Long Road Trip.....Tools to Bring? by Spadesluck
Started on: 03-30-2019 05:23 PM
Replies: 18 (354 views)
Last post by: AsaBergman on 04-01-2019 09:52 PM
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be driving from New Mexico to Pennsylvania in June for the Carlisle car show and was wondering what you guys would bring with you for this trip? Anything specific?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A map of U-haul locations along your route in case you need to rent something to bring home your Fiero.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I carry a tool box up front all the time- was on a backroad in the middle of nowhere and the car died- Ignition module...That is why I also carry a spare Ac/Delco Ignition module and spare coil. The tool box has wrenches, 3/8 and 1/4 inch ratchets/sockets/extensions, pliers(Channel-locks, needle-nose and Diagonals), Visegrips, wire cutter/crimper, knife, hemostats, screw drivers, etc.....I also carry a gallon of coolant usually......Socket/wrench sizes are 7/8/10/13/15/17 mm + Torx tips in sizes 15/20/25/40/55........I usually don't carry an ultra-fine adjustment tool (2 lb Sledge hammer)...But my car has a good attitude..........
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to carry this for all my road trips. I found if you take enough tool to do just about anything, you won't need them... which is the goal.

A couple years ago, I made a basic tool kit that fit within the Pontiac Accessory Bag:

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely and extra set of drive belts. Something to use as wheel chocks in case you have to jack it up and get underneath. A tarp to lay on. basic sockets and wrenches, screwdrivers.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry....I fergot.......also.....a FRENCH dictionary!!!!
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An AAA membership. Tow to a parts store and fix in the lot. Most places loan tools as needed.

I do haul a laptop sized Craftsman kit (something like 125 tool pieces) in my car regularly, but it gets used more for the junkyard trips and tasks I plan for anyway.

Everything else is much less complicated now that cellphones are portable computers these days. Amazing that we still worry like a pay-phone is going to be fun to find.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well maybe I am the screwball here... YES carry a spare ignition module and the tools to change it. As for the rest.. maybe a leather man type multi tool. Thats it... except for the most important thing.. your cell.

Trouble with having an entire mechanic shop of tools is when it breaks for you to need those tools there is a 99.9% chance you are going to need parts. The parts stores where I shop have loaner tools and if not they sure sell em.

In my years of driving a Fiero, I have been stranded once due to an ignition module, which is why I carry one now. A few years later (and a different car) I had to change said ignition module on the side of a road. The worst issue I have had was a blown upper coolant hose. That one was temp fixed by wrapping a large piece of the paper stickers come on around the pipe then wrapped with a shoe lace and tied. (sticker paper was found in the trash where I was, just needed something water proof ish) Car was limped to the closest parts store and fixed using... you guessed it... loaner tools.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most importantly something to play your favorite music!!
Then if you break down, at least you can have some good tunes.

I used to travel between Nor cal and East Texas (about 2245.8 miles) 2-4 times a year.
The issues I encountered:
Flat tire
Broken belt
Ran out of gas
Water pump leak
Except for the water pump, the rest were easily fixed.

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 03-31-2019).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Along with most of the above mentioned stuff, I'd include a pair of VICE GRIPS. This tool can substitute for a lot of different things. Along with that, the ignition module and belts are a must. Be sure to have the correct tools to replace the module if need be. You may have torx screws in there. You might want to consider a can of fix a flat and an extra quart or two of oil also.
If your Fiero is in decent shape, my bet is that you'll have little to no problem on your trip. I drove my Formula from N.J. to Georgia, then Georgia to Florida and back. Purred like a kitten. It was driving around town where my alternator belt broke. Fortunately I had a spare in the trunk and fixed it on the side of the road.
I would recommend road side assistance in your auto insurance policy. That can come in real handy with whatever you drive.
Good luck on your trip.....see you there !
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Long Road Trip.....Tools to Bring?

A cell phone and a credit card
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
....................................Bring a trailer.....................................

Seriously, my ignition module went out on backroad in the bay area....yet I was at least 10 miles from any help. And an ignition module doesn't do you much good....if you don't have the tools (And Thermo paste) to change it out.........

I prefer to be self-reliant (as much as possible).........Small tool kit......my tool box is approx' 17 x 6 x 4 inches and weighs around 6-8 lbs......craftsman plastic case.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I go out on trips with a 3/8" socket set, a 1/4" socket set, a set of two side box wrenches for 10, 13, 15, 17 and 18mm, two screwdrivers, pliers, a flat fix set, and a foot air pump. Also take along two belts, two fire extinguishers and a pistol.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 03-31-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And a credit card....
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Change of clothes
Jug of water
Hand cleaner/soap
Blanket
Aspirin
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not going to lie, got some good laughs reading a few of these. Laughing still even knowing what was said is still true. Thank you for the information. I never gave thought to an extra belt.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use to take a general selection of tools that could be used for basic repairs (belt, ICM replacement) and also carry spare fuses and some wire along with a meter.

I figure if anything breaks that can't be fixed with a simple set of tools - I am not going to be wanting to fix it on the side of a road anyways.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have a small Bell 12V air pump...But no flat-fixer........hmmmmmmm
AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also pack the thermal paste necessary to install the ignition module.
Paperclip to read ECM codes.
Thick gloves incase you do need to replace anything on the engine while it's hot.
Spare headlight, a few spare tail / brake light bulbs.
On a 2.5 I'd pack a spare fuel pump relay and oil pressure sensor and a socket/wrench to change the sensor.

Gas can. This should always be in your Fiero.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock