Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Back after 18 year hiatus - finally got my 1986 GT!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Back after 18 year hiatus - finally got my 1986 GT! by scholar
Started on: 12-02-2018 12:26 PM
Replies: 15 (442 views)
Last post by: Voided on 12-21-2018 03:48 AM
scholar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scholarSend a Private Message to scholarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 1986 SE V6 in September 1996 and named her Red Oktober.

I also ran this silly website for the local Fiero owners group that I founded - it was me an one other guy.

I was a kid and drove the car pretty hard. It was my daily driver but I also participated in a couple of track days, plus the usual teenager s**t-kicking that cars get. Head gasket failed in 1999 - I replaced the gasket but she didn't run properly, and I was out of money so I let her go. I have regretted that day for 18 years. Oh, I sold the turbocharger that I pulled off a wrecked Fiero too (why?!).

I've been married for 14 years now, and my wife has had to listen to me lament about the Fiero. And interrupt her when she's speaking and I see one: "FIERO! Babe, did you see it?! It was a Fiero!"

I was watching one on Craigslist with no intent of buying it because it was $3,500. After a few weeks, it dropped to $2,500. Then one night it dropped to $1,495 - I turned the ad towards my wife and she simple said "You must buy it".

Here she is:

4-speed Muncie, 154,500 kilometres on the odometer. Tach doesn't work. Paint isn't in great shape. Previous owner did the stupid "cold air intake in a hot engine compartment" mod. Original tape deck is gone. Seats need recovering. Fastback panels are some cheap after-market plastic. But she runs and looks great!

Pennock's was just getting started when I left the game. V-8 Archie had a chopped-roof prototype. Ecotec swap, WTF is that?! I'm so glad to be back! I've had a permanent grin on my face for 3 weeks. Sometimes, I'll just stand in the driveway and stare at her.

If anyone is still reading, I have a question:

In 1997 I purchased an exhaust kit from an Ontario, Canada manufacturer. Pipe came off the exhaust manifold crossover pipe, ran into a glass pack, then split to the exhaust tips. Poor description, but anyone who saw it (including the local installer that I hired) was blown away at how simple the design was and how well-fabbed it was. I think I paid less than $300 for it (excluding tips) - I was only 17 so couldn't have afforded much. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

[This message has been edited by scholar (edited 12-02-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back you have a lot to catch up with.

https://www.fierostore.com
www.rodneydickman.com

Most of my Fiero supplies came from those two vendors. TFS has some performance exhausts listed you may want to look at.

scholar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scholarSend a Private Message to scholarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was so happy to see that Rodney Dickman is still around. I remember him from the mailing lists back in the day. I need to be careful not to spend all of my money on his site!

The exhaust I’m looking for is like the Ocelot, but without a muffler.

[This message has been edited by scholar (edited 12-02-2018).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although probably not the same exhaust manufacturer, these guys have the same type of complete kit that you mentioned. Their system is stainless steel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mo...em-NEW-/381232224132

See this thread for more images:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091641.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-02-2018).]

scholar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scholarSend a Private Message to scholarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! This is the style of exhaust I’m talking about!

Do I rebuild my 2.8 or go for a 3800? Swap seems like a lot of complications and expense.
Phlebmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhlebmasterSend a Private Message to PhlebmasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back! Nice GT .... you and I share a few similarities with the Fiero and wife storyline. Glad you are here!

------------------
Aaron H
1986 Fiero GT 2.8- A dream car of mine since childhood- Stock now, but looking for creative options to upgrade this wonderful car
2000 Caddy Deville- Has the Northstar- possible donor engine

HaliCop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HaliCopSend a Private Message to HaliCopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back scholar. My name is Caleb and I'm a Fieroholic. I too had one in the very early 2000s which i cherished and was a very active member of this forum. Made the mistake of trading it for an 85 Trans Am and regretted it ever since.

My wife is also getting sick of me constantly watching fiero videos, researching fieros and chasing down every one we see on the streets. After almost 15 years of that she has finally agreed to let me get one to shut me up. Little does she know it will only make it worse.
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a Fieroholic too !!! If I could get my Fiero up the stairs, thru the door, and into my bedroom, I'd probably sleep with it !
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uhm....Fierofrenzy? There is a little thing called a sledgehammer and along with a power-winch this is easily doable!
I have done this but my carbon monoxide detector keeps going off. I guess I should shut the engine down sometimes.
But it is just so sweet!!....LOL....LOL....LOL
HaliCop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HaliCopSend a Private Message to HaliCopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

I'm a Fieroholic too !!! If I could get my Fiero up the stairs, thru the door, and into my bedroom, I'd probably sleep with it !

OK. Let's all band together, take a roadtrip to Georgia and make this a reality. I can't wait to clear out the basement garage "Spousal Avoidance Centre" and stuff a Fiero in there.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't it just be easier to go out and sleep in the car.....?
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Build a small addition next to the master bedroom. And put a garage door on one side lol

shem
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2018 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘
scholar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2018 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scholarSend a Private Message to scholarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. It’s good to have a support group to help me through this period of my life.
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2018 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know what you mean, I've been a Fiero fan since they were introduced, this was before there even was a Fiero forum and I]used to receive newsletters from Phil & Gloria. So way back. We had three of them including ChopTop #4, sold them to buy a couple of Solstices's. Still pop in here from time to time because I'm still a fan of the Fiero.

ChopTop #4, sold to Fiero member Exotise.
[img]

[img]

[This message has been edited by ChopTop (edited 12-15-2018).]

Voided

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2018 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoidedSend a Private Message to VoidedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I think I'm getting ready to take the plunge myself.

after 20 years of lurking and absorbing what info I could, I nearly bought a 3.4TDC 88 when I worked at GM for a spell, but missed the bus.

I am kicking the options around on the engine swap front, and one of the 60* 3.6's with VVT would do nicely. just take the whole thing, computer, gauge cluster out of the dash, radio ect, and make it do the do.

250 NA horsepower. no muss, no fuss.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock