Started on: 12-14-2018 02:11 AM
Replies: 13 (402 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 01-04-2019 03:07 PM
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2018 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey everyone, a member clued me in on something and I wanted to share. There’s a kit car place near Dallas that has a couple of surplus Cobalt 2008+ F23 NOS transmissions, new and never installed, with 0 miles. These are the wrong bolt pattern for our engines, including a 3800, BUT they have the best gearing out of the F23’s for daily driving, and the internals can be swapped into a case with the correct bolt pattern (2000-2002 Sunfire or Cavalier with the 2.2 engine). Basically you’d have a brand new transmission in a used case.

They’re asking $450 plus shipping for however many they have left. Mine was delivered yesterday but I haven’t had a chance to open the package yet to check it over. Once I open it tomorrow, I’ll post pics and their contact info. I want to be sure everything is good first though. Hoping to have good news, I’ll update tomorrow one way or the other.

If this is good to go I’ll be posting my already swapped F23 up for sale in the near future. It has the better gearing swapped into the right case but I’d rather have the new internals, so the other one will go soon.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-14-2018).]

IP: Logged

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2018 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbClick Here to Email wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought you can just swap the bell housings and not have to touch the internals. Just going by memory here so I could be wrong. Looked it up here is a link : http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087296.html

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 12-14-2018).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2018 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I thought you can just swap the bell housings and not have to touch the internals. Just going by memory here so I could be wrong. Looked it up here is a link : http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087296.html

See that’s what I thought too but when the guy that did my swap got to it, he said it wasn’t that simple. I asked another member too and he agreed with my guy. They both said it had to be a full case swap. Since I’m not knowledgeable I had to trust what they said.

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2018 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbClick Here to Email wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In that case I wish you luck. As soon as I saw Dallas TX the only place I could think of was Fast Fieros and that shop has a horrible rep. And I am pretty sure that both your guys are wrong. If you can't do the work yourself on an old car, you better have deep pockets.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2018 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

In that case I wish you luck. As soon as I saw Dallas TX the only place I could think of was Fast Fieros and that shop has a horrible rep. And I am pretty sure that both your guys are wrong. If you can't do the work yourself on an old car, you better have deep pockets.

Lloyd (Fast Fieros) is long gone. I’m going to grab another Cavi / Sunfire F23 and take them both to a trans shop to see for myself. The other member I asked has more experience with these than most people. He said case swap as well, so I had no reason to doubt it at the time. I’m back on track to getting things right with my swap. I don’t have the deepest of pockets but I’ve learned you get what you pay for.

modemeagle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2018 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for modemeagleSend a Private Message to modemeagleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Hey everyone, a member clued me in on something and I wanted to share. There’s a kit car place near Dallas that has a couple of surplus Cobalt 2008+ F23 NOS transmissions, new and never installed, with 0 miles. These are the wrong bolt pattern for our engines, including a 3800, BUT they have the best gearing out of the F23’s for daily driving, and the internals can be swapped into a case with the correct bolt pattern (2000-2002 Sunfire or Cavalier with the 2.2 engine). Basically you’d have a brand new transmission in a used case.

They’re asking $450 plus shipping for however many they have left. Mine was delivered yesterday but I haven’t had a chance to open the package yet to check it over. Once I open it tomorrow, I’ll post pics and their contact info. I want to be sure everything is good first though. Hoping to have good news, I’ll update tomorrow one way or the other.

If this is good to go I’ll be posting my already swapped F23 up for sale in the near future. It has the better gearing swapped into the right case but I’d rather have the new internals, so the other one will go soon.

I am definitely interested. I was going to pick up a used one on Monday with unknown mileage for 300 but would rather have NOS instead. I also just purchased most of the tools needed to fully disassemble the F23 trans to make the swap and/or rebuilds easier.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2018 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just cut the outside box but didn’t take it out of the crate. It’s what they claimed, NOS trans and packaged very well. Anyone that wants pics and details, pm me. I’m not near a pc to post them.

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2018 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroClick Here to Email KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

have you verified what final drive ratio they are? I would only be interested in the 3.63 ratio.
I found some NOS ones a while back but they were 3.83 ratio.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2018 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

have you verified what final drive ratio they are? I would only be interested in the 3.63 ratio.
I found some NOS ones a while back but they were 3.83 ratio.

The 08+ Cobalts had the 3.63, but I’ll verify it by the stamping.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-16-2018).]

modemeagle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2018 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for modemeagleSend a Private Message to modemeagleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

The 08+ Cobalts had the 3.63, but I’ll verify it by the stamping.

I just spoke with Adam and he says they are all the 3.84 2008 Cobalt F23.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2018 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by modemeagle:

I just spoke with Adam and he says they are all the 3.84 2008 Cobalt F23.

Thanks I had it on my list to call him today too to verify. They switched at some point in late 08 between the two gearings, and they had listed this as the economy version so I assumed it was the 3.63 version. It’s still a deal for anyone considering the price. I have the 3.63 gearing in the one I have now so I’ll just have the final drive switched out if it’s in decent enough shape. If anyone else wants their contact info, I’ll just post it here.

Adam Doyle
DF Kit Car
469-552-9366
dfkitcar.com

AndrewTHG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2019 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone ever get a final answer on this? If one of these F23's is purchased, can it be as simple as a bell housing swap, or do all the internals need dropped into the old case?

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2019 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbClick Here to Email wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The F23 is split at the bell housing. The gear set side and where it bolts the the bell housing are the same, so all bell housings are interchangeable without taking the gear sets apart. This thread by Justinbart has the most pictures and best info. And it shows what a F23 can stand up to.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121743.html

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2019 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the issue is around the usage of transmission mounts. The different vintages of the F23 transmissions (specifically the gear case side of the transmission housing) have different transmission mount locations. So if you have an existing F23 install or an existing set of F23 transmission mounts, then you have to swap the gear set into your case halves to reuse your transmission mounts. If you are just collecting parts for a future swap, you can just swap the bellhousing half of the case and buy the appropriate mounts for the later model gear side of the transmission housing.

The later model versions do have a slightly longer input shaft that needs to be ground down slightly as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock