would charge me to do the desired work and that motivates me to do it myself (most of the time).

To say nothing of the crap job they might do. You know the old saying, "If you want the job done right... etc etc"

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2019 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Wife and I put nearly 2,000 miles on our 87GT in just over a month driving to view the world. The drive is my drive to work on the Fiero.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go visit Shemdogg......He is pretty close to you..
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound: Too many people "let it sit" for a while, then have a tough time getting restarted.

I'm that guy. It's gotten to a point where I'll tinker with the car for a month or two, then forget about it for the rest of the year. It may be time to move on. I'm already looking for my next project car.
PFF
System Bot
Flying_Dan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving is my motivation. My 85' GT mostly sits in the garage and it seems like it takes me forever to do even the smallest of projects. Life is busy sort of thing. I'll usually pick a sunny day, open the sunroof, crank some Flock-Of-Twisted-Iron-Scorpions which usually gives me inspiration to install one of the parts I've had sitting in a box for months.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing the beautiful cars on this forum is great motivation for me. Now that I've painted my car and it's all one color for the first time since I bought it eight years ago (and probably for years before then, too), I don't need much outside motivation. I just need to get one other project, a friend's F150 repair job, out of the way so I can finish the Fiero and start enjoying the drive.

One of the biggest motivators for me over the last couple of years is the feeling I get every time I get into my daily driver, a 2002 Buick LeSabre. It ages me ten years.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 04-11-2019).]

BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to car shows or meet ups while my car is stuck in the garage and wishing I could have brought it has been some great motivation for me. (Not that my car is car show worthy but at least would be fun to drive there and may at least get some second looks).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My lack of motivation is the car runs and drives great! I know myself and if I take it down to do more upgrades, then it will be down for much longer than planned due to scope creep.

I do like getting out in the garage and making small progress on my r&d efforts.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like spending my leisure time in the shop; the Fiero allows me to puzzle my brain, cut and weld stuff, paint, turn things on the lathe, write code, etc. Driving it (when it shall run) just happens to be a side benefit.

If I weren't busy working on my Fiero almost every weekend, here are some other expensive projects that come to mind:
Home-built computer
V8-swapping my present daily driver (and then having to get a shitbox for DD duty)
Speaker testing jig (to aid in designing speaker enclosures)
ABS module for my dad's trailer brakes
A wood boat
Vacuum tube audio amplifier
Update my dynamic wheel balancer with my latest ideas
Having an offspring

More money would equate to more grandiose project ideas... such as an airplane.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 04-11-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I know myself and if I take it down to do more upgrades, then it will be down for much longer than planned due to scope creep.

LOL... I've never previously heard it expressed in quite that manner.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the last 3 months I've struggled to find time to do anything on the project car. I thought when I retired I would have plenty of time for a project, but it turns out that I don't know how I ever had time to work for a living.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some tasty waves n a cool buzz! Working on my car is a getaway from life. Always something coming up to slow me down, now the roof on the toy hauler needs replacing and works picking up. I enjoy the challenge of getting the motivation and making the car look good.

shem
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

For the last 3 months I've struggled to find time to do anything on the project car. I thought when I retired I would have plenty of time for a project, but it turns out that I don't know how I ever had time to work for a living.

Ain't it the truth!

BodymanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BodymanBillSend a Private Message to BodymanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wife likes the car
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few motivators... reading build threads here, watching car shows, etc. I find keeping a build thread myself to be one of the biggest motivators. People commenting keeps me inspired.

One trick when you are dealing with a big project is to break it into a series of little projects. You then concentrate on each little sub projects as a separate entity. Only think about that one little project while working on it, and celebrate its completion before moving on to the next sub project.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like showing up places with a mechanically tight, strong running ( pound for pound that is ) Fiero. And with that I use my Fiero as an example to disprove the many falsehoods rumored of the Fiero. And because mine is quite clean, as so many of yours, IT WORKS. ! And when I let the select few drive my Fiero, their impressed, most very impressed.
So that's what motivates me to keep my Formula running as strong as can be, all things considering.
OK, I'll say this too, and by no means advise anyone to do the same ( unless you want to, and I hope you do, hehehe ) I love to out run so many of those "whatever you call them" , fixed up, for lack of better words, import "whatevers". You know, pleanty of dummy scoops, the outrageous rear air fin, coffee can muffler, and all that undercarriage stuff.
I ran some guy the other day. Gave him a real problem. My hope is that come that evening at the bar, he's telling his buddies that he had a real hard time keeping up with...believe it or not, A PONTIAC FIERO. And that's when all his buddies flip ! A WHAT ? A FIERO ? WHERE ??? And that's not the first time buy no means.
Awh man, can't wait to read the responses from this one
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is usually the wife saying "fix it or it goes!"
That said, she has been very patient, I've not been able to touch it for months (bad knee, can't get up and down so well) and she's not said anything. I think that as long as she can get her car in the garage I am good!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

I ran some guy the other day. Gave him a real problem. My hope is that come that evening at the bar, he's telling his buddies that he had a real hard time keeping up with...believe it or not, A PONTIAC FIERO. And that's when all his buddies flip ! A WHAT ? A FIERO ? WHERE ??? And that's not the first time buy no means.

Been there, done that... 45 years ago. Obviously not with a Fiero.

However, about ten years ago I started to autocross my Fiero(s). Autocross is a fun safe activity that can be used to demonstrate what our goofy little plastic cars can do. My Fieros are nothing terribly special, but over the years they've surprised a lot of people out on the tarmac.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A wise person told me another great way of getting yourself motivated. Whenever you're feeling un-inspired, buy something. A nice, new, shiny piece for your project will always help get you back in the mood. The hard part is hiding it from your better half...
Robodog_X920

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robodog_X920Send a Private Message to Robodog_X920Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What keeps me working on my Fiero is that it is kind of soothing to tinker with cars. I work on cars to keep myself from, losing it outside of the car world. That also makes me different from most in the automotive world.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robodog_X920:

That also makes me different from most in the automotive world.

I suspect you're not too different than many/most car hobbyists. It's stress-reducing to "lose" oneself while tinkering... unless it involves drilling out broken exhaust manifold bolts.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few of us in Calgary participate in quite a few of the local and area Show n Shines.
So the cars get a good wash and clean up regularly and we get interesting talks with people.
Other people's interest helps maintain YOUR interest. Why being in a group also helps...

N.W. Cruise Calendar
http://cruisecalendar.ca/CCC2019.pdf

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Why being in a group also helps...

It can also hinder as well if one or two within the group try to suck all the fun out of the experience... but yes, if it's possible to get a like-minded group of pleasant people together, it can be great.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:
I thought when I retired I would have plenty of time for a project,

My Father told me that he was busier now that he was retired......that was about 30 years ago...Now I'm retired and...Yep, Dad was right! I have too many projects....I started a list but ran out of motivation (Writing the list) when it went over 20 major projects........

As far as toasting a "Much better car"...I have been on a few backroads and had to move out; Once, on Del Puerto Canyon road, in the middle of (Absolute) nowhere, a guy started tailgating me with a Mini Cooper JCW and....I dropped the hammer...Left him like he was tied to a tree! Now, that car should far out-perform the semi stock Fiero I own (85 SE V6 + 3.4/getrag/88 rear), and the only reason to be on that road is A) Rancher, or B) looking for a windy backroad to have fun on...He had the vehicle (Supposedly) and the WANT, but I can't say anything about his abilities...A lot of people think they know what they are doing with a car until they...find they are>>>>>NOT!

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock