Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fiero spotting in your area getting rarer?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero spotting in your area getting rarer? by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 03-09-2019 10:34 PM
Replies: 28 (591 views)
Last post by: fierofrenzy on 03-23-2019 05:40 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It used to be (maybe 8-10 years ago) that I would spot another Fiero on the road maybe every 2-3 months. Over the years (predictably) it has gotten less and less. In the last 3-4 years I have rarely seen them at all. In fact, I haven’t seen another Fiero in at least a year to a year and a half here in the Bay Area. My point is that there appears to be a sharp drop-off in the last few years regarding Fiero sightings on the road.
How about your area? Same thing? If so, what do you think is the reason for this sharp decline? Thanks, Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's more rare to see you on here. Where have you been?
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was heading to folsom dam on thursday and saw an 86/87 white gt bouncing about. I took mine out today around my little city.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How rare had depended on where you lived.

Here in many parts of the mid west the Fiera was still a daily sight till just a few years ag on the road.

Today they are still often a daily driveway monument.

Junk yards they have become difficult to find as so many junk yards have moved on from older cars to just new car recycling.

So while you may not see them some places they were still seen in others.
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kinda agree. When I relocated to central Georgia, there were 4 of them within a few miles of where I live. 2 of them were in repair shops just sitting there for a long time. Since then, their all gone. I sure hope they weren't turned into cans and milk bottles.
On the other hand, the white 4 banger I was searching to buy for about 4 years now suddenly popped up in the next town over. Real good shape too so I bought it.
A few weeks ago I saw a burgundy GT in a supermarket parking lot. That was the only time I ever saw that car.
Then theres the Georgia Fiero club guys. I know that theres a bunch of Fiero owners in that group with real nice cars. But I never ever see any of them on the road in my area.
So if people are ever spotting a Fiero in my area, its usually someone else spotting mine. I have 2 different ones that I drive, 1 daily.
One thing I really like though. I get an emmence amount of excited compliments just about every time I take 1 out. From thumbs up at traffic lights, to the police officer who went out of his way to shake my hand and ask me my name. All just because he saw me in a gas station pumping up and wanted to tell me about his father who had one.

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofrenzy

851 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I kinda agree. When I relocated to central Georgia, there were 4 of them within a few miles of where I live. 2 of them were in repair shops just sitting there for a long time. Since then, their all gone. I sure hope they weren't turned into cans and milk bottles.
On the other hand, the white 4 banger I was searching to buy for about 4 years now suddenly popped up in the next town over. Real good shape too so I bought it.
A few weeks ago I saw a burgundy GT in a supermarket parking lot. That was the only time I ever saw that car.
Then theres the Georgia Fiero club guys. I know that theres a bunch of Fiero owners in that group with real nice cars. But I never ever see any of them on the road in my area.
So if people are ever spotting a Fiero in my area, its usually someone else spotting mine. I have 2 different ones that I drive, 1 daily.
One thing I really like though. I get an emmence amount of excited compliments just about every time I take 1 out. From thumbs up at traffic lights, to the police officer who went out of his way to shake my hand and ask me my name. All just because he saw me in a gas station pumping up and wanted to tell me about his father who had one.

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are three salvage yard in with in two miles of my house. It has been a couple of years there would be 3-4 FIEROS in the yards. Have not had one sense.
Did see a 1987 GT on the road last week. Totally agree just don't see FIEROS on the road much.

RT
Historian

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It’s been pretty constant for me. I have a long commute to my job in downtown
Tulsa and about once every six months or so I’d see a different Fiero on the highway. Then, about two months ago, I started seeing a maroon GT here in Oologah. The driver is a young woman, possibly a high school kid.

A month ago as I got back into town after work I saw a black GT sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store down the block from my house. I pulled in and ended up talking to the kid driving it for about 15 minutes. He lives about 10 miles away.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 03-10-2019).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see many Fieros throughout California since I travel up and down the highway 5 corridor every week. Most of them are parked, a few are on the road. I just passed a burgundy GT in San Luis Obispo about a week ago. Believe it or not, the one person I always run into is Curly (Madcurl). He is usually traveling in his silver choptop.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is actually a place called Oologah ????
paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT you have a mPM

Ron T

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

PFF
System Bot
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the winter we've had in the midwest this year, most Fiero's are still in the garage. I agree with everything already written. Hardly ever see another anymore, and hasn't been a Fiero at the U-pull it for a couple of years. I did see an ad my daughter showed me of a guy in a nearby town selling 4 Fiero's for $2500. I have a friend in town who has 2 88 GTs that have been sitting in his yard for about 6 years, and a really nice GT that has been in storage for 15 years. I don't know why he doesn't drive them. I'll get mine out as soon as it warms up and dries out.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

There is actually a place called Oologah ????

Yes, indeed. It’s a Cherokee word that means “dark cloud.” Oologah is also the birthplace of Will Rogers.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see plenty in my area, Woodbridge south to Fredericksburg VA. but they always seem to be going in the opposite direction. Tried chasing a few down with limited success and have invited them to cruise ins, cars and coffee etc., but they simply don't seem to have any interest. I've put notes on parked Fiero's but almost never get a follow up call. We have had a couple of our clubs membership (Central Virginia FIERO Owners) simply drop out of contact and move on to the Corvette group.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in South Florida, West Palm Beach to be exact (Thus the WPB in my screen name if anyone wondered ) I saw one Fiero about 6 years ago, and have not seen another since. This is a bit more crazy, as I drive from West Palm Beach to North Lauderdale on various different roads Monday through Friday. I drive about 300 miles a week.

For some reason, Fieros are REALLY, dare I say rare , in South Florida. I have seen only 2 in the 4 junk yards here in the past 10 years. Myself and CaptnDean actively watch, and have alerts set if one does show up in any of the local yards.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I live in South Florida, West Palm Beach to be exact....

I just got back from South Florida (I lodged at the Super 8 on Hypoluxo Rd. if you know where that is) and did not see a single Fiero either... But I was looking! To be honest I didn't see very many older cars at all. I see more Fieros when I visit California.

My brother used to live in Melbourne and he complained about the ocean breeze bringing in salt mist (or something?) which he thought rusted his car very badly. Is that really a thing? Maybe he was too close to the beach.

Flying_Dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very rare if I ever see a Fiero on the road. Most nice examples are seldom driven and the others are too poorly maintained to drive.

You really don't see many cars from the 80's on the roads. Trucks yes, cars, no.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I just got back from South Florida (I lodged at the Super 8 on Hypoluxo Rd. if you know where that is)

The Super 8 is about 5 minutes from my house. In factr, I was just at tires Plus last Thursday getting tires put on my trailer. It is DIRECTLY across the street from the Super 8. Small World!

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are 3 Fieros in town and I see the other two a couple times per year.

I did my part this weekend to ensure Fieros are still seen rumbling on the road. Took the Fiero out and drove around town for about an hour on Sunday.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

It used to be (maybe 8-10 years ago) that I would spot another Fiero on the road maybe every 2-3 months. Over the years (predictably) it has gotten less and less. In the last 3-4 years I have rarely seen them at all. In fact, I haven’t seen another Fiero in at least a year to a year and a half here in the Bay Area. My point is that there appears to be a sharp drop-off in the last few years regarding Fiero sightings on the road.
How about your area? Same thing? If so, what do you think is the reason for this sharp decline? Thanks, Kit

Low production numbers coupled with age make for a number of factors.

Low parts availability. Our draconian smog regs make them a challenge to keep on the road. There's one here in town which hasn't moved out of its driveway in the whole time I've seen it.

Did I mention low parts availability? The slightest damage makes insurance companies total the cars as they can't / won't find parts or consider the vehicle not economical to repair. Boom, off to the Pick-N-Pull they go.

Fieros at this point are an enthusiast's car, to put it nicely. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy mine ... but drive it every day? Err, no. Drive it in the rain? Hell no. I have a normal, front-wheel drive car that's comfortable and reliable for, you know, actual daily use.

Sane people just get an import econobox that's much newer and much, MUCH nicer a car.

That said, I've seen two running here in town plus mine, and we're smaller than SJ by a fair margin. Then again, I've seen three different Moslers here, one just up the block, so maybe you have all the Silicon Valley snobs buying Lamborghinis and out here in the country we get the nutjobs buying odd cars like Fieros

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 03-13-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many people daily drive their Fieros in good weather.
I drive my V-8 swapped Formula daily, three seasons out of the year.
PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I see many Fieros throughout California since I travel up and down the highway 5 corridor every week. Most of them are parked, a few are on the road. I just passed a burgundy GT in San Luis Obispo about a week ago. Believe it or not, the one person I always run into is Curly (Madcurl). He is usually traveling in his silver choptop.

I wish he would come back and also see more of Carlo and Bozzie. Engine man, Raydar, and Shemdog have filled the void some but I like a good fiberglass lesson. I miss Archie big time.

mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I wish he would come back and also see more of Carlo and Bozzie. Engine man, Raydar, and Shemdog have filled the void some but I like a good fiberglass lesson. I miss Archie big time.

mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mousemeat

124 posts
Member since May 2018

Originally posted by mousemeat:

same problem here in Memphis....I haven't seen another Fiero, in close to 2 years....nor have I've seen any parts cars....Now I've heard up the road in Nashville, some 200 miles, there's a couple of '87 GT's, running around...I sure hope so...but I do wish Memphis had some others as well.....people loved seeing my '87GT...

Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be another month or two and I will have my fieros out of storage... they have not seen the light of day in almost 2 years now. I drove a Fiero 3 to 4 days a week when I was living in Jacksonville FL. Soon to be doing that again. John I feel that I need to drive down the WPB (never figured that out either) just so you can see anoter Fiero on the road.

I have been just north of Seattle for the last year and have seen 3 Fieros on the road, 1 for sale at a gas station and another that looked like it was once very loved and now some what neglected. (Jet City Fieros are you alive any more???) In Jacksonville they were a bit harder to find, Ran into one at cars and coffee car show, but have seen maybe 2 on the road in the last couple of years. (Daytona aside of course)
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in Atlantic Canada, I see more for sale or parts cars than fieros on the road driving in sight.

They are getting rarer in sight here every year. Heck, even 15 years ago it was a treat to see one driving around.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

ItzZero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzZeroSend a Private Message to ItzZeroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in NorCal, and I have only seen one other since purchasing mine in November. It looked like an '85-ish notch that a kid was taking to the DMV in Bakersfield. Other than that, just mine.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You hardly ever see them on the road in my neck of the woods. Even at the big Friday night cruise nights in Somerville that attract a few hundred cars you don't see Fieros. I know of only two Fiero's that ever showed up at that event and one was mine.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK all you Fiero brothers and sisters. After reading all the above posts, its obvisous to me that we got to keep up the Fiero image. We're the soul survivors of a breed that's thinning out. But theres still enough of us left to keep the Fiero (legend ?) strong and apparent.
So lets keep our Fieros as clean as we can. Drive them more often to places they may stand out. Flex some muscle on the highway...yes, some fieros do move along quite well. I'm sure a lot of car enthuists talk about seeing our cars to their buddies, and we don't even know it. A lot of people really get a kick out of seeing mine.
So pull yours out of the garage and go for a nice spin. I bet a lot of others will be glad you did, enjoying seeing that "car' they knew somebody once had. I hear that story all the time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock