Mr. Mike's seats. Advice by viperine
Started on: 03-12-2019 12:21 AM
Replies: 12 (828 views)
Last post by: Australian on 03-30-2019 12:15 AM
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really hate to bring this up, but a lot of the recovered seats I see have been showing wrinkles.

I have a set from the man himself, and the quality is second to none. I took notice to customers displaying wrinkles in their fresh new seats at the time, and wanted to avoid it. All I did was use the absolute most extra stuffing I could to pad the seats as well as I could.

It seems as though some are shy to use the padding included with the kits. So I should ask, did you get wrinkles at first that eventually worked themselves out with time and heat?

There are a lot of beautiful sets out there (and on here). I don't like to be a critical, but a little extra effort (padding) could make such a big difference.

I have experienced the difference between what I deem show quality original seats, and good condition used typical seats. The amount of padding degredation is astounding. Most of us have these depleted seats without visual damage, but fail to realize just how shot the cushion is. Mr Mike provides enough to restore to modern cushion standards.

Just my opinion, and I hope not to offend anyone, but to encourage better results in the future. Those hog rings and sore fingers will be worth it with the extra padding!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to really stuff mine with padding to fill in the voids in the seats to make it look "right". Even then, they still looked a tad bit weird, at least until they sat outside in the heat of the sun and the leather stretched and contracted a few times.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no issues when I installed his seat covers in my 88GT. I did use the stuffing supplied and did the install outside in the sun and any wrinkles were gone. The big thing was the tightening everything with lots of the hog rings that came with the kit.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr Mikes leather seat upholstery is excellent and I installed a set on my 87 3800 car. A Fiero friend up this way had custom leather upholstery done by a local shop and the installed price ( Labor + Custom seat upholstery) was about the same as Mr Mikes 4 piece set. Price around and you may get a shop to reupholster the seats at the same price as the DIY Mikes seats or for even less.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did Mr Mike's leather seat covers in my 88GT. I did the passenger
seat first. I ended up using all the cotton he supplied one seat as I
ended up stuffing it up in the bolsters as much as I could to build them
up. I then went to an upholstery shop and got another pile to do
the driver's side seat. I haven't had any wrinkling issues at all with the
covers. I do give then a cleaning/conditioning once a year with Lexol.
I've had them for approx 10 years now.
BodymanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BodymanBillSend a Private Message to BodymanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I do interiors in leather, I use a steamer to take care of the wrinkles. Works great putting in a hedliner as well.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, Mike specifies in his instructions that generous use of the padding will help to prevent wrinkles.
The supplies and tools are there. Go for it.

BTW... You ought to try re-covering Miata seats with his kit. They end up looking spectacular, but OMG are they a PITA to do. Fiero seats are a cakewalk, compared to Miatas.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are perfect but it is all in the install. You need to use packing in right places Note: For every 30 mins of MrMike video allow yourself 6 hours. Mr Mike has fingers of steel and could easily give you the touch of death so if you don't have steel fingers allow more time.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a good bottom foam piece that is usually better than the fiero bottom is from a 82-92 s10 blazer / jimmy / s15. I have used them to replace the drivers bottom on my fiero seats and have a lot of padding. problem is it raises the seat pad up about 1' so if your tall i would not suggest this.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It’s all about time and patience. I would stuff, then fit, stuff, then fit over and over until I achieved the look desired. I too had seen these seats with wrinkles so I gave it the extra time needed. No heat needed except for the seat heaters that I installed while upgrading 😜
Misred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2019 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisredSend a Private Message to MisredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having made countless thousands of seats for JCI, whether cloth or pleather we steamed them and went through a 350* oven. Since a large gas oven isnt in most guys garage just take the seats out on a nice hot sunny day and steam them best you can. BTW building a lot of seats you wont need a Planet Fitness membership
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2019 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

BTW... You ought to try re-covering Miata seats with his kit. They end up looking spectacular, but OMG are they a PITA to do. Fiero seats are a cakewalk, compared to Miatas.

That looks like OEM Parallax cloth from Pontiac.
But I didn't see any mention of that fabric at www.MrMikes.com

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never knew people were swapping their fiero seats for mx5 seats. interesting I would have probably gone that route if knew about it at time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock