Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How Elaborate will Mr. Mike make a custom seat?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How Elaborate will Mr. Mike make a custom seat? by anaverin
Started on: 03-08-2019 03:26 PM
Replies: 17 (819 views)
Last post by: anaverin on 05-18-2019 01:26 AM
anaverin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, So the subject title is kind of a hook to get you in here. I started a dialog with Mr. Mike's Fiero Upholstery over 2 months ago, and oh boy has it been a journey!!! Ill start with a few pictures of my ridiculous fiero. IF you have a crazy custom seat from Mr.Mike, please post a picture here as well! I owe him a debt and would love to show off his work!
But wait, here are a few questions i get alot!

1. Did you paint it? A: No I didn't. It was painted in the 90s and has faded quite a bit since then, but I do like it alot.
2. Is this the original Chassis that this body was on? A: No, i bought the entire car (87 GT) for the body panels. It had some minor rust on the frame, which we worked on, and I sold it to my cousin (the chassis) who put on black 87 GT panels, so no cars were destroyed other then the ones that were already parted out long ago.

Initially I contacted mike to make some seats with some of the bright colors from the outside on the seats. What ensued however was a 2 month long process of calls, Emails, photoshops, as well as just good conversation with the man Mike himself. I cannot recommend this man enough!!!
Apparently he is pretty bored making standard fiero seats, he has been doing it since 1983. Looking for a challenge, he came to suggest that be might be able to make a patchwork of colors on the inserts of the seats themselves, that is in the style of the outside of the car. For reference, here is a close up of the the drivers side.

Not an easy task. Also, these colors are changing from the fading all across the car, so finding colors that match has been a PITA! luckily mike is awesome and we got some pieces that are close.

Special Thanks to Terry Ray for the Photoshop skills. I sent Mike a approximation of what we were imagining.

Anyway, he came up with a plan. That is the short of months of phone calls. We decided that we could not match the Green yellow color, so he is going to "dust" the edges of the pearl white with Florescent yellow (which is kind of green but more importantly matches) in the areas that you wont wear down to create the effect.

At this point I want to state, that Mike himself encouraged me to take the project this far, and he is not charging that much more for the work. In fact, I would say its the deal of the ages, given the amount of time we have already put in planning. He is also going to make a center console piece out of the same material.
Finally Yesterday I paid him. He refused to take any payments until the seats were partially made. So he is going to update me on the progress as it unfolds, and I plan to post it here. Here are the final details of the order.

I mostly want to give a shoutout to Mr. Mike's. If you have been thinking about a custom seat order, Give this man a call, even if you aren't ready yet. I can't decribe what an awesome experience it has been working on this project with him. Anything is possible!!

Fiero Leather-ette seats kit - $449.

Style: Custom - $XX.

Colors:

#8 Dark Gray Primary.

GT Strap: Dark Gray.

Centers: Primarily Pearlescent White Keyston, Pearl White #MBL-988

with strakes of: Pink - Action, Denali #41 Magenta and Yellow - Action Futura Apollo Florida Orange #APL-106.

*Dust the edges of the White near seams with Krylon Fluorescent Yellow.

*Strakes to be stitched at nonparallel angles to each other in the style of the outside of the vehicle.

I would like pink to hit a lot of the headrest on the driver’s side.

White should be in between the Pink and Florida Orange .

LOGO will land on white on both sides but both sides will not be semantically identical, instead it will look like the color spreads from seat to seat.

Welts: Lime Green.

Up & Over 2-tone.

Logos: Lime Green Fieros - $29.

Speaker holes: No.

+ Console saddle to be like seat centers (but random) - $XX.

UPS to WA - $39.

Total = $XXX.

------------------
86 SE FASTBACK T-TOPS
88 FORMULA 4.9
87 GT MEDIUM RED METALLIC stockish

EMAIL : Anaverin@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by anaverin (edited 03-08-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2019 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Alex! Vanessa and I say hello from Spokane. Thank you again for the invite to the Mt. St. Helens trip. Nice to see the Fiero.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had Mr. Mikes leather seat covers in my daily driver (87 GT) since 2004. I love them!!!

First class.

Seat heaters still work too!

If you are even remotely interested in seat covers. Mr. Mikes is the benchmark.

My humble opinion.

------------------
Paul

anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@R RUNNER Your car is my background image for my laptop.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like that paint job! The seats will look good in there for sure.

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: Restoration project
14 GMC Sierra: Daily Driver

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the car change color when you dip it in warm or cold water?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I loved those toys in the early 90's!
anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here I will start by posting a picture of some beautiful work he did on my wifes fiero!
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anaverin:

@R RUNNER Your car is my background image for my laptop.

The thought and creativity you put in to that colorscheme is outstanding. The car certainly stands out and the matching seats will really set it off.
Good job Sir.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a really cool paintjob; even if it's fading, I would be inclined to keep it.

I wonder if a light scuff and shooting clear over it can rejuvenate it.
tiretread

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tiretreadSend a Private Message to tiretreadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing of value to add to this thread other than I love that paint scheme!
anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironically the clear coat isn't fading it is the neon base under. I will be keeping it. I restored part of the roof already, so i am learning how to match it and fix it as needed.
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I met you at Damiens gathering earlier this year. The V8 car we drove that day has Mr. Mikes. Through the years we bought two more sets from Mike and a fourth set of his covers from a secondary seller. He has always been great to work with and the upholstery top notch. I have used both leather and vinyl, either way a nice product. As I recall, believe he was originally from Oregon! That is a one off paint job for sure. Tried to talk Lucas into needing that one when it was on Craigs. Keep up the good work.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a really cool paint job! The seats done to match are really gonna tie it together.

The first thing I though of, immediately when I saw it, was the old Fruit Stripe gum when I was a kid.

anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, i am waiting everyday for an update. But i don't want to bug mike too much!!! ahhhh! Send pictures of your seats guys! I need something to occupy my time.
anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a month, but just got off the phone with mike. He said he has been working on this project and documenting every step, that they plan to use it as a promo video for custom orders! I am told i may get some pictures tomorrow. EXCITING!
anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THEY ARE HERE! The most custom seats Mr. Mikes has ever made! (his words.) CHECK it out!

------------------
86 SE FASTBACK T-TOPS
88 FORMULA 4.9
87 GT MEDIUM RED METALLIC stockish

EMAIL : Anaverin@gmail.com

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way cool guys! I always thought that car had a sweet paintjob.
The retro ness is likely coming back into "style" in some ways as well. Getting good attention.
Its also cool that you promote Fiero events
Cool video as well!
anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you 2.5 . I appreciate your contributions to the fiero forum as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock