3rd Brake Light Comes on with Running Lights by copperhens
Started on: 03-13-2019 04:13 PM
Replies: 8 (202 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-14-2019 04:19 PM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve figured out most of the Fiero’s electrical issues besides this one. The dash also lights up when the brake is pressed. Why is that?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That usually indicates that there is a bad ground.....probably in the tail light harness.......

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year and model?
High level brake light is fed from different circuit than other brake lights on notchback models, and grounded separately on all models.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-13-2019).]

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an '87 GT. I had the rear clip off a few months ago, and the ground on the frame rail was fine.
BodymanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BodymanBillSend a Private Message to BodymanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
your wires are not correct in the brake switch.
I forget if they are orange or yellow.
start there under the steering wheel.
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BodymanBill:

your wires are not correct in the brake switch.
I forget if they are orange or yellow.
start there under the steering wheel.

I wonder how they would’ve gotten messed up. I’ll have to look at them.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Sneak Path and Lighbulbs
1 or more Rear red tail/brake lights have iffy sockets even if G400 is perfect they cause a sneak path.
all brake side uses same blue wire as high brake for GT and light high brake when have grounding problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would wrong bulbs be a factor as well? I decided to order a fresh set on 2057 and 1156. The reverse lights and rear blinkers are the only ones that take 1156, right?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. only BU white take 1156.
All others use 2057 and amber rear turn just doesn't wire dim side.

Read cave pages again. Iffy socket(s) may look "good" but no ground. look at actual bulbs when taillight on should see only 1 side light up.
But 1 or more likely has both side on here.

NAPA sells (Or did last time I bought bulbs) bulk pack 2057 that's cheaper then buying multiple 2 packs at other stores.
GT rear uses 8 and 2 in front and NAPA pack is 10 I think.

Stock is 2057 but many have 1157 or 2357 bulbs but won't cause this if the bulbs are good. Sometime bulbs get old and loose in the base and can break ground wire in the base. Crap LEDs can break causing bad ground in them.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-14-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock