Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Can everyone tell me honestly what my Fiero is worth?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can everyone tell me honestly what my Fiero is worth? by SP1200
Started on: 02-18-2019 08:56 PM
Replies: 38 (999 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 03-03-2019 01:59 PM
SP1200

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've listed my baby on ebay because it's time to sell. I've done so much work, but maybe that's not good because my fiero isn't stock.
Its just not practical to have a garage in the SF bay area anymore, and i need to downsize my life. To keep my Fiero it's costing me about 800 a month.
And if I have to move in the next month or so, I've moving to Thailand for a new job.

So please everyone tell me what you think its is reasonably worth, so i can see it quick.

Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113650228076

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 02-18-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In its present condition, $4000 -$5000.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it really an '87? Possibly an '86?

One problem with mods, is unless they're exactly what the buyer wants, they often lower the price, not increase it. Myself, I'd rather not pay a premium for the rims and especially not for the black interior trim and the steering wheel. How did you plug the holes where the wing used to be? Is any wiring hacked up when you installed the new stereo? And the odometer issue can scare people off too.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a very nice car.

It's worth only what someone is willing to pay, and you are willing to accept.

If you are wanting to sell quickly, chances are it will be at a lower price than it's actually worth.

If the windshield is cracked, as the one picture appears to show, that is a very visible price knocker.
The engine picture shows the heater core return pipe on the water pump, not used on an 87.
Was the passenger side under-car coolant tube replaced with one from an earlier year?
It also appears to have a 4-speed transmission, not used in 87.
The 86 and up GT's came with a 120 speedo, how did an 85 mph speedo find it's way into the car, requiring you to change it back to a 120?

Good luck with selling, I hope you get a good price for the car.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-19-2019).]

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This car is an 86. ugh. Cant believe I thought it was the 87 that I sold decades ago.
Sorry for the confusion guys.

All valid points and i appreciate the input guys.

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

Originally posted by css9450:

Is it really an '87? Possibly an '86?

One problem with mods, is unless they're exactly what the buyer wants, they often lower the price, not increase it. Myself, I'd rather not pay a premium for the rims and especially not for the black interior trim and the steering wheel. How did you plug the holes where the wing used to be? Is any wiring hacked up when you installed the new stereo? And the odometer issue can scare people off too.

Thanks for the input. See problem is I don't know what "premium" price is as most fieros I see on ebay are ether complete junk for 1600 or they look good and are listed for 8,000 or even 12,000

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One suggestion with your Ebay listing, remove or move the photo with the decklid missing. Its the main photo that comes up and makes your car look like a project car. If it was me I would just include pictures of the car in its current condition, that is what people will be buying.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I was able I would start with an offer around $3000 as there are issues with the car. I wouldn't go over $4500 for the car and it would take a lot of convincing to get me there.

I scratch my head that you put that much work into the car then leave such little things undone when you are trying to sell it.
Good luck with the sale.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would spend the money and replace the windshield.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SP1200:

Thanks for the input. See problem is I don't know what "premium" price is as most fieros I see on ebay are ether complete junk for 1600 or they look good and are listed for 8,000 or even 12,000

Ebay is not a good place to judge "prices". You will need to look around local and use your best judgement. These guys have definitely given you some good advice already.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me a good "sell it quick" price is around $3000, maybe less. I think if you wait you could get 4. I don't think you'll get 6.

Also I would remove that stuff about being your garage queen since your 20s. No one knows how old you are now so no one knows how long that is
PFF
System Bot
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Ebay is not a good place to judge "prices". You will need to look around local and use your best judgement.

Just to add to the above...

The asking prices on eBay are worthless in helping to estimate the value of your car.

Scroll down on the left column of the search list to "Show Only" and select "Completed listings". The prices shown in black are those that ended without a sale. You will often see the same car shown multiple times when the car has been relisted repeatedly.

The price shown in green is the price the car actually sold for. These are your eBay "comps".

I would also add that eBay "sold" prices may not reflect what your car might actually be worth if sold locally. I personally would never pay market price for a car I have not seen and driven myself before bidding, unless it was a true collector car sold by someone with a solid verifiable reputation.

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

If I was able I would start with an offer around $3000 as there are issues with the car. I wouldn't go over $4500 for the car and it would take a lot of convincing to get me there.

I scratch my head that you put that much work into the car then leave such little things undone when you are trying to sell it.
Good luck with the sale.

The little things?... to me they were last over the performance. This car was originally a automatic, and the conversion to manual was most important o me at the time. You are referring to the AC and other sutff? I dont know anything about what makes a car worth its value, can you help point out the little things.

Thanks for you input.

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 02-19-2019).]

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I would spend the money and replace the windshield.

How much would that cost?

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone here wants it for 5k outside of ebay and paypal fees that be great. just email me.
seanscarbrough@gmail.com

If anyone here wants my Fiero you can have it for 5k.
I have a lot of extra parts too.

I love this car so i care about who has it next..

I cant stand my life here anymore...every day is a struggle...

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 02-21-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, Do Not use Ebay GL etc for prices. Most are way off like trying get some to all money back for a failed project etc or worse are a complete scams.
Some look a NADA but the book only list prices based on stock cars. 86 Fiero GT w/ SR and V6 low $1,615 Ave $3,800 high $6,721 (retail price)

"Cracked windshield, passenger side, not in direct view." Right Now... One crack can become many very easy. Viewers in some other states will need to fix it before driving because any crank won't pass inspection and/or target for stop by cops.
No AC is dead end to many as well. Restoring AC open to air can be a giant pain and cost big $ worse w/ iffy/dead evaporator you can't get. System will get air dirt etc inside and will need more the a flush to fix this.
This two problem mean a car w/ big problems and most won't even spend $1000 - $2000.

Moding a car then should expect you lost most or all of that money. Many simple don't care or want your mods no matter what else you claim.
Sorry but Brakes and Suspension mods alone are none starters for many too and will need to spend money to fix them. Fixing or Restoring these items can easily cost $1000+.
Examples:
Polly CA bushing have a long history of noise problems and can and often have worn even w/o making noise.
Lowered cars often have more problems w/ bent CA(s) iffy BJ(s) etc because often CA hit the frame and car hits the ground.
Hacked Brake "Upgrades" often means problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-20-2019).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've personally banged 14 girls in this ride! lol.

Auugghhh! Too much information!

Fiero windshields are fortunately among the cheaper ones out there. Sure, it'll be an aftermarket windshield, but installing it will make the view out the window seem like you're in an entire new car since all the years of scratches and rock nicks will be gone.

How good is the paint? We all know its been repainted, but they didn't mask (or remove) the frames around the inside of the sail windows, and they didn't paint the shelf by the trunk where the taillight screws are. You've mentioned red overspray on the door trim... Not a confidence builder. Front bumper has some peeling paint.

Transmission swap might scare people off too. My car too had a swap done some point way back when (by noted shop Twin Lakes Fiero) but if I were shopping for another Fiero today, I'd go to great lengths to find one with the transmission I really want, not a swap. Too many little issues remain. Little things; for example mine has the wrong steering column, the ACC position on the ignition doesn't work, there are a few remaining parts left over as evidence of its previous configuration, etc. Nothing that creates any problems but if I ever sold the car, I'd have to fess up what all has been done because a picky buyer would notice them.

Its a nice car, don't get us wrong, but not a premium-priced one. The $3000 price mentioned above is a good one.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero windshields are fortunately among the cheaper ones out there. Sure, it'll be an aftermarket windshield, but installing it will make the view out the window seem like you're in an entire new car since all the years of scratches and rock nicks will be gone.
Yes but this on top of no AC and other issues and many to most will laugh at trying to get $6000. Many will see this as a parts car or maybe a project car and give ~ $1000 or less w/ or w/o the "new" wheels included depending on buyer.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would install the third brake light or remove the picture of the interior showing the wiring hanging from the ceiling.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

17905 posts
Member since May 2004
Quoted from above....

"Truth is guys, I'm selling everything I own to chase my dream job of corporate security for a big multinational corporation in Asia."

Rather than moving to somewhere that has no personal freedoms, why don't you try moving to the REAL America?

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-20-2019).]

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quoted from above....

... why don't you try moving to the REAL America?

> Location: San Francisco

LMAO couldn't have said it better myself!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 02-20-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow

So with the additional information $1500

Wow
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How good is the paint? We all know its been repainted, but they didn't mask (or remove) the frames around the inside of the sail windows, and they didn't paint the shelf by the trunk where the taillight screws are. You've mentioned red overspray on the door trim... Not a confidence builder. Front bumper has some peeling paint.

Transmission swap might scare people off too. My car too had a swap done some point way back when (by noted shop Twin Lakes Fiero) but if I were shopping for another Fiero today, I'd go to great lengths to find one with the transmission I really want, not a swap. Too many little issues remain. Little things; for example mine has the wrong steering column, the ACC position on the ignition doesn't work, there are a few remaining parts left over as evidence of its previous configuration, etc. Nothing that creates any problems but if I ever sold the car, I'd have to fess up what all has been done because a picky buyer would notice them.

Its a nice car, don't get us wrong, but not a premium-priced one. The $3000 price mentioned above is a good one.

Wow! Thanks! That all makes perfect sense how you broke it down.

I'll edit my listing to show my exact mods so the buyer can make a decision.
I didn't cut springs, but found the perfect fit for this ride. I'll post the details.

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lowered price to 5,500
5,000 to anyone here outside of ebay and paypal

Details about the suspension: I know very well there are some bad suspension mods out there. But I have NO cut springs! Geometry and balance is perfect! (This took many years to achieve) I have the Front: Mogg #6556 (197lbs 13" with 1" Rodny Dickman drop ball joint) Rear: AFCO Racing Coilover Springs #22275CR (275lbs 12") The poly bushings are perfect, and do not make any noise. The Front shocks (Monroe sensa Trac) and Rear Struts (KYB) absorb impact and vibration perfectly. For the engine this car currently has, it is perfect!
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

Hey thanks for your input. Yeah I realize that moding my fiero to the way I wanted it might not have been the best for resale value. ugh. Just never thought id ever want to sell it. and truth is i still don't want to sell it. lol.

However having pride in my mods, I did do all the proper work in my auto to manual swap. I remember changing the wire harness and the steering column for the manual trans. I also remember having to change and reconfigure some terminals in the engine wire harness at the battery terminal area. as well as changing the cab wire harness, and even the headlight harness to upgrade to the second generation headlight motors and controller.

**** i did a lot of proper work here. I need to add this to my ebay listing.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for modifications it all depends.

#1 the quality of the work.

#2 the documentation of the work.

#3 the type of modifications. If they are things like a DGP scoop or TTop it can actually add to the value.

#4 the taste of the modifications. If you put an interior in that looks like someone threw up crayolas in it don’t expect a big return.

The greatest killer here is miles. There are a lot of low mike cars out there cheap so they get noticed first.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quoted from above....

"Truth is guys, I'm selling everything I own to chase my dream job of corporate security for a big multinational corporation in Asia."

Rather than moving to somewhere that has no personal freedoms, why don't you try moving to the REAL America?

Did you miss the part about "dream job?" I can live like a king in Asia. If you've traveled the world you would know there are not many places in the USA where one can live like a king.

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 02-22-2019).]

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

Originally posted by Shho13:

> Location: San Francisco

LMAO couldn't have said it better myself!

I'm actually up in Sonoma wine country. Grew up here. Whole family lives here, yeah, poor me.
Note: I'm also a republican, so please don't judge based on location.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not judging you at all, just commenting on the state you live in.

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not judging you at all, just commenting on the state you live in.

Ok so you hate California? Save it for the political forums.
Whats does this have to do with my Fiero?

I'm selling everything I own to GTFO!
I hate it too! So yeah. join the club.

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 02-22-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I almost moved there back in the late 80's. Beautiful state!

Good luck to you in your endeavors!
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2019 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you miss the part about "dream job?" I can live like a king in Asia. If you've traveled the world you would know there are not many places in the USA where one can live like a king.

Asia is a big place. What part? Lebanon? Turkey? India? Iran,? Afghanistan? Russia? Japan?

In reality I'm pretty sure you're talking about an East Asian country or China.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2019 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016

I almost moved there back in the late 80's. Beautiful state!

Good luck to you in your endeavors!

I was fortunate enough to visit California several times while some family lived there. Fantastic state for tourism. We dinked around Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Henry Cowell, Yosemite and down to Santa Cruz a few times. I like the Redwoods most of all.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Asia is a big place. What part? Lebanon? Turkey? India? Iran,? Afghanistan? Russia? Japan?

In reality I'm pretty sure you're talking about an East Asian country or China.

HK, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines.

Been to all but Hong Kong. I hear it pretty tight living.

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

Thanks for the input guys. I needed a reality check.
I've adjusted price. If doesnt sell i'll just find a place to store it.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2019 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys. If someone here want's it. I'll take $3800 cash in hand. I'm done being sentimental.

This wasn't about me trying to "dump" a project car on anyone. This car is pretty complete. I just honestly thought my Fiero was worth more. To me I've just done so much to it. In the last year I spent over 2k in parts alone from the fiero store...but I realize that doesn't make it worth more then it is..

If I kept this damn car any longer I'm just going to keep spending more and more on it.. its pointless.

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 02-23-2019).]

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now it's $3800 here, $4000 on eBay, and it went from $3900 to $5400 on Craigslist?

https://sfbay.craigslist.or...o-gt/6826104731.html
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In all due honesty, keep the car. Put a non-op on it and when you are ready, start driving. You will probably regret selling it unless you are in dire need for cash.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock