Identification of a 3800 block by longjonsilver
Started on: 03-17-2019 07:44 AM
Replies: 6 (185 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 03-18-2019 09:51 AM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a line on a 3800 with supercharger. The supercharger is off the block (for painting?) and the seller of the 3800 doesn't know what car or year the engine is off of. i want to identify positively the block so as to not buy some NA 3800 thinking it is an L67 or L32, and if an L67 whether it is a series 1 or 2.

Can anybody help me identify the block without taking it apart?
thanks
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supercharged engines have the fuel injector ports in the heads.
NA blocks have the fuel injector ports in the intake manifold runners.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Supercharged engines have the fuel injector ports in the heads.
NA blocks have the fuel injector ports in the intake manifold runners.

Thanks olejoedad. So just to clarify the supercharged engines don't have an intake manifold?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The manifold that the supercharger bolts to is the intake manifold, so yes, a supercharged 3800 has an intake manifold. It is much different from the NA manifold.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-17-2019).]

OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its an NA engine top swapped it would still have the injectors in the correct spot, so that could happen.

I am not sure really how to identify the block, maybe someone else will have an idea...
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OntarioKev:

If its an NA engine top swapped it would still have the injectors in the correct spot, so that could happen.

I am not sure really how to identify the block, maybe someone else will have an idea...

Thats what i am worried about, getting a NA block with NA internals and a supercharger stuck on top. That to me is not worth the 3 hour drive much less the money and my time to install. i know that the block can be identified by the numbers but i can't find a link on the internet, assuming of course that the seller provides me with the numbers, which as of this point i have not heard back from him. Maybe he is selling because he knows its a top swapped NA engine, or access is difficult in his garage, or he thinks i am a frivilous buyer, or whatever.
In any case thanks
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a partial VIN on the starter mounting flange.

Edit to add link...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131154.html

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-18-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock