Started on: 03-08-2019 02:19 PM
Replies: 11 (484 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 03-13-2019 01:22 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you guys with 88s having a hard time finding wheels that fit.
On my old 88 GT I had the ASA AR1s that I got from Tire Rack but even those old standbys are not offered in the
17x7 38MM anymore at least in the Black with polished rim and at Tire Rack.
I called another place and they said they don`t carry ASA anymore.
Most of the other brands I have looked at have the 17x7 in 40mm or so which is good for the front but
then even going up to an 18x8 the offset is close to at least 40mm which I think tucks the rear wheel in too much.
I haven`t located a wheel that is 8" wide with an offset of say 35mm.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some VOXX Monzas on my Fiero (85 w/ 88 Rear suspension)....They are very good looking and very light (13.5 lbs....16 x 7 size).....Sadly, they are no longer manufactured. I did some online research and Konig makes a Lace wheel that seems to come in 17 x 7- 40 mm offset....They are apparently 18 lbs each. The 16 x 7 is lighter at 17 lbs and still 40 mm offset.....I have 205/55-16s up front and 225/55-16s in back......I am running General G-Max AS-05 all season high -performance tires which are 2-4 lbs lighter than most of the other tires....I have had good luck with them and they stick well and last 25,000 miles- I drive mine hard, drifting thru clover leafs all the time (Real drifting like going quickly, not showing off stupid stuff)...The tire sizes I picked were used on a number of popular cars, so there are numerous options- Although no "Extreme performance" tires like the Mich' Pilot Sport cup.....
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Koenigs would work.
17 x 7 40mm in front
17 x 8 35mm in rear
Thanks
Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess what “fits” is kinda subjective, at least to me. Some don’t mind some wheel/ tire to stick out and some like the tucked in look. But I see what your saying about the ‘88 since the front track width is different. I happen to have an ‘88 with 18x8 fronts and 18x9 out back all with 35mm offset. The tires are pretty big also, 235/40/18 front and 285/35/18 rear. I do admit that both stick out a little bit, but not a lot . The car is super low and it actually looks pretty good to me.

-Crasian
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think in some instances the ones sticking out a bit look good.
I have found that most suppliers show the same width and offset for all years of Fieros.
I think years ago when I got the wheels for my 88GT from Tire rack it listed the fronts at 7x17 38mm
and the rears at 8x17 35mm and they fit well. When I called Tire rack the other day nothing I said could
convince the guy that the 88s have a wider track in the front. He said they use the same size front and rear and if I bought something
that wasn`t listed for that car they wouldn`t honor any warranty. I realize that some of this is nit picking because the difference
between 35mm and 38mm is only less than 1/4" and how many people can tell 1/4"
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I think in some instances the ones sticking out a bit look good.
I have found that most suppliers show the same width and offset for all years of Fieros.
I think years ago when I got the wheels for my 88GT from Tire rack it listed the fronts at 7x17 38mm
and the rears at 8x17 35mm and they fit well. When I called Tire rack the other day nothing I said could
convince the guy that the 88s have a wider track in the front. He said they use the same size front and rear and if I bought something
that wasn`t listed for that car they wouldn`t honor any warranty. I realize that some of this is nit picking because the difference
between 35mm and 38mm is only less than 1/4" and how many people can tell 1/4"

ASA AR1 has a 17x8 35mm at Tire Rack. This is what I am looking to get. It does not look like they sell the 17x7 38mm. I wanted the 17x7 for the front and 17x8 for the rear. I guess I am stuck with 17x8 all around.
Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Crasian:

Well, I guess what “fits” is kinda subjective, at least to me. Some don’t mind some wheel/ tire to stick out and some like the tucked in look. But I see what your saying about the ‘88 since the front track width is different. I happen to have an ‘88 with 18x8 fronts and 18x9 out back all with 35mm offset. The tires are pretty big also, 235/40/18 front and 285/35/18 rear. I do admit that both stick out a little bit, but not a lot . The car is super low and it actually looks pretty good to me.

-Crasian

Crasian - any pics?
BodymanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BodymanBillSend a Private Message to BodymanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIER086:
ASA AR1 has a 17x8 35mm at Tire Rack. This is what I am looking to get. It does not look like they sell the 17x7 38mm. I wanted the 17x7 for the front and 17x8 for the rear. I guess I am stuck with 17x8 all around.

Nice!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My rule of thumb is to search for "VW New Beetle" wheels for 84-87, and the rear of 88s. That's your best shot at finding something with 35mm.
For the 88 front I search for later model "Subaru Impreza". Those will be more likely to be 40-48mm.

Also, I have found that if the front of the 88 is lowered, it tends to tuck the wheels under the car a bit. (Or at least it gives that illusion.)

These wheels are 17x8, 35mm in the rear, and 17x7, 38mm in the front. Tires are 235/45 and 215/45, R/F. (The rear has since been lowered a bit.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-12-2019).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang, Radar I was just about set on keeping my stock wheels because I really wasn`t sure about what would look good on a White car.
Then I saw this posting.
If I`m correct these are Borbet wheels, the same I had on my 85GT so long ago.
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

My rule of thumb is to search for "VW New Beetle" wheels for 84-87, and the rear of 88s. That's your best shot at finding something with 35mm.
For the 88 front I search for later model "Subaru Impreza". Those will be more likely to be 40-48mm.

Also, I have found that if the front of the 88 is lowered, it tends to tuck the wheels under the car a bit. (Or at least it gives that illusion.)

These wheels are 17x8, 35mm in the rear, and 17x7, 38mm in the front. Tires are 235/45 and 215/45, R/F. (The rear has since been lowered a bit.)

Those

wheels

are

perfection!

PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

Those

wheels

are

perfection!

I agree, I always liked those wheels.
Here they are on my 85GT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page