absplutely NO SPARK by fierofrenzy
Started on: 02-18-2019 08:08 PM
Replies: 14 (327 views)
Last post by: wgpierce on 02-24-2019 04:43 PM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im back....again. Yea, I'm the guy who just "scored the greatest find ever", if you read the recent post. Now it sure would be nice if the car that sat under those louvers started, now wouldn't it.
So heres the problem. There is absolutely NO SPARK what-so-ever. So far I've replaced the ignition module and the coil with brand new units. Nothin....
I ran the "backyard" test of placing a spark plug in the coil to distributor wire to test for spark. Still nothin.....it should spark when you crank the motor, right ?
The only thing left that I can see is the ignition pick up on the distributor shaft.
What do you think. Is that the problem ? And if so, how do you replace it. There is a circular metal piece right above it that's under the rotor. Looks to me to be pressed on there.
Fiero Store got them and there not expensive, so its worth the shot.
So, any ideas? Thanks...….
Oh, were talking about the 88 Formula here
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres a good thread on here somewhere about changing the pick up
is your rotor/cap on good?
Coil have power?
Tach move while cranking?

prolly have better luck in tech w this one

shem
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's usually good practice to replace the pickup coil at the same time as the ICM. Heck, it's cheap enough!

Make sure the spring loaded center electrode thingy inside the distributor cap that rides on the rotor is still there. Don't ask me how I know about this potential issue.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-19-2019).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a complete distributor on Amazon for under $75.00. Comes with new cap / rotor and ICM. I'm sure the ICM is not the best so I would recommend that a higher quality ICM be installed and the one tht comes in the dizzy be kept as a spare.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey shemdogg and everybody else. Yep your right. I ran a search on here and theres an excellent 9 minute video on how to replace the pickup coil. It doesn't look hard at all, but you do have to remover the distributor because it comes apart from the bottom. So I'm going with the new pickup coil. I'll post back when I replace the coil and tell you all if this fixed the no spark problem.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although replacement of the pickup coil is easy, the distributor is still decades old.
Buy a new one, they are a better design than OEM and the bushings and gear are not worn.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-19-2019).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hummmm, that makes a lot of cense. Let me sleep on it and think it over. Zzzzzzzz……...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pull tack filter then check other problems.
See my Cave, HE Ignition

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

Hey shemdogg and everybody else. Yep your right. I ran a search on here and theres an excellent 9 minute video on how to replace the pickup coil. It doesn't look hard at all, but you do have to remover the distributor because it comes apart from the bottom. So I'm going with the new pickup coil. I'll post back when I replace the coil and tell you all if this fixed the no spark problem.

Could you post that video here please?

I'm having this issue today...but it's intermittent. I've already replaced the cap and rotor, i got an ICM and pickup coil, but the thing fired right up when i tried it again this morning. So, its a little hard to diagnose.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could post the video on here for you to see. Sorry, but I don't know how to transfer it . Heres how you can see it though. Go to the "search" link. Enter in "replace pick-up coil" in all active forums. A post will pop up that was placed years ago titled " replace on not to replace pick-up coil". scroll down and you'll see the video ready to click onto. Watch the whole thing, its worth it if you plan on taking your distributor apart.

I have a new Cardone distributor on the way. Once I install it I'll post on what happened. If you hear an explosion, dial 911...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2019 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wish I could post the video on here for you to see. Sorry, but I don't know how to transfer it.

Is it hosted on YouTube? If so, it's very simple to link in a post.

[youtube]copy and paste URL/web address here with no spaces[/youtube]
PFF
System Bot
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134156.html

Here is that post

Thanks, I ordered a distributor from my local parts store. I'll get it replaced and hopefully that will fix it. Of course i get home from work and it fires right up no problem....
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oregon88

148 posts
Member since Feb 2016

Originally posted by theogre:

pull tack filter then check other problems.
See my Cave, HE Ignition

Thanks for all your hard work dumbing all that down for a big doofus like me. lol
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oregon88:

Of course i get home from work and it fires right up no problem...

That's not unusual at all with a failing ICM.

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2019 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He fixed it!!

Ok you guys...and gals, who were keeping track of my ignition problem of no spark. Well, as the topic title states, SHE'S FIXED ! The problem came down to be the distributor. I installed a brand new Cardone unit, and my Formula started right up like she just rolled off the assembly line.
If you recall, I first replaced the ignition module with no avail, then moved on to the coil with also no results. I was then going to replace the ignition coil, until one of you suggested I just buy a whole new distributor. Well, thanks on that one, cause I'm sure glad I did. And when I first took it out of the shipping box, man was I happy . A brand new, shinny, complete distributor for the total cost of around $85 dollars. That included FED -ex speedy shipping.
So the Formulas once again up and running. Thank you all who participated in my other post.

editors note. since most of the ignition parts replaced were good to start with ( hey I made a joke.... to START WTH , get it...hahaha) Im gonna sell the stuff. Go to the mall if you want it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock